Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:01 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
That was never uber's original intent and your just making stuff up. If you are not happy with the way things are take it up with your employer not the customer. Free will employment means you are free to find another job if you don't like it.
He seems to think that tipping is mandatory everywhere. What I will say is, I don't like that Uber gives you three options basically for tipping. Sometimes I prefer to pick a nice round amount rather than a percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 02:05 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You two are examples of the extremes.... We have one person who is exercising his right to not tip to the extreme, and another person who thinks people should tip for every GD thing. We had this discussion in another thread, and while I agree with NYer that tipping is out of control here in NYC, I certainly DO tip for most things.
I enjoy amazon, because I don't have to deal with the hassle of a middleman. In NYC everyone is running a hustle and playing middleman to scheme some money off the top. Whether sale tax, overcharge for services and good, and expecting a tip on top of it. How many of this people even pay taxes on their cash income, yet want to talk about how I owe it to society to do what best for them.

I am not some entertainer trying to make it rain money across the city, I am just an average joe trying to survive the high cost of living here for another day. I pay far more than my fair share of taxes and yet what crappy services do we receive for it. How many corrupt people are walking around here and yet somehow I am the bad person because I decide I don't want to tip when the business that provides the services, tells me it is optional at best.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:07 PM

431 posts, read 660,041 times
I tip 3-5 dollars.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:09 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
I enjoy amazon, because I don't have to deal with the hassle of a middleman. In NYC everyone is running a hustle and playing middleman to scheme some money off the top. Whether sale tax, overcharge for services and good, and expecting a tip on top of it. How many of this people even pay taxes on their cash income, yet want to talk about how I owe it to society to do what best for them.

I am not some entertainer trying to make it rain money across the city, I am just an average joe trying to survive the high cost of living here for another day. I pay far more than my fair share of taxes and yet what crappy services do we receive for it. How many corrupt people are walking around here and yet somehow I am the bad person because I decide I don't want to tip when the business that provides the services to me, tells me it is optional at best.
Haha I agree... I counteract all of the tipping by eating at home more, ordering out less, and taking Ubers less as well. For my recent meetings I had planned to take Ubers only, but I wound up taking Uber only a few times, the subway once and planned my other trips with the express bus and commuter rail since they were outside of Manhattan in Queens.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Depends. If it is a longer ride and the driver was courteous. I took uber today because it was raining. On a sunny day my walk would be an easy 18 mins. Driver waited 12 mins to move (searching for other pax). Then took a scenic route to my destination. I was going to miss my Lirr train so i jumped out before i arrived at my destination and sprinted 4 mins to the station. An 18 min walk turned into a 30 min uber ordeal and I still had to walk(run!) A third of the way.
P.s. his Gps was still showing 8 mins to go!

No tip for that dude.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:07 PM

1,035 posts, read 673,999 times
Quote:
That was never uber's original intent and your just making stuff up. If you are not happy with the way things are take it up with your employer not the customer. Free will employment means you are free to find another job if you don't like it.
So let me ask you - do you tip a yellow cab ?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:17 PM

1,035 posts, read 673,999 times
I tip 1-2$ because my rides are usually less than $10 , I take the pool rides

Old 10-04-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
So let me ask you - do you tip a yellow cab ?
I tipped $2-$3 dollars, because I felt force to do so. I switched to uber, because they specifically advertised the convenience of not haggling over money at the end of your trip. You simply exit the car and pay later. No obligation to tip whatsoever.

When I take long taxi rides (airport) I specifically call the Chinese taxi companies, because fixed prices.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:11 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
I tipped $2-$3 dollars, because I felt force to do so. I switched to uber, because they specifically advertised the convenience of not haggling over money at the end of your trip. You simply exit the car and pay later. No obligation to tip whatsoever.
Lyft works the same way. So do cabs if you use the curb app. Otherwise, it’s “give me x” back or keep the change. Not rocket science.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Lyft works the same way. So do cabs if you use the curb app. Otherwise, it’s “give me x” back or keep the change. Not rocket science.
Lyft and Uber back in the day had promotions where you get $20 dollars to sign up. I never bothered to sign up for curb app. So it usually cash or credit with yellow taxi cab. Best time to take them was when uber and lyft were being shameful with the price surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City