Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When people talk about Fort Greene, they’re usually talking about quaint brownstone Fort Greene, but the fact of the matter is a huge portion of the population lives in housing projects in the northern part of Fort Greene. Park Slope has zero housing projects, just proximity to some and Bed-Stuy is a massive neighborhood that runs a gamut. There’s been a large hasidic increase in the northwestern parts of Bed-Stuy and a lot of transplant gentrification on the western and southern part of Bed-Stuy and that’s the part that’s grown as an extension of gentrified brownstone Brooklyn. The most recent trend is that the northern part of Bed-Stuy is also seeing a bit of gentrification and that’s through a younger crowd that’s been growing with North Brooklyn Williamsburg and Bushwick.
I don't think many people realize the number of housing projects at Park Slope's doorsteps, to include Warren Street Gardens and Wycoff Gardens. These projects are literally within 2 blocks or less of Park Slope's western border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 10:12 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't think many people realize the number of housing projects at Park Slope's doorsteps, to include Warren Street Gardens and Wycoff Gardens. These projects are literally within 2 blocks or less of Park Slope's western border.
It's not comparable to Bed-Stuy

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-20-2019, 10:40 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Right, but there’s still a proximity difference of having them in the neighborhood and a couple blocks away. Also, those projects aren’t the size of the Fort Greene ones (and bordering Fort Greene ones, like the massive Farragut houses) nor a few of the Bed-Stuy ones.

Bed-Stuy is a large heterogeneous neighborhood. There’s definitely heavy gentrification going on especially on its western, southwestern parts, but the overall census stats sort of lose detail. Some people use percentage increase of white non-hispanic populations as a proxy for gentrification, but it’s especially difficult with Bed-Stuy given its size. One factor is that a substantial component of the white non-hispanic population is spillover from south Williamsburg of the burgeoning Hasidic community which occupies and often owns a lot of the buildings in the northwest portion. Another is that gentrification in Bed-Stuy also has a sizable working professional black component to it.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:39 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's not comparable to Bed-Stuy
Bed Stuy as a whole, I agree. But when talking about substantial parts of Bed Stuy, that's more debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, but there’s still a proximity difference of having them in the neighborhood and a couple blocks away. Also, those projects aren’t the size of the Fort Greene ones (and bordering Fort Greene ones, like the massive Farragut houses) nor a few of the Bed-Stuy ones.

Bed-Stuy is a large heterogeneous neighborhood. There’s definitely heavy gentrification going on especially on its western, southwestern parts, but the overall census stats sort of lose detail. Some people use percentage increase of white non-hispanic populations as a proxy for gentrification, but it’s especially difficult with Bed-Stuy given its size. One factor is that a substantial component of the white non-hispanic population is spillover from south Williamsburg of the burgeoning Hasidic community which occupies and often owns a lot of the buildings in the northwest portion. Another is that gentrification in Bed-Stuy also has a sizable working professional black component to it.
I concur, especially as people tend to hang out immediately IVO their homes.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
ITll be awhile. Bed Stuy is huge. Central and Eastern Bed Stuy isnt as gentrified as the west end of bed stuy. Plus the neighborhood has a few housing project complexes

Old 10-20-2019, 08:13 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Opinion:
Just did some shopping up Broadway to Myrtle covering parts of Bed Stuy/Williamsburg/Bushwick.
My heart cried. I knew this neighborhood as a kid. Shopping, eats, you name it. The folks that resided
back then were poor but never pigs. Folks use to sweep in front of their stores and storefronts. Garbage now
littering corners,in streets and Graffiti ( so called art ) creating a panoramic background. A truly disturbing picture
of deeper despair. Don't worry. I was in disbelief to see couple of newly constructed low income buildings sprayed over
in graffiti. Gentrification..........I wish I could say something positive but ...sick to my stomach. Not in any time soon Pal.
Not any time soon................

Old 10-21-2019, 05:53 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
ITll be awhile. Bed Stuy is huge. Central and Eastern Bed Stuy isnt as gentrified as the west end of bed stuy. Plus the neighborhood has a few housing project complexes
Gentrification skips pretty far east to around Utica Avenue, but only in the southern part of Bed-Stuy.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:32 PM

325 posts, read 199,339 times
Quote:
Bed Stuy is huge. Some parts are like what you described. Other parts not so much.
I agree bed Stuy is huge , last time I was there it was pretty tame and gentrified and that was even like 5 years ago . I think that area was close to the nostrand A train and LiRR . Not sure about the other areas , what is the worst area of bed Stuy ? Is it In the more northern area by all the projects ( Marcy , Tompkins , sumner ) ?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:34 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
/\ I would think the projects along Myrtle along with the eastern reaches of the area would be the worse off.

Bed Stuy may never be Park Slope but I can see it becoming like Ft Greene. Very racially diverse with Black and White being the main flavors, but overwhelmingly professional/artsy across the board with poverty in the remaining NYCHA/Supportive/HUD housing that's scattered throughout. Basically what West Harlem is turning into as well.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 PM

264 posts, read 136,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
/\ I would think the projects along Myrtle along with the eastern reaches of the area would be the worse off.

Bed Stuy may never be Park Slope but I can see it becoming like Ft Greene. Very racially diverse with Black and White being the main flavors, but overwhelmingly professional/artsy across the board with poverty in the remaining NYCHA/Supportive/HUD housing that's scattered throughout. Basically what West Harlem is turning into as well.

Black population in west Harlem is below 25% now, and losing about 1% point a year.
and that include all the people int eh grant houses.

White alone 10,711 17.2%
Black or African American alone 15,176 24.3%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 31,640 50.7%
Asian alone 2,359 3.8%

And that data is from 2017 the real number should be around 20% by now.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF

west Harlem is mostly Hispanic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City