Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Exactly. There are less PC about it too. The notion that Europeans are somehow more tolerant when it comes to racism...well, the grass always seems greener on the other side.
You don’t have housing segregation in Southern Europe. You don’t have police shootings, like in America where Black women get killed by the police for accidentally leaving their door open and where police also charge into the home of another Black person, claiming is their house and kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Spain has $27k per year income per capita and 14% unemployment rate.. better standard of living LMAO.
The US has declining life expectancy...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/hea...ise-in-the-u-s

Btw, unemployed people in Spain work off the books.

Rent and the cost of living is low here. I love my one euro beers at the bars here. A glass of red wine is two euros.

http://www.businessinsider.com/spain...y-2040-2018-10

Yes, the qualify of life here is good. People are comparatively pleasant to
Be around and happy.

Look at the people on City Data who do nothing but hate NYC, and wish for it to fail. I seriously doubt certain people are capable of emotionally healthy kids when all you can do is bash your fellow Americans and hate them for not being the next Mark Zuckerberg.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I think he’s in denial because he feels that Europeans aren’t racists but Americans are, so everything about this country just plain sucks ass. While it is true that the US has had more open race related problems than the EU has, it still exists in Europe. They are just very quiet about it. I’ll never forget the day a blonde blue eyed woman from Malaga, Spain went on and on about how she wouldn’t date or live with African Muslims. But in person she goes out of her way to be friendly and talkative to them. She would say things like, “ segregation is not racism- just preference”. (And for the record, she despises Trump).
There are lots of interracial couples and children in across Europe, and I’m not just relying on the word of one person. That does not mean that there are no racists, but you do not know the dynamics or anything else of it here because you have no real knowledge of Europe whatsoever.

I’m actually happy here and pretty happy I moved here.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You're paying that for the same reason you can get beachfront property in Mississippi for that price as well... most people around you are **** broke, poor, and unemployed, and can't afford to pay higher rents.
People on beachfront property in Mississippi at least own, and don’t have to worry about being tossed out every time the landlord wants to raise the rent.

Of course much of NYC cannot afford your really live in NYC. Transplants live 6 to an apartment, illegals live 20 to an apartment and of course nothing is done about this.

Big parts of Manhattan are essentially one dorm, eaten up by Columbia and NYU.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Well, again, I realize that these things cost money. I mean, I'd have to be pretty stupid not to so I don't understand your talking point. And again, I repeat that I am happy to pay for them. I have absolutely zero compunctions about my tax money going to essential services such as healthcare and social welfare programs. Why on earth would anyone be opposed to that?

Paying for essential services for everyone and not just for you is part of being in a civilized society. I don't have kids and don't want kids but guess what? Some of my taxes go to schools and children and I am okay with that! I think it's wonderful that my money goes to schools and roads and public services for the benefit of everyone. I am not low income and don't need subsidized food stamps but guess what? Happy my money goes to feeding needy people, too.

See where I am going with this? I really don't understand the American fascination with "I got mine, so **** you!"

And as to why I am not living full time in Europe? Easy, my family is here in NYC.
You say you understand but you really don't. All you know is what your Leftist overlords (Dem politicians, liberal media, etc.) have decided for you to know, i.e. the government helping the rich, we can tax our way to a fair society for all.

All these Leftist Dems are doing are harvesting votes from misinformed folks like you.

If you really think the paltry amount of taxes you pay is enough to run all these free government programs and subsidies, you are more ignorant than you think.

Our whole society as currently structured depends almost entirely from taxing businesses/corporations and the wealthy. In fact, a large percentage of the tax revenue the government (Federal, State, City) receives comes from just these two sources alone.

The poor pay nothing which leaves the wealthy and the middle class to bear the brunt but tax revenue from middle class alone could not possibly pay for all the freebies.

As for the popular Leftist talking point that the government helps the rich and corporations, it is based on ignorance. What corporations do get are a bone thrown to them in order to attract their business.

In return, they generate far more tax revenue in return than they receive but you would never hear that from your Leftist Democrat politicians like Bernie or AOC or deBlasio. They derive their support from the uninformed and the angry by talking up a good game against their usual punching bags, large companies and the rich.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You say you understand but you really don't. All you know is what your Leftist overlords (Dem politicians, liberal media, etc.) have decided for you to know, i.e. the government helping the rich, we can tax our way to a fair society for all.

All these Leftist Dems are doing are harvesting votes from misinformed folks like you.

If you really think the paltry amount of taxes you pay is enough to run all these free government programs and subsidies, you are more ignorant than you think.

Our whole society as currently structured depends almost entirely from taxing businesses/corporations and the wealthy. In fact, a large percentage of the tax revenue the government (Federal, State, City) receives comes from just these two sources alone.

The poor pay nothing which leaves the wealthy and the middle class to bear the brunt but tax revenue from middle class alone could not possibly pay for all the freebies.

As for the popular Leftist talking point that the government helps the rich and corporations, it is based on ignorance. What corporations do get are a bone thrown to them in order to attract their business.

In return, they generate far more tax revenue in return than they receive but you would never hear that from your Leftist Democrat politicians like Bernie or AOC or deBlasio. They derive their support from the uninformed and the angry by talking up a good game against their usual punching bags, large companies and the rich.
You forget the part where she lives in Italy and knows from personal experience on how things work?

A big part of city data has neither the financial resources, family ties, or social skills to
Move to another state, if not another country. Half the ports are about people trying to get in an affordable housing or some other program and the other half are those hating on them.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I think he’s in denial because he feels that Europeans aren’t racists but Americans are, so everything about this country just plain sucks ass. While it is true that the US has had more open race related problems than the EU has, it still exists in Europe. They are just very quiet about it. I’ll never forget the day a blonde blue eyed woman from Malaga, Spain went on and on about how she wouldn’t date or live with African Muslims. But in person she goes out of her way to be friendly and talkative to them. She would say things like, “ segregation is not racism- just preference”. (And for the record, she despises Trump).
For the record I’ve certainly have had my fun with Spaniyards including blinds. Beats waiting around for 80/20s or whatever other subsidized program you were waiting on.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:10 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

Opinion:
Gotta Love it. 20,000 Young white college kids without drivers license gathered in the Park for free on a weekend listening to hip hop
next to a housing project. Can't get anymore premeditated than that......Haha...... Smoke another joint young fools before returning back to campus.
In time, you will all be members of what truly drive the American Economy. .................Bone grinding work, your blood ,your sweat and your tears.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:20 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Gotta Love it. 20,000 Young white college kids without drivers license gathered in the Park for free on a weekend listening to hip hop
next to a housing project. Can't get anymore premeditated than that......Haha...... Smoke another joint young fools before returning back to campus.
In time, you will all be members of what truly drive the American Economy. .................Bone grinding work, your blood ,your sweat and your tears.
Fair to say, the stage in the next few decades belongs to them, not “overly wise and seasoned” folks of you type, agree or not...

Old 10-22-2019, 04:24 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are lots of interracial couples and children in across Europe, and I’m not just relying on the word of one person. That does not mean that there are no racists, but you do not know the dynamics or anything else of it here because you have no real knowledge of Europe whatsoever.

I’m actually happy here and pretty happy I moved here.
If one cannot afford to hack it in NyC, better to move on and enjoy what they could afford in life and make the best out of it...

After all, nyc is not the only habitable place on the earth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City