Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 02:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
you have no clue how the few riches are manipulating/dominating the system for their unlimited benefits while gradually depriving the majority of fair opportunities to compete and succeed. Your neighbors might have a few thousands more than you do, but they are a far cry from qualifying as that dangerous elite group who shouldn't be allowed to exist.
I would worry more about the deep state than worry about a few billionaires having their way. Because what you're advocating is the same sentiments that started communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
you have no clue how the few riches are manipulating/dominating the system for their unlimited benefits while gradually depriving the majority of fair opportunities to compete and succeed. Your neighbors might have a few thousands more than you do, but they are a far cry from qualifying as that dangerous elite group who shouldn't be allowed to exist.
If I have no clue, tell me how they are depriving me of opportunities, I am all ears.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:23 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If I have no clue, tell me how they are depriving me of opportunities, I am all ears.
Would you dismiss reasoned examples as left wing propaganda? In the US some billionaires are trying to get rid of our constitution to make it more pro billionaire for a reason https://billmoyers.com/story/kochs-t...-constitution/

Old 10-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Would you dismiss reasoned examples as left wing propaganda? In the US some billionaires are trying to get rid of our constitution to make it more pro billionaire for a reason https://billmoyers.com/story/kochs-t...-constitution/
Key word here is 'reasoned' examples.
1. Link doesn't say anything about getting rid of our constitution, merely proposing a constitutional amendment that the government can't run deficits and actually has to run a balanced budget.
2. I fail to see how this is pro- billionaire? Surely, you'd agree with me that such an amendment would stop the spending of the current Trump administration? It would've also prevented Bush from going into Iraq for example.
3. How would this amendment deprive me of opportunities? If anything, it would be better in the long run, since I wouldn't have to pay for unfunded liabilities like the Iraq war that the Congress keeps putting on our collective credit card. I am fairly financially responsible and personally do not carry any short term debt, I want my government to be fiscally responsible just like me.

As a side note, I would love such an amendment, with one caveat, that Congress can run deficits if there is an official declaration of war (so that we can borrow in a WWII type scenario). Last time US actually officially declared war was in 1942 WW2 believe it or not.

Last edited by Gantz; 10-22-2019 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 02:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:

The reality/situation of the poor today that you hate so much about is the best one you could wish for yourself tomorrow......the riches suck dry the general mass one group at a time, starting from the group right below you...by the time they reach your group, you would wish for the groups above you to come to your rescue, but might be too late...

does this make sense??

Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I would worry more about the deep state than worry about a few billionaires having their way. Because what you're advocating is the same sentiments that started communism.

If you are not concerned by the power and speed of how bezos/suckberg and alike suck in their undeserving share of wealth in an extreme short period of time, and what they are doing and plan to do to invade/colonize other sectors of the economy by leveraging their merciless and unethical tech+capital combo business models, you are not sensitive enough to understand the looming threat born by their wealth/greed-transformed power.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Key word here is 'reasoned' examples.
1. Link doesn't say anything about getting rid of our constitution, merely proposing a constitutional amendment that the government can't run deficits and actually has to run a balanced budget.
2. I fail to see how this is pro- billionaire? Surely, you'd agree with me that such an amendment would stop the spending of the current Trump administration? It would've also prevented Bush from going into Iraq for example.
3. How would this amendment deprive me of opportunities? If anything, it would be better in the long run, since I wouldn't have to pay for unfunded liabilities like the Iraq war that the Congress keeps putting on our collective credit card. I am fairly financially responsible and personally do not carry any short term debt, I want my government to be fiscally responsible just like me.

As a side note, I would love such an amendment, with one caveat, that Congress can run deficits if there is an official declaration of war (so that we can borrow in a WWII type scenario). Last time US actually officially declared war was in 1942 WW2 believe it or not.
What you and I may consider opportunities may differ. I suppose that is the sticking point. I consider unchecked capitlisim ( and please don't label me a communist either) where the bottom line is the interest of the corporation is depriving me the opportunity of clean water, opportunity to engage politicians who will have my interest at heart for starters. The examples can go on for paragraphs in detail. The efforts by some billionaires to change our constitution are not meant for the everyman, Joe the plumbers of the world.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
The reality/situation of the poor today that you hate so much about is the best one you could wish for yourself tomorrow......the riches suck dry the general mass one group at a time, starting from the group right below you...by the time they reach your group, you would wish for the groups above you to come to your rescue, but might be too late...

does this make sense??
No it doesn't make sense to me at all. Again, nobody is "sucking" me dry. Bill Gates is not sucking me dry, Jeff Bezos is not sucking me dry. In fact, they provide me with a service so good that I am willing to pay them my money voluntarily! They significantly increased my quality of life. I am also not bothered by how much money some else has or makes. If they are doing it legally, then good job!

Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post

What you and I may consider opportunities may differ. I suppose that is the sticking point. I consider unchecked capitlisim ( and please don't label me a communist either) where the bottom line is the interest of the corporation is depriving me the opportunity of clean water, opportunity to engage politicians who will have my interest at heart for starters. The examples can go on for paragraphs in detail. The efforts by some billionaires to change our constitution are not meant for the everyman, Joe the plumbers of the world.
I am not arguing for unchecked capitalism. You still failed to provide an argument how that constitutional amendment favors billionaires and "sucks money out of me".
By the way, EU countries already have something similar. EU has a treaty that caps government deficit spending of individual countries.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:

does this make sense??
Of the presidential candidates in the latest field, who if any is offering a plan to break up big tech ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City