Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 06:27 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times

Advertisements

Opinion: Thanks all posters for all the feedback.

Well I finally did the unthinkable a few weeks back. I made my own coffee
from scratch. Some will refer to this a tea but I see it as a decaffeinated coffee.
A weekend in the Pennsylvania. Gathered roughly 10-20 pounds of fallen acorns.
Separated good from the bad. Removed nuts from shells. Remove outer skin. Diced.
Boiled over and over and over rinsing out bad tannins. Roasted and finally grated.
Ended up with only 1 pound of coffee. What a wonderful aroma. Very mild in taste.
Only after working my way through the process did I fully grasp what goes into the
making of a $4 or more cup of coffee.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Key Food this week: Chock Full o'Nuts Coffee: $4.99 for 23-26 ounce can.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:34 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion: Thanks all posters for all the feedback.

Well I finally did the unthinkable a few weeks back. I made my own coffee
from scratch. Some will refer to this a tea but I see it as a decaffeinated coffee.
A weekend in the Pennsylvania. Gathered roughly 10-20 pounds of fallen acorns.
Separated good from the bad. Removed nuts from shells. Remove outer skin. Diced.
Boiled over and over and over rinsing out bad tannins. Roasted and finally grated.
Ended up with only 1 pound of coffee. What a wonderful aroma. Very mild in taste.
Only after working my way through the process did I fully grasp what goes into the
making of a $4 or more cup of coffee.........
lol Well yeah... At Blue Bottle they grind and measure each cup of coffee they make to maximize the freshness. I appreciate all of that, but they need a bigger La Marzocco machine. They have one barista at some locations which is just ridiculous. It takes 20 minutes at times for a cortado that takes a few minutes to drink. La Colombe has it down to a science. The Bryant Park location is esp. fantastic, though most others are great too. You come in... Line wraps around and comes almost to the front door, but you have your coffee and pastry in hand in about 10 minutes, which is the way it should be. They have about three baristas and everyone is pulling shots.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:39 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times
7 eleven coffee is pretty good $1.09 for any size. McDonald’s coffee is pretty good too.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
If you are like me, I've moved on to cold-brew. The quality is much better overall even at Starbucks and Dunkin. Sure it costs more but it has lower acidity and the flavor is usually richer, just a few notches below an espresso. The brewing process is more consistent and you're only paying $1 more for it than regular ice coffee. You can always ask them no ice and heat it up.

Blue Bottle's cold brew is one of the best imo, even better than El Columbe. I think they probably brewed theirs for atleast 3-4 days.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you are like me, I've moved on to cold-brew. The quality is much better overall even at Starbucks and Dunkin. Sure it costs more but it has lower acidity and the flavor is usually richer, just a few notches below an espresso. The brewing process is more consistent and you're only paying $1 more for it than regular ice coffee. You can always ask them no ice and heat it up.

Blue Bottle's cold brew is one of the best imo, even better than El Columbe. I think they probably brewed theirs for atleast 3-4 days.
Do you do pour-overs? Seems to be very popular at Blue Bottle.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:48 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I've heard that McDonald's actually has a good cup of Joe.
When you ask for cream in your coffee at McDonalds, you get something called "coffee cream," which is really an artificial whitener. I like either real half and half or better light cream along with sugar in my coffee. For real coffee drinking aficionados, the only way to consume the bean is black and bitter.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Go to Fairway and buy decent coffee.

So you didn't bother to read my post then?

Old 12-04-2019, 11:20 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,221,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
When you ask for cream in your coffee at McDonalds, you get something called "coffee cream," which is really an artificial whitener. I like either real half and half or better light cream along with sugar in my coffee. For real coffee drinking aficionados, the only way to consume the bean is black and bitter.

I ask for 1/2 and 1/2 on the side.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
I'm going to get **** on for this but.....bodegas.

The dedicated coffee places charge way too much and most of them are serving the same bitter style. They always forget to put almond milk in my drink and i end up with the runs.

However, the standout place for a cappucino is: cafe reggio
LOL The almond and oat milk people crack me up. I go with whole milk which is the way it should be. Some coffee shops are a bit snobby in that they don't provide almond milk as an option, but I get it. Whole milk maximizes the flavor and creaminess of the milk in the coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City