Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LOL The almond and oat milk people crack me up. I go with whole milk which is the way it should be. Some coffee shops are a bit snobby in that they don't provide almond milk as an option, but I get it. Whole milk maximizes the flavor and creaminess of the milk in the coffee.
I love whole milk, but I'm trying to keep my fat/calorie count down....until recently, I thought almond milk was just regular milk with almond flavoring.....like Good Humor Toasted Almond ice cream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I love whole milk, but I'm trying to keep my fat/calorie count down....until recently, I thought almond milk was just regular milk with almond flavoring.....like Good Humor Toasted Almond ice cream
LMAO. For drinking, I buy 1% or skim, but for coffee, I always go with whole milk. It's a tiny amount in some espresso for the day. I don't drink sugary things often, so drinking water most of the day doesn't do any damage.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:30 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
LMAO. For drinking, I buy 1% or skim, but for coffee, I always go with whole milk. It's a tiny amount in some espresso for the day. I don't drink sugary things often, so drinking water most of the day doesn't do any damage.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
lol Well yeah... At Blue Bottle they grind and measure each cup of coffee they make to maximize the freshness. I appreciate all of that, but they need a bigger La Marzocco machine. They have one barista at some locations which is just ridiculous. It takes 20 minutes at times for a cortado that takes a few minutes to drink. La Colombe has it down to a science. The Bryant Park location is esp. fantastic, though most others are great too. You come in... Line wraps around and comes almost to the front door, but you have your coffee and pastry in hand in about 10 minutes, which is the way it should be. They have about three baristas and everyone is pulling shots.
I usually go to Blue Bottle when I am in that area. I will have to check out La Colombe next time.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:10 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,962 times
Agree. Any Greek diner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

I am a coffee lover to a fault.
I have tried many places in the past 50 years.
The best cup of coffee I ever enjoyed was Oren's Coffee in Manhattan.
It beat Starbucks for price and taste. I couldn't blink for days. Hahahaha.....

On a side note:
7/11 offers any size up to Supersize with assortment of flavors
beating out mild but good tasting coffee from McDonald's for a
little over a buck.

On a common note.............nothing beats a cup of Diner Coffee.
It beats out any bodega coffee I ever tried to have.

So tell me..................where do you frequent for the best cup of Joe in New York City?

Old 12-04-2019, 01:26 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I usually go to Blue Bottle when I am in that area. I will have to check out La Colombe next time.
I like the Bryant Park Blue Bottle a lot. The La Colombe location on 40th at first I avoided. Saw reviews about it being dirty, but it's been ok during my visits considering the high traffic, and I go there daily. I always order from a Gibraltar glass, so if it was dirty, I wouldn't even bother getting anything. Granted I don't sit anywhere. My pastries are to go, and I stand and drink my cortado at the bar or wherever there is space for me to enjoy it in peace. I also like that it isn't super pretentious. Blue Bottle tends to be that way and it's annoying. I see too many people taking selfies with their effin coffee. It's coffee... I'm used to specialty coffee, so I don't need to take a picture of it. I enjoy drinking it. The other plus is that the space in La Colombe is big enough for you stand and wait for your order. Blue Bottle locations are SO crowded and there is nowhere to wait without being in the way. There are also the clueless people that will block the front door while chatting with their colleague or crowd in front of the barista when their drink is not coming up.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM

142 posts, read 224,235 times
Quote:
LOL The almond and oat milk people crack me up. I go with whole milk which is the way it should be. Some coffee shops are a bit snobby in that they don't provide almond milk as an option, but I get it. Whole milk maximizes the flavor and creaminess of the milk in the coffee.

I am lactose intolerant. I cannot drink whole milk without getting the runs. I don't "like" almond milk, its more my only choice if i dont want my coffee black.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:02 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
I am lactose intolerant. I cannot drink whole milk without getting the runs. I don't "like" almond milk, its more my only choice if i dont want my coffee black.
Oat milk is a game changer. It’s tastes creamy and is excellent in coffee and teas. It’s now the only “milk” I use.

And yes a lot of people have issues digesting dairy- especially full fat dairy. In fact many people of African and Asian decent are lactose intolerant.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:15 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
I second Oat Milk. I do Gregory's in Midtown and downtown where ever I can get it for free. If that fails, Puerto Rico in Essex Market is cheap.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:

When did all white liquids get to be called MILK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City