Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:30 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
When did all white liquids get to be called MILK?
LMAO. Beats me. My girlfriend is into almond milk as well. I've tried it. It seems too sweet for me, and doesn't seem much like milk either, so why the name? For some reason, it reminds me of that Parmalat stuff. Supposedly, THAT is real milk too, but it never tasted like it. I guess it's the packaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
When did all white liquids get to be called MILK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LMAO. Beats me. My girlfriend is into almond milk as well. I've tried it. It seems too sweet for me, and doesn't seem much like milk either, so why the name? For some reason, it reminds me of that Parmalat stuff. Supposedly, THAT is real milk too, but it never tasted like it. I guess it's the packaging.
I read or heard that the dairy industry is trying to push to have the name “milk” only allowed to be used for liquids that come from animals mammary glands but I see some issues with that since since there are other things like “coconut water” or “cactus water” which aren’t technically H2O but are water like in appearance. If that’s the case then “milk” is the description of the appearance or color, meaning almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc are the “milky like substances” that can be made from almonds, soy, oat, etc. Also, dictionary definitions do define milk as:

- The white juice of a plant
- A creamy textured liquid with a particular ingredient

In addition to “an opaque white fluid rich in fat and protein secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young”

So almond, oat, soy “milks” are fair and legitimate names for those beverages.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I read or heard that the dairy industry is trying to push to have the name “milk” only allowed to be used for liquids that come from animals mammary glands but I see some issues with that since since there are other things like “coconut water” or “cactus water” which aren’t technically H2O but are water like in appearance. If that’s the case then “milk” is the description of the appearance or color, meaning almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc are the “milky like substances” that can be made from almonds, soy, oat, etc. Also, dictionary definitions do define milk as:

- The white juice of a plant
- A creamy textured liquid with a particular ingredient

In addition to “an opaque white fluid rich in fat and protein secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young”

So almond, oat, soy “milks” are fair and legitimate names for those beverages.
LOL What you said in bold is true. I've heard that as well. Supposedly they're concerned about too many people not drinking milk. At the same time though, I've heard about "shortages" in farms not being able to keep up with milk production to meet demand (particularly organic milk - hence the price tag - notice how organic milk was under $5.00 and now it's almost $6.00 for half-gallon for most of the known brands like Organic Valley, Stonyfield, etc.?)

Old 12-05-2019, 10:51 AM

111 posts, read 141,991 times
Baruir coffee on queens boulevard in sunnyside. Lived over there for many years and loved going in the smell of roasting coffee was powerful. Would get a small red eye or an iced coffee with their coffee ice cubes. Very good imo.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriefOneNYC View Post
Baruir coffee on queens boulevard in sunnyside. Lived over there for many years and loved going in the smell of roasting coffee was powerful. Would get a small red eye or an iced coffee with their coffee ice cubes. Very good imo.
Where is the coffee sourced from? They roast all of their coffee onsite?

Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM

111 posts, read 141,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where is the coffee sourced from? They roast all of their coffee onsite?
Not sure where it is sourced from but I’m sure they would be happy to tell you if you ever make it over there, very nice people. Truth be told I havn’t been there in a few years because I’m in Brooklyn now but I do know it is roasted on site because you can see it being done in the store and you can smell it a block away. It’s a small mom and pop operation.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:34 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
In days gone by I would whiten my sneakers with Griffin All White. I suppose that might now be called "shoe milk?"

Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriefOneNYC View Post
Not sure where it is sourced from but I’m sure they would be happy to tell you if you ever make it over there, very nice people. Truth be told I havn’t been there in a few years because I’m in Brooklyn now but I do know it is roasted on site because you can see it being done in the store and you can smell it a block away. It’s a small mom and pop operation.
Checked out the reviews. Seems to be a big hit...

Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefir king View Post
in days gone by i would whiten my sneakers with griffin all white. I suppose that might now be called "shoe milk?"
lol!

Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
My Kitchen.
I smell it brewing now.

<I mix a junk coffee (Folgers or Chock Full o Nuts) but not super junk (Chase & Sanborn or Maxwell House, both yecch) with either French or Italian Roast from Fairway and a small amount of El Pico (Hispanic Espresso.)>
Kefir, leave that mass produced sh** alone. Fairway is right there. Get a half pound of ground brew. I personally prefer their chocolate raspberry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City