Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 PM

87 posts, read 454,958 times

Advertisements

I was just offer a job making mid 40's with bonus. They said I can make up to $50,000. Can I make a living there and say an apartment that cost around 1800.00 a month etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,132,973 times
The answer is yes, with a but. The but is you'll have to look around some to find a nice place in that price range, but it is very do-able.

Good luck with the job and apartment hunting. Stay away from agents, an try to look at bulletin boards and legit newspapers (for a rental).

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
I was just offer a job making mid 40's with bonus. They said I can make up to $50,000. Can I make a living there and say an apartment that cost around 1800.00 a month etc. Thanks

Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 PM

480 posts, read 2,830,203 times
It is not possible.

$50K is not enough to afford an $1,800/month apartment. After taxes you will end up using your entire income to pay for rent. You will have nothing left over for anything else.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:55 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
Yes $1,800 per month seems way out of proportion to a $50k salary. For $50k per year I think you should be looking at something more along the lines of $1,000 to maybe $1,200 per month.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 AM

500 posts, read 2,860,473 times
Default share

You can't do a 1,800 apartment with a 40 or 50,000 salary (taxes in NYC are outrageously high) but you sure can get a rommate and share a 1,000 rent.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 AM

What do you think my take home pay would be for a month? What is the best and saftest way to find a roomate since I don't know anyone? If the cost of living is so high why don't jobs pay to match the cost of living? Is there maybe anything affordable and safe in Brooklyn to live on $50,000? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make the right decision. Thanks again.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM

There are no absolutes!

Take home pay is probably 70% of your gross--(number of dependents, etc).

Best and safest way of finding a room-mate is a crap-game. You could check places like craigslist; try to get a few references. All the local newspapers list shares; you should get references.

Salaries across the country are not determined by COL, but by the market--NYC is no different and probably pays more than elsewhere.

Brooklyn is still less expensive than Manhattan, but here you might also want a room-mate.

It is difficult to always make the right decision--only experience can tell if it was correct! As much as I would like to have a crystal ball for my own life, it's generally been hit or miss

Good luck!
Quote:
What do you think my take home pay would be for a month? What is the best and saftest way to find a roomate since I don't know anyone? If the cost of living is so high why don't jobs pay to match the cost of living? Is there maybe anything affordable and safe in Brooklyn to live on $50,000? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make the right decision. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:41 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
Why don't the salaries match the COL? Well this area, in all honesty, is kind of F'ed up. I could cite numerous reasons for it.

Some of them are things like rent stabilization which ties up 1/4 of the rental market in the city. This allows little old ladies to pay under $1,000 a month for an apartment that might otherwise be worth closer to around $2,500 on the open market. As a result of these apartments being pretty much off the market, the price of rent goes up.

Large chunks of the NYC area are also used up by public housing projects which allows people making next to nothing to pay only 1/3 of their income in rent while everyone else has to pay 40-50% (or more in, unfortunately, a lot of cases). You will certainly be able to recognize these folks hanging around the city, acting all ghetto, trying to scam tourists out of money, and listening to obnoxiously loud music on the subway.

There is also the fact that NYC, especially Manhattan, has basically turned into a playground for the world's rich. So you'll see lots of Eurotrash, Latin American plutocrats, Asian business magnets, and other such characters running around the city having a grand old time. Of course they can afford the high rents becaue they're already multi-millionaires and they generally don't care what the cost of rent is.

Another issue is that you generally have a lot of progressive/liberal leaning people flooding into the city from the middle of po-dunk nowhere (think the Midwest, and more rural areas of the New England, the Northeast, and the South) who drive up the price of rent by outbidding each other on what should be moderately priced neighborhoods. Besides the progressives from the middle of nowhere there are also the Businessmen/Doctors/Lawyers who flock to the city after college/professional school like seagulls at the trash heap because of the huge ammount of money professionals can make in the city.

My favorite group of people who have driven up the cost of rent are the liberal hipsters. A lot of them seem to be just trust fund babies in disguise, but somehow they manage to afford living in really expensive areas of town without any apparent means of being able to support themselves. How they afford their rents seems like somewhat of a mistery to me.

As to the roommate question. I agree with the previous poster that Craigslist is probably a good idea. Just make sure you vet the person before moving in with them.

Quote:

Old 01-14-2007, 05:05 PM

So, If you where me would you just go for it. Take a chance and maybe other jobs might come up. Do you think it is easier to find a job when you live up there? I live in Florida it seems companies might hire someome local over someone that wants to relocate to the area. Is there any safe neighorhoods
that I would me able to afford on $50,000? Thanks again for your input.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM

I'm a firm believer in taking the chance rather than regretting it later. It would be nice to have a back-up plan, but I suspect you are young enough to take the risk--and if it doesn't work out, yes, it is much easier to find a job while in a City than from a distance.

I believe there is a really good weekly place for a reasonable sum for women--if you are-- in the West Village where you could stay for a few weeks or even months and see what you can find long term for a rental and evaluate your job.

I'll see if I can find the name of that residence hall!

Here's one http://www.websterapartments.org/

but actually I was thinking of one downtown.

Here's a list of some residences. The one I remember is on West 13th Street (Markle)

http://www.danceart.com/NYDanceScene/WhereToStayFeb_05.htm#Women%27s%20Residences (broken link)

Quote:
So, If you where me would you just go for it. Take a chance and maybe other jobs might come up. Do you think it is easier to find a job when you live up there? I live in Florida it seems companies might hire someome local over someone that wants to relocate to the area. Is there any safe neighorhoods
that I would me able to afford on $50,000? Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-14-2007 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: