Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 03:57 PM

874 posts, read 455,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Testing would have been helpful. Yet, that takes us down dangerous political territory.
Since, I am trying to not go directly to the topic of the Federal response. And when did
leaders know, what they knew, what they did with the information, what did they did
will eventually be subject to public scrutiny

they're doing just great! speaking coherently, earnestly & honestly.

except for when mayor deblahsio was complaining even after the president & chuck schumer cut a deal (i think it was after)? irreguardless - what a yenta.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:00 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post

they're doing just great! speaking coherently, earnestly & honestly.

except for when mayor deblahsio was complaining even after the president & chuck schumer cut a deal (i think it was after)? irreguardless - what a yenta.

True to my word I won't get into what I think. I will keep an open mind. Plenty of time ahead to discuss this politically. Nice art work.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:07 PM

112 posts, read 151,706 times
Sorry to say, if you are out of work due to Covid, your job is not coming back anytime soon. Not in 3 weeks or 4. Very possibly not for 45 days to 8 weeks. By then, many many many small business people will no longer have the resources to reinvigorate their businesses and for many all will be lost and starting from zero.

Horrible shame. Start considering your second and third options... just so you are not totally caught off balance.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
Sorry to say, if you are out of work due to Covid, your job is not coming back anytime soon. Not in 3 weeks or 4. Very possibly not for 45 days to 8 weeks. By then, many many many small business people will no longer have the resources to reinvigorate their businesses and for many all will be lost and starting from zero.

Horrible shame. Start considering your second and third options... just so you are not totally caught off balance.
This thing is not over soon. I am thinking what about if it hits in countries we get our food imported from and harvests are impacted. What will that do to our food prices ? Manufacturing delays from nation's other then China. So many moving parts. Some people will prosper at the misfortune of others but the consequences of the economic costs may still be unknown

Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,088,492 times
Quote:
This thing is not over soon. I am thinking what about if it hits in countries we get our food imported from and harvests are impacted. What will that do to our food prices ? Manufacturing delays from nation's other then China. So many moving parts. Some people will prosper at the misfortune of others but the consequences of the economic costs may still be unknown
We are not coming out of this for years. The entire world economy is being upended and the entire world order will be changed. The upheaval and ramifications will reverberate long after the virus has disappeared. It's going to be a very difficult period for most of the world and nobody's world is safe.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
We are not coming out of this for years. The entire world economy is being upended and the entire world order will be changed. The upheaval and ramifications will reverberate long after the virus has disappeared. It's going to be a very difficult period for most of the world and nobody's world is safe.
If people are honest with themselves they will admit we have no clue. However, the world emerged from WW1 the Spanish Flu in 1918 and had the Russian Civil War, Spanish Civil War, WW2 in short order and bounced back. We will recover but telling people that it's business as usual and buy stocks and make a killing soon might be magically thinking

Last edited by bxlover; 03-21-2020 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 04:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,993,609 times
Quote:
If people are honest with themselves they will admit we have no clue. However, the world emerged from WW1 the Spanish Flu in 1918 and had the Russian Civil War, Spanish Civil War, WW2 in short order and bounced back. We will recover but telling people that it's business as usual and buy stocks and make a killing soon might be magical thinking
It’s not business as usually after these lockdowns or fine because you cannot raise the dead. A lot more precautions have to be taken or the disease will spread again.

Hotels are being converted to housing fir homeless or new hospital space, some of this might be permanent. Airbnb is dead as who wants to let someone bring in strangers to an apartment building, when they can infect the whole building.

But enough of that.

Stop fronting. Everyone has plans on how they are going to spend their checks from the government. Even if all you get is 1200. Those unemployed are obviously getting more and have their own plans on spending their checks. Help the economy out by spending!

Old 03-21-2020, 04:56 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,370,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They’ve already suspended evictions and mortgage payments. A lot more needs to be done. It should be noted most employees of big corporations are working class to middle class people and preserving these jobs are important.

Of course it’s important to look out after those who lost their jobs or small businesses facing complete ruin. Things are already being done and more will be done.

Essentially governments around the world are having to print money to cover this.

Welfare applications are now done entirely online and that speeds things up actually. You don’t have to wait for appointments.

Trump not only declared a national disaster, he specifically declared NYC a disaster due to this plague. They frees up a lot of aide.

Of course we have to continue to push to see that those who get need it get help. This includes the public and small businesses, and big companies.

And yes no one wants a repeat of 2008 where banks got bailed out, but the public got little for it. Already this is a much worse disaster and the government responses are already better.

Keep up the fight.

First bolded: This is a NYC thread and so I guess I forgot that as I was writing. I meant nationwide for which there is no moratorium on evictions/foreclosures at least for non-HUD owned properties. What's going to happen if Covid-19 continues the havoc well into winter or longer?

Things are already being done and more will be done? I prefer to see things in writing first. A lot of retail workers unless their companies have put forth paid sick leave aren't required by the law to provide it. I mean it's so much I have to say but I want to keep this NYC related.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It’s not business as usually after these lockdowns or fine because you cannot raise the dead. A lot more precautions have to be taken or the disease will spread again.

Hotels are being converted to housing fir homeless or new hospital space, some of this might be permanent. Airbnb is dead as who wants to let someone bring in strangers to an apartment building, when they can infect the whole building.

But enough of that.

Stop fronting. Everyone has plans on how they are going to spend their checks from the government. Even if all you get is 1200. Those unemployed are obviously getting more and have their own plans on spending their checks. Help the economy out by spending!
I don't qualify for a check or my wife based on what I have read. My daughter wanted her money to go for savings. But we don't qualify I never fronted about money, I would love the check and would shop at small businesses in my area. The middle class that pays the taxes seldom benefits. I support the Empire Scholarship for example in NY but my wife and I both earn six figures and are daughter can't get free CUNY or SUNY. Such is life

Old 03-21-2020, 05:01 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,144,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post

I feel this is accurate. Im in the hotel business and the impact has been heavy and came on fast. Some hotels have closed (Hilton on 6th ave, Baccarat, Warwick) and more will follow. The small mom and pop businesses that remain will not be able to recover, people out of work wont be spending and this is the punch combination that ends the fight. Its brutal and the scope of this is not even in view yet.

Crimes about to go up too everyone. Expect more robberies, as they know anyone traveling likely still has a job and people will start to get desparate and lose hope. Seeing some groups the last 2 days walking through the trains, and had an altercation with one today 3pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City