Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 07:23 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sorry about the death. I just found out that one of my uncles was put on a ventilator last night. Not looking good. This damned virus is going to touch us all before it's over.
I'm sorry to hear your uncle isn't doing well. I really hope he'll pull through.

We have family members, one of whom is high risk, who seem to be recovering thank God, but it's stressful because it's hard to know when someone is out of the woods.

I read that a pulse odometer is a very good thing to have at home right now. Some people with very low levels don't have classic respiratory symptoms of low oxygen so are going to the hospital very late. I ordered one on Amazon last night, but it will take a couple of weeks to arrive.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am working. I logged on. I was just venting. I may sign off at 12. I had a death in the family and feel bummed out. I would really like to drive to the Upper East side and buy flowers for my wife and mother and daughter. Duty calls.
My condolences bxlover. Maybe take some time to get out of the house anyway - at least to walk and get some fresh air.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:28 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
My condolences bxlover. Maybe take some time to get out of the house anyway - at least to walk and get some fresh air.
I cleaned my back yard. I would love to plant but the good plants will be available in late May. I would cook you your stuff, lol.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I want the botanical gardens to open up. It was never that crowded and I'm sure people will social distance and wear a mask. I'm going out for walks but I'd like a place where I can plop down on a bench or view the flowers. That's what I miss. And the gym.
This is what I miss the most too. The best places by me to walk outside and socially distance are closed. I guess they don't want to encourage people to leave the house at all? People are going to go out anyway now that the weather's getting better, so in my opinion it's better to make more space for them, not less.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I cleaned my back yard. I would love to plant but the good plants will be available in late May. I would cook you your stuff, lol.
We have a little yard but it's seen better days and right now is just reminding me of the work that needs to be done there. When this is over maybe we could do a city-data meetup chez bxlover, and you can fry up some tostones for everyone!

Old 04-21-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I don't get why you would want to leave unless you were tending that way before the virus hit. Unless you're heading for a cabin in Montana, this virus is going to touch the whole country, eventually. The city will come back. It always does.

Right now I would just like to go to a bookstore. .
I know the city will come back too. No place is safe from the virus, but it's harder to socially distance when you need to take public transportation, use shared laundry rooms, elevators etc.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
What's starting to grate on me during my afternoon treks is the sheer litter of discarded masks and gloves strewn across the sidewalks. Jeesh. Is it just too much work to discard it properly. Who wants to pick up after you? It's so gross and inconsiderate.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:37 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
I know the city will come back too. No place is safe from the virus, but it's harder to socially distance when you need to take public transportation, use shared laundry rooms, elevators etc.
Very true. I'm actually washing bare necessities by hand because I can't figure out how to safely use the laundry in my bldg and I take the stairs (and don't touch the railings) because I live on the second floor. But I'm luckier than a lot of people.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:57 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
We have a little yard but it's seen better days and right now is just reminding me of the work that needs to be done there. When this is over maybe we could do a city-data meetup chez bxlover, and you can fry up some tostones for everyone!
I miss taking sick days and going into the City. Botanical Gardens is a favorite spot for me. RIGHT now their Azaleas and blossom trees must be in full bloom. I miss the organ playing Bach on Wednesdays at Cathedral of St John the Divine. Walk over to Morris Park, they have great bakeries and eateries still open. Scaglione bros is great.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:07 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
This is what I miss the most too. The best places by me to walk outside and socially distance are closed. I guess they don't want to encourage people to leave the house at all? People are going to go out anyway now that the weather's getting better, so in my opinion it's better to make more space for them, not less.
I think the problem with the botanic garden is that this is prime season for them - I know the Brooklyn one gets huge crowds for the cherry blossoms, so it would not be a good place to socially distance if it was open. They could limit how many go in and to certain parts, but that would mean putting enforcement staff at risk and create lines given the season, so I guess that is why they are closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City