Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 07:09 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Wow, if it's staying in the states and depending on what you are looking for

- Vermont - Low Crime, odd but pretty nice folks, pretty state
- Maine - Low Crime, Low cost of living, an hour or so from the coast or mountains, from central Maine area, the coast …
- Upstate NU, Saratoga Springs, Lake Placid, Adirondack Region - all very pretty, seem a bit expensive to live, but worth it from what we've seen the half dozen or so times we've been in these area
- Conway, NY area
- Front Royal VA area
- Charleston, SC

Assuming that Upstate NU is actually a typo for Upstate NY, I would just have to point out that moving Upstate from NYC to escape the risk of crime would be pointless because Upstate cities and even some smaller towns are high crime. Also, if buying a property in Upstate NY, realize that it might be your final home. It is fairly difficult to sell an average home in Upstate NY because the trend of more people moving out of state than into the state has been firmly entrenched for years now. Not only that properties are hard to sell, but they hardly appreciate at all. But Upstate NY is beautiful, yes, I most definitely concur with that, and many of the towns/cities are very authentically historic, some of the oldest places in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 08:36 AM

5,125 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVPFord View Post
All I DO KNOW is that we don't need more NYers in Florida, much too many taxing the infrastructure and attempting to not only transplant themselves, but also transplanting culture. I encourage every NYers to open their eyes to 48 other US very nice states as well, that's 48 other distinct locations with great amenities, and eliminate crowed FL from consideration. Try great states like TN, coastal NC, coastal SC, AL, AR, MS and key cities in TX (not Austin either!). WE in FL don't really need or want any more influx of people from NY at all, most natives are pushing back on these moves, the only ones NOT pushing back are other transplants already moved from NY residing in FL now, LOL, but don't ask natives/locals how they really feel about your exodus. Most will be courteous, but many will tell you(maybe not directly) not to come to FL for a variety of good reasons. Of course you might hear that sentiment also in states such as GA, AL, TN, MS and parts of TX. That's just the cold truth.

Only IF NYers are willing to listen to you and conscious about how they being perceived by others...

Old 09-19-2020, 08:43 AM

Has anyone mentioned the Binghamton area? I heard it is up and coming.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:48 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
the company i worked for closed that location ... they found the economy not to good

Old 09-19-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the company i worked for closed that location ... they found the economy not to good

how strange...it has a major university in town and the surrounding nature and scenery are pristine. The business model of your company probably does not fit with the resident population.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:58 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Binghamton has been economically dismal for at least 35 years, and unless there is some major miracle (for which I don't know where it could come from), it will likely remain that way. It has been firmly on the list of 100 most dangerous cities and towns in the US for decades. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent crime or property crime in Binghamton is 1 in 18.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times
..The Binghamton "area", as it is sometimes described...often refers to an area extending beyond the county line. As the urban area of Binghamton itself follows the river(s) valley..the core of Binghamton where crime may be an issue is in a relatively small area. Just 3 - 4 miles north or south of the center of this city will put you in the country ..as in people keeping horses..owning larger tracts of open land, etc. I know this, even though living in an adjoining county. For the most part(with town development along the river valleys), going north/south of any towns from Binghamton out through Corning will quickly put you into suburban, then rural areas. And..it must be said( based on my pre retirement employment)....that much of the criminal element I dealt
with over the last 20 years originated from downstate.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:46 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
how strange...it has a major university in town and the surrounding nature and scenery are pristine. The business model of your company probably does not fit with the resident population.
full line electrical supply and pump and motor repair , resi and commercial air conditioner sales, energy mgmt systems , commercial water pumps , lighting , factory automation and robotics , etc ... ...it fits all locations typically .

they are in Syracuse , buffalo , Rochester , Connecticut , 2- in jersey , long island , brooklyn , florida . binghampton was the worst performing

Old 09-22-2020, 04:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Hearst Castle
Kenwood House
Villa Malaparte

Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
If you go there, I'd say to look in Vestal, Union(particularly Endwell and the areas just north and west of the villages of Endicott and Johnson City), Chenango(Valley or Forks SD's), Owego, Apalachin, the Susquehanna Valley SD and Windsor, among some others. As mentioned, you can get into rural and land pretty quick outside of the city.

If you want the city, I'd say the western 2/3rds of the South Side, the West Side south of Main Street(particularly from around Recreation Park/Seton Catholic Central west) and the outer East/NE Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City