Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 03:38 PM

254 posts, read 114,175 times

Advertisements

Most Likely somewhere in Europe. I don’t know anywhere in the U.S I would want to live other than NYC. I’m single with no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 08:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
Most Likely somewhere in Europe. I don’t know anywhere in the U.S I would want to live other than NYC. I’m single with no kids.
Not even one place? Oh well.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:17 PM

54 posts, read 29,608 times
I had always thought about us moving to North Carolina in or around Raleigh - not because we visited ourselves but because of several of our family, friends and other acquaintances having told us of their move and having a better quality of life there.

Considering the reality that for now we are anchored by my husband's job, our future home would have to be Putnam or Dutchess counties.

If the Lord opens an opportunity for a future in North Carolina we're going. I lurked around sometime in the triple cities forum and learned there are plenty of NYC transplants there too.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
There is always the inevitable correlation:

Cheap Living = NO JOBS.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:59 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
The purpose of this thread is to give people some ideas who before now, maybe never considered making a permanent change in their lives, that DID NOT include New York City.

For me, I never thought I'd permanently leave New York, aside from extended summers out east or Europe or winters in FLA. The usual get-aways, right. But now that this experience has happened, for me, it's time to flip the script. There'll never be another New York in my remaining lifetime, so I'm going country -- With occasional returns to the city. Who knows if I'll ever sell the apartment without taking a bath on it.... So for me, I'm looking at

Part ONE:

1. The Eastern Shore of Maryland.
2. Coastal Maine.
3. Somewhere rural between Ithaca and Cooperstown, NY.

And Part TWO:

Where would be a good place to start a colony of old New Yorker's? (Not South Florida, considered the 6th Borough.)

And as companies large and small pull out of NYC, what would be their "Second City;" a regional city that's selected as a regional base? Maybe...

White Plains to Poughkeepsie (and greater Hudson Valley?)
Greenwich-Stamford-New Haven, Connecticut?
Binghamton to Ithaca (a growing tech region?)
Rural in between Ithaca and Cooperstown will be quite affordable and that would include small cities like Cortland and Norwich.

I’d also say to consider places in between say Ithaca, Corning(has Fortune 500 Corning Inc.) and Owego(has a Lockheed Martin facility) if you need tech companies nearby.

I’d also say that any place about at least a 20-35 minute drive from the bigger Upstate cities could work and could include some small cities/villages that are nice with good services.

Also, if you want land, consider the movement of Mennonites, Amish, etc. I’ll throw out a personal place that I would consider and that is Lewis County due to lower property taxes, land and depending on who you are, parts are in the Carthage SD, which is a solid/good SD with some diversity due to some Fort Drum families living within the district(the base’s eastern third is in the district). There are 2 small hospitals nearby(Carthage and Lowville) and there is some industry in Lowville, Watertown and some employment at Fort Drum. So, there are places out there that people may not consider that could fit a range of people wanting a slower pace. There are others, but I’ll leave it there.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:05 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post

At my age, I've seen/lived it all as it pertains to NYC. I'm done with diversity (for the most part), liberals, woke people, BLM, men who think they are women, two dads and transients. Although I freely admit I am now going to become a transient myself. Go figure.
Awwww, poor little man. How hard life must be to have to deal with people not like yourself. One less of you is a positive for this city.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There is always the inevitable correlation:

Cheap Living = NO JOBS.
Of course they'll be jobs. I've heard Dollar Tree and WalMart offer a plethora of part-time, fulfilling "careers".

Old 08-15-2020, 03:59 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
In a decade, perhaps a diligent hardworking person could work up to Assistant Manager at a Dollar Tree in the boonies. It probably pays $1 more/hour than the minimum wage starting salary. Think what you could do with that extra $40 every week, perhaps even half fill your gas tank.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:29 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
I love New York. But the old New York, thick and thin, is no more. While I saw this city go through hell, there were things about it that made me a proud New Yorker. The diversity, nightlife, food, music scene, etc.....

Now, it appears that much of my favorite spots have gone, or are, going by the wayside. I walked through Times Square, recently, and, I think it will be a much different place, post-pandemic.

Some places I'm considering.....
Philly: I still get that blue collar feel, with more affordable housing, old classic restaurants, especially the cheese steak and hoagie joints! Plus, some great live music venues, such as South and Warmdaddy's. But one does have to consider the crime.

DC: Great city, with a lot of diversity, (a lot of my college schoolmates are there!), but DMV is expensive as heck!

Nashville: Booming town, with great food and where I can get music gigs (I'm a musician), but that city's blowing up, too fast, and might get too crowded, and expensive.

Memphis: Another great town, with great food and music. Unfortunately, high crime.

Either North Carolina cities of Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte. I have relatives, and schoolmates, who live in Carolina (my family roots). Raleigh has a rep of being a hip college town. Charlotte is another consideration.

Orlando. Yes, sunny, Disneyland, etc. But how much will its population grow, with a bunch of folk moving there. I know a few friends who have relocated to the Big O....

I know folk who live in both Houston and Dallas. They love their cities.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:01 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In a decade, perhaps a diligent hardworking person could work up to Assistant Manager at a Dollar Tree in the boonies. It probably pays $1 more/hour than the minimum wage starting salary. Think what you could do with that extra $40 every week, perhaps even half fill your gas tank.
Probably afford heat.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City