Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 02:17 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Where are you getting these stereotypes from that Asians are vulnerable? And I also asked, does your assessment apply to every Asian country? You honestly believe that people from the Asian continent are vulnerable? I must say, your perception of people from the Asian continent are quite prejudiced.

Dude, this is getting far beyond ridiculous. It does not matter whether common knowledge (not my assessment) about Asian-American and Asian immigrant common lifestyles and values apply to EVERY SINGLE Asian, or even to every country in Asia - obviously it doesn't, and obviously I am not talking about either Bruce Lee (who certainly wasn't vulnerable) or about an Asian American serial killer sitting in San Quentin (who obviously was violent). I am talking about the majority of Asians in the US, the same majority whose kids are high achievers in school (rather than being violent gang members). The word "prejudice" refers to a belief that has no basis in truth, so no, the common patterns of behavior of large numbers of people from Asia are not any "prejudice", but how the majority of Asians prefer to behave. And I should add that their greater interest in constructive pursuits than in destruction also tends to put the majority of them at disadvantage when they encounter stupid brute violence - it is not something most of them are conversant with in their everyday life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 02:20 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Goto Asia man. There is a reason Asians are predominately not violent. The religion of Buddhism was pervasive and influenced how the culture evolved. Also, violent crime is punished heavily. Even if you say it's Confucianism, that is based on the 5 relationships towards one another - filial piety. It originated out of the Warring states period and Confucius was to be the model to which all citizens would subscribe too, peacefully.

In Budhhism, you are reincarnated, based on your past life, until you reach the ultimate goal of enlightenment. So that means doing good until you reach that point.

America is different, and even the Western world, because there was a movement away from religion. It was believed to be oppressive and a means to subjugate the poor and uneducated towards a life of oppression.

Not for nothing, you ask all these question to try and dismantle an statement, without offering anything to support your stance. It is to the point of harassing those with differing opinions. Why don't you try to understand why they would say that, or think that first, instead of claiming it is totally untrue. Otherwise, you just a hippocrite.
Predominately not violent? So the continent has never had a war? What about the world-reknown self-defense styles? Ninjas? Samurai? Muy Thai? Other continents have religion too, and you bring Buddhism as a defense? What's so special about Buddhism opposed to any other religion that anyone else practices? So, religion makes you less violent? You're giving me a lot to unpack here.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-05-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Dude, this is getting far beyond ridiculous. It does not matter whether common knowledge (not my assessment) about Asian-American and Asian immigrant common lifestyles and values apply to EVERY SINGLE Asian, or even to every country in Asia - obviously it doesn't, and obviously I am not talking about either Bruce Lee (who certainly wasn't vulnerable) or about an Asian American serial killer sitting in San Quentin (who obviously was violent). I am talking about the majority of Asians in the US, the same majority whose kids are high achievers in school (rather than being violent gang members). The word "prejudice" refers to a belief that has no basis in truth, so no, the common patterns of behavior of large numbers of people from Asia are not any "prejudice", but how the majority of Asians prefer to behave. And I should add that their greater interest in constructive pursuits than in destruction also tends to put the majority of them at disadvantage when they encounter stupid brute violence - it is not something most of them are conversant with in their everyday life.
If it is not your assessment then why are you providing it

I am merely responding to what you say, that they're vulnerable. If you don't believe that, then why are you presenting it?

Old 05-05-2021, 02:36 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

There is a rise in anti-Asian violence above what seems to be general rise in violence. There is almost certainly a large component of it that is directed towards Chinese or those perceived as Chinese and much of it is blame for coronavirus. I got hassled for bringing corona here by someone who was obviously unstable, and I do look like I can be Chinese. A lot of these attacks are on people who can be mistaken for (and sometimes are) Chinese. Denying this is incredibly stupid.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
If it is not your assessment then why are you providing it

I am merely responding to what you say, that they're vulnerable. If you don't believe that, then why are you presenting it?

Do you even read what people write? You can go back to my last 5-6 posts in which I already answered all the questions you keep repeatedly asking.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Do you even read what people write? You can go back to my last 5-6 posts in which I already answered all the questions you keep repeatedly asking.
Its ok to be stubborn, you have your beliefs. I'm not here to convince you to think differently, I'm only here to tell you that you're wrong, and I have clearly stated why, with factual evidence. It's impossible to prove to me anything based on your beliefs, based on how you think all Asians are "vulnerable." I've asked you to provide some more factual evidence outside of your 6 train bubble, which you were unable to produce.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There is a rise in anti-Asian violence above what seems to be general rise in violence. There is almost certainly a large component of it that is directed towards Chinese or those perceived as Chinese and much of it is blame for coronavirus. I got hassled for bringing corona here by someone who was obviously unstable, and I do look like I can be Chinese. A lot of these attacks are on people who can be mistaken for (and sometimes are) Chinese. Denying this is incredibly stupid.
Don't feel a way Crumbler. People will read this post and will not acknowledge it, trust me they will not.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:44 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Goto Asia man. There is a reason Asians are predominately not violent. The religion of Buddhism was pervasive and influenced how the culture evolved. Also, violent crime is punished heavily. Even if you say it's Confucianism, that is based on the 5 relationships towards one another - filial piety. It originated out of the Warring states period and Confucius was to be the model to which all citizens would subscribe too, peacefully.

In Budhhism, you are reincarnated, based on your past life, until you reach the ultimate goal of enlightenment. So that means doing good until you reach that point.

America is different, and even the Western world, because there was a movement away from religion. It was believed to be oppressive and a means to subjugate the poor and uneducated towards a life of oppression.

Not for nothing, you ask all these question to try and dismantle an statement, without offering anything to support your stance. It is to the point of harassing those with differing opinions. Why don't you try to understand why they would say that, or think that first, instead of claiming it is totally untrue. Otherwise, you just a hippocrite.

What part of Asia are you talking about? I'm familiar with parts of East Asia. China is mostly about an odd variant of Buddhism that's a syncretic religion of Mahāyāna Buddhism, Taoism, Confuscianism, and parts of highly localized folk religion that are usually animist in nature. There's been pretty brutal warfare in the area despite the presence of Buddhism. There have even historically been Buddhist religious wars.

There's no denying that religion plays a part in culture and history, but I think what matters more is structure and stability which can be intertwined with religion, but does not innately need it as there are many Chinese in New York that are not devoutly religious or at least have somewhat nebulous religious beliefs. I think what has helped is a certain continuity of family and community tradition and structure which is something that can persist for generations even after terrifying catastrophe and warfare. I think for a good portion of the New World, that structure was deeply challenged for several generations and I think there may be some issues that may take some time to settle.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Its ok to be stubborn, you have your beliefs. I'm not here to convince you to think differently, I'm only here to tell you that you're wrong, and I have clearly stated why, with factual evidence. It's impossible to prove to me anything based on your beliefs, based on how you think all Asians are "vulnerable." I've asked you to provide some more factual evidence outside of your 6 train bubble, which you were unable to produce.

I neither believe, nor have said, that ALL Asians are vulnerable to violent crime. I never speak about ALL of anything or anybody. I have told you in previous posts what makes the criminals perceive Asians as easy targets, Asians themselves have told me that they are seen as easy targets, Asians themselves post that online, and I have no reason to disbelieve them. You have presented no evidence whatsoever on this thread, as usual, and in the absence of any good argument are resorting to personal insults, as usual. Bangladeshis are constantly asking for more police protection in Parkchester area, because they see themselves as vulnerable. And there is every evidence that they are right about it - people who have been attacked had no way of defending themselves, they do not carry AK-47 and a machete.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I neither believe, nor have said, that ALL Asians are vulnerable to violent crime. I never speak about ALL of anything or anybody. I have told you in previous posts what makes the criminals perceive Asians as easy targets, Asians themselves have told me that they are seen as easy targets, Asians themselves post that online, and I have no reason to disbeleve them. You have presented no evidence whatsoever on this thread, as usual, and in the absence of any good argument are resorting to personal insults, as usual.
Yeah but which Asians? Siberians? Sri Lankans? Indians? Tibetans? Chinese? Japanese?

And please point out where I personally insulted you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City