Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 03:10 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but which Asians? Siberians? Sri Lankans? Indians? Tibetans? Chinese? Japanese?

And please point out where I personally insulted you.

I have read reports of hate attacks on East Asians, Southeast Asians, and South Asians, both long before and during covid. I have never heard of a major Siberian community in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...-after-attacks

https://pbmainstream.com/wp-content/...491113png.jpeg

Apparently elnrgby thinks that the recent surge of attacks on Chinese people
has nothing to do with many of the attackers doing it because they think Chinese people are spreading disease

Old 05-05-2021, 03:25 PM

Assuming that some Asians are being attacked because covid originated in China, and even assuming (incorrectly) that only Chinese are being attacked, these attacks are still hate crimes. How does thinking that certain ethnicity spreads a virus justify violence against that ethnicity?

Old 05-05-2021, 04:13 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Assuming that some Asians are being attacked because covid originated in China, and even assuming (incorrectly) that only Chinese are being attacked, these attacks are still hate crimes. How does thinking that certain ethnicity spreads a virus justify violence against that ethnicity?
No one said it did.

It just seems like you have this odd that you have this reluctance to acknowledge that there has been a recent surge of attacks against Chinese and other perceived to look Chinese even after looking at the signs by the protesters who understand they are getting unfairly blamed for COVID-19

Other Asians get attacked sometimes but there has not been a similar recent surge

For some reason you don't want to look at the disease based scapegoating and in order not to you divert as if we don't care about other Asians who get attacked

However I did call this thread:

Asian Man Brutally Beaten In East Harlem Reportedly In Coma

that was a news headline I copied
but I have also shown Chinese people at the protests are using "Asian" on their signs as opposed to "Chinese"

In America "Asian" has an implication by usage of "East Asian"
and Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Arab people don't seem to identify with the term as much yet they are a sizable part of the Asian population in NYC and do use the term "Asian" in certain situations

But if I had to do the thread title over again I may have titled it

"Chinese Man Brutally Beaten In East Harlem Reportedly In Coma"

There is nothing wrong with a protest for all Anti-Asian violence but the fact is this recent surge has been against Chinese people in this pandemic period

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-05-2021 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-05-2021, 04:16 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Anyone know how the guy is doing?

Old 05-05-2021, 04:41 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
White guy drives his pickup truck into crowd of Asians in Chicago while screaming racist names at them. After driving over 1 victim he drove into another 1 and then backed up and down his vehicle to grind the other victim into the dirt. No bail for him!

Neilsen, who prosecutors revealed has a criminal history involving kidnapping, extortion and theft.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...oulevard-crash

https://wgntv.com/news/chicagocrime/...-pickup-truck/

Oh well, time to take a break from the anti-black rhetoric. I guess it was getting too long between the time the Owen Wilson lookalike in San Francisco tried to jump an old Chinese lady but got slammed in the head with a 2x4 by her instead.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
No one said it did.

It just seems like you have this odd that you have this reluctance to acknowledge that there has been a recent surge of attacks against Chinese and other perceived to look Chinese even after looking at the signs by the protesters who understand they are getting unfairly blamed for COVID-19

Other Asians get attacked sometimes but there has not been a similar recent surge

For some reason you don't want to look at the disease based scapegoating and in order not to you divert as if we don't care about other Asians who get attacked

However I did call this thread:

Asian Man Brutally Beaten In East Harlem Reportedly In Coma

that was a news headline I copied
but I have also shown Chinese people at the protests are using "Asian" on their signs as opposed to "Chinese"

In America "Asian" has an implication by usage of "East Asian"
and Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Arab people don't seem to identify with the term as much yet they are a sizable part of the Asian population in NYC and do use the term "Asian" in certain situations

But if I had to do the thread title over again I may have titled it

"Chinese Man Brutally Beaten In East Harlem Reportedly In Coma"

There is nothing wrong with a protest for all Anti-Asian violence but the fact is this recent surge has been against Chinese people in this pandemic period

I have close connections with another city (San Francisco) with a very large population of Cantonese Chinese ancestry, much larger % of Chinese Americans than in NYC. They keep saying in varous media outlets, and in private, that this same type of violence against their population (perpetrated by black gang-type criminals that mostly come to San Francisco from surrounding counties with specific intention to look for Asian victims) has been going on for very many years, but is only now in the spotlight. They say they are used to being regularly targeted. My view of the situation comes mostly from what I have heard in San Francisco. Many local folks of Chinese ancestry in San Francisco have personal experience of having been attacked.

Regarding bringing Bangladeshi into this thread, it was in response to Seventh Floor's post to the effect that he will accept "current events" as anti-Asian violence only when targets of violence start including South Asians. So I pointed out that South Asians actually already are targets of violence (including, eg, in July 2020 in the Bronx).

Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
White guy drives his pickup truck into crowd of Asians in Chicago while screaming racist names at them. After driving over 1 victim he drove into another 1 and then backed up and down his vehicle to grind the other victim into the dirt. No bail for him!

Neilsen, who prosecutors revealed has a criminal history involving kidnapping, extortion and theft.

Oh well, time to take a break from the anti-black rhetoric. I guess it was getting too long between the time the Owen Wilson lookalike in San Francisco tried to jump an old Chinese lady but got slammed in the head with a 2x4 by her instead.

It is not an anti-black rhetoric, but concern about violent crime. If the majority of the perpetrators were white, it would be exactly equally outrageous, however, the majority of them are indeed black. This white guy in Chicago is clearly a scum that should never leave prison for the rest of his life - I certainly don't care to hear whether he is a good guy who loves his family and plays sports, but has grown up traumatized and disadvantaged, and has made a wrong choice. Nobody in the right mind would ever bring up such nonsense in defense of a white scum who attempts murder motivated by racial hatred.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:21 PM

206 posts, read 116,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post

Bith of your sources for the Chicago incident didn't mention anything about the victims being asian or having hate rhetoric screamed at them.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Bith of your sources for the Chicago incident didn't mention anything about the victims being asian or having hate rhetoric screamed at them.

A sentence about his anti-Asian shouting is buried somewhere in the text. It was apparently a runners' club having a picnic for someone's birthday, and the members of the club were of various races. The guy loudly cursed Asians just before he tried to drive his car into the group (at least one of them was Asian, some were Hispanic - maybe he thought they were Asian) . The injured woman was white (and the injury apparently was not very severe, he did not seem to run her over), so probably that is why it was not filed as a hate crime, but it was clearly a murder attempt. The guy had a long history of horrendous violence - why are such people not just kept locked up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City