Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 12:26 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

While you're at it, can you find any articles against the Bangladeshi in City Line, Brooklyn as well? Or against Indians in Jackson Heights?

Why aren't the Guyanese of Indian descent in Richmond Hill and Ozone Park being mistaken for Asians and receiving hate attacks against them? Are the "thugs" culturally aware enough to know the difference?

I say thugs because these attacks are being carried out by the mentally ill.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 12:29 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Find some attacks against Vietnamese in Fordham Heights in the past 2 years then, since your Google skills seem to work. Another Asian community in the Bronx that you are unaware of. By your argument, they should have been affected, as well.

The Bangladesh problem in Parkchester is directly aimed at them, and its done by people living in the neighborhood. Nobody's traveling to Parkchester t commit violent acts against them. And it started soon as they started moving there. Humans can be jerks towards others when they don't understand other cultures.

What's happening now, i.e. the article posted in the original post, is a completely different issue.

What is happening now is not a completely different issue, it is a quantitative spike in a long-standing issue. Asians have been attacked for years/decades because they have been perceived as vulnerable. They are being targeted for the same reason now, only in higher numbers - because all crimes are happening in higher numbers, since criminals are being released and/or not being re-arrested. The criminal who put an Asian man in coma, per original post on this thread, had an extensive record of many violent crimes since at least 1998. He has certainly not started committing crime now.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What is happening now is not a completely different issue, it is a quantitative spike in a long-standing issue. Asians have been attacked for years/decades because they have been perceived as vulnerable. They are being targeted for the same reason now, only in higher numbers - because all crimes are happening in higher numbers, since criminals are being released and/or not being re-arrested. The criminal who put an Asian man in coma, per original post on this thread, had an extensive record of many violent crimes since at least 1998. He has certainly not started committing crime now.
You did not address my response. Find other attacks agains the following NYC Asian communities in the past 2 years:

Vietnamese of Fordham Heights
Indians of Jackson Heights
Bangladeshi of City Line

And also you did not answer me on why aren't the Guyanese of Indian descent in Richmond Hill and Ozone Park being mistaken for Asians directly from Asia, and receiving hate attacks against them.

And another question, where did you get this "Asians are vulnerable" concept from? And once again, are you referring to the entire continent of Asia? Are Siberians vulnerable? What about Kazahks? The Sri Lankans?

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 05-05-2021 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-05-2021, 12:47 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Here's one of the main problems with what's going on
That people fail to understand
Because people are more concerned with what they believe or perceive to be true
Rather than pay attention to facts
And/or leaving their emotions out of it (which I'm finding that a lot of people have trouble doing)
It's not anti-Asian hate crime going on here, not at all.

It's crimes being committed against people who are perceived to be Chinese
Not all Asians

Same people on here complaining about the media's inaccuracy, are using the same inaccurate labeling of these crimes that their "beloved" media does, surprise surprise

When people descended from the Indian subcontinent and Siberia start getting attacked, then we can call it anti-Asian hate crimes.

Also, I have a brain. I don't need the media to even get the story right. As long as there's video, I can see for myself who did what, and draw my own conclusions. You don't like the media, stop watching it. I'm tired of getting reminded of how bad of a job the media does reporting (which is subjective anyway). We have enough cognitive skills to come post, but not enough to seek the truth. Seeking the truth is too much work.

https://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/...WGLR4O6YEA.JPG

Asians of all types get attacked sometimes. Some of might be racially motivated and some not

However the protests going on now have been sparked by a sharp rise in attacks recently on Chinese people and people who have have been mistaken to be Chinese

Most of the people at the protests are Chinese but they hold signs saying "Stop Asian Hate".
instead of "Stop Hate of Chinese"

Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
However the protests going on now have been sparked by a sharp rise in attacks recently on Chinese people and people who have have been mistaken to be Chinese
The bolded is exactly what's going on

Old 05-05-2021, 12:54 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
If I was Asian and living in one of those shiitholes, I would be packing. If Asians euthanize a few of these animals, word will quickly spread and the attacks will diminish.

FWIW, I would not live in any of those places. Is it any wonder that Coeur D' Alene is suddenly one of the fastest growing areas in the U.S.?

Personal safety is one of the things I considered when choosing Maui as my retirement destination.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-05-2021 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 05-05-2021, 01:08 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
You did not address my response. Find other attacks agains the following NYC Asian communities in the past 2 years:

Vietnamese of Fordham Heights
Indians of Jackson Heights
Bangladeshi of City Line

And also you did not answer me on why aren't the Guyanese of Indian descent in Richmond Hill and Ozone Park being mistaken for Asians directly from Asia, and receiving hate attacks against them.

And another question, where did you get this "Asians are vulnerable" concept from? And once again, are you referring to the entire continent of Asia? Are Siberians vulnerable? What about Kazahks? The Sri Lankans?

I addressed your response thoroughly. Your examples of Vietnamese etc.reinforce my statement that Asians are targeted because they are vulnerable. They are perceived as (and generally indeed are) hard-working folks who are not prone to violence themselves, and do not carry weapons. A Bangladeshi walking home after closing his store is somewhat likely to carry a bit of hard-earned cash, but very unlikely to carry a weapon. Asian vulnerability to crime has been a frequently repeated common knowledge in San Francisco (where large parts of the city are Chinese-American) pretty much forever, long before this epidemic, it is certainly not new.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I addressed your response thoroughly. Your examples of Vietnamese etc.reinforce my statement that Asians are targeted because they are vulnerable. They are perceived as (and generally indeed are) hard-working folks who are not prone to violence themselves, and do not carry weapons. A Bangladeshi walking home after closing his store is somewhat likely to carry a bit of hard-earned cash, but very unlikely to carry a weapon. Asian vulnerability to crime has been a frequently repeated common knowledge in San Francisco (where large parts of the city are Chinese-American) pretty much forever, long before this epidemic, it is certainly not new.
Where are you getting these stereotypes from that Asians are vulnerable? And I also asked, does your assessment apply to every Asian country? You honestly believe that people from the Asian continent are vulnerable? I must say, your perception of people from the Asian continent are quite prejudiced.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:31 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Again, a sharp rise in attacks on Chinese Americans and people perceived to look Chinese is believed to be related to the attackers thinking they are to blame for COVID -19 or are spreading it

To state this does not mean sometimes other Asians are not also crime victims

Old 05-05-2021, 01:51 PM

297 posts, read 133,549 times
Quote:
Where are you getting these stereotypes from that Asians are vulnerable? And I also asked, does your assessment apply to every Asian country? You honestly believe that people from the Asian continent are vulnerable? I must say, your perception of people from the Asian continent are quite prejudiced.
Goto Asia man. There is a reason Asians are predominately not violent. The religion of Buddhism was pervasive and influenced how the culture evolved. Also, violent crime is punished heavily. Even if you say it's Confucianism, that is based on the 5 relationships towards one another - filial piety. It originated out of the Warring states period and Confucius was to be the model to which all citizens would subscribe too, peacefully.

In Budhhism, you are reincarnated, based on your past life, until you reach the ultimate goal of enlightenment. So that means doing good until you reach that point.

America is different, and even the Western world, because there was a movement away from religion. It was believed to be oppressive and a means to subjugate the poor and uneducated towards a life of oppression.

Not for nothing, you ask all these question to try and dismantle an statement, without offering anything to support your stance. It is to the point of harassing those with differing opinions. Why don't you try to understand why they would say that, or think that first, instead of claiming it is totally untrue. Otherwise, you just a hippocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City