Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 05:12 PM

169 posts, read 64,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I did not care for Mohammed Ali, I do think Eddie Murphy is really good :-), and I agree with the ideas of ML King. In addition to BB King, some of my other favorite bluesmen are Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Sleepy John Estes, and Mississippi John Hurt (and about 150 others at least :-). I left a guitar pick on the grave of Charley Patton (at Holly Ridge in MS), one of the numerous sites in blues history that I went down to see. Do you even know who these people were? Or can you just moronically keep parrotting some dumb paranoid anti-white prejudice like that post above? There are whites that I like and whites that I surely dislike. Ditto with blacks or Hispanics or Asians - why should I love all of the people of ANY race, including my own?
you'd like to believe that "i don't know who those people were".

yay! knowing a few black blues pioneers who died in the first half of the 20th century (who were hated by their contemporaries) will be the 2091 version of "i went down to see cardi b and chris brown's grave, do you even know who those people were?" 70 years in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 05:15 PM

926 posts, read 417,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstructer View Post
the logic in this post is completely asinine.
Ever heard of irony, or second degree?

Old 04-28-2021, 05:18 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
It's funny you bring this up. Yesterday I was having a conversation about ghetto looking cars with my black coworkers. They didn't seem to mind anyone using the term ghetto and they started the conversation. Must be ok to describe inanimate objects as ghetto. Or maybe my coworkers are sell outs?
Maybe if you're white they have gotten to know you and don't mind or are pretending not to.

But try going into some public place where people don't know you and say "this looks so ghetto"

Old 04-28-2021, 05:18 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
please, go out today around some black people and start talking about "ghetto culture".

I want you to do that and then report back

Actually, I have first heard the word "ghetto" (used as an adjective) from some black people. FYI, you finally motivated me to look it up in the online urban dictionary, and it says: "Ghetto is NOT black, or being black. "Ghetto" is how an individual looks at the world." The definition also says that "ghetto" is a state of mind, where whites and Asians can also be "ghetto". Further, per urban dictionary, "Ghetto is a derogatory term used towards individuals who lack the standards of manners and ethics".

Black people that I hang out with are all quite intelligent, so I have no concern they would spin any woke nonsense about my usage of words :-). I have no problem using any words around them. True, it is not possible to predict what a really stupid person may make out of something he/she doesn't understand in his/her rigidly limited mind, however, that is not a matter of race, but a matter of stupidity.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:25 PM

169 posts, read 64,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Ever heard of irony, or second degree?
ever heard of being a racist and trying to explain how you supposedly aren't?

Old 04-28-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Ever heard of paranoid/not very rational people believing conspiracy theories?

Old 04-28-2021, 05:42 PM

926 posts, read 417,854 times
Quote:
Actually, you are wrong here. You can call me a racist all you want - you have already done so many times anyway, and to other posters as well. I don't care and don't mind. Be my guest.

This word has been thrown around so much in recent years that it has lost its meaning through overuse.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
you'd like to believe that "i don't know who those people were".

yay! knowing a few black blues pioneers who died in the first half of the 20th century (who were hated by their contemporaries) will be the 2091 version of "i went down to see cardi b and chris brown's grave, do you even know who those people were?" 70 years in the future.

I do believe you don't know who these people were :-) (if for no other reason, then the fact that MS John Hurt died in the 1960s, and John Estes in the late 1970s... which was not the first half of the 20th century). I don't know of just a few black blues pioneers, but of ALL of them (unless they never recorded and are known to nobody except their private circle). They were hated by their contemporaries?!? Not to my knowledge (Sleepy John Estes verse: "I played for the colored, I played for the white/ all you got to do, act kinda nice"). Some of the blues is about crime, and some bluesmen were criminal, but those blues pieces talk about crime with anguish, not proudly. No display of ghetto values or personality.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:49 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Actually, I have first heard the word "ghetto" (used as an adjective) by some black people. FYI, you finally motivated me to look it up in the online urban dictionary, and it says: "Ghetto is NOT black, or being black. "Ghetto" is how an individual looks at the world." The definition also says that "ghetto" is a state of mind, where whites and Asians can also be "ghetto". Further, per urban dictionary, "Ghetto is a derogatory term used towards individuals who lack the standards of manners and ethics".

Black people that I hang out with are all quite intelligent, so I have no concern they would spin any woke nonsense about my usage of words :-). I have no problem using any words around them.
etymology

ghetto (n.)
1610s, "part of a city in which Jews are compelled to live," especially in Italy, from Italian ghetto "part of a city to which Jews are restricted," of unknown origin.

Merriam Webster's Dictionary

1: a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3a: an isolated group
a geriatric ghetto
b: a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity

A ghetto is a place undoubtedly

Urban Dictionary is a place where anybody can post a definition of almost any type.
The word "ghetto" is defined there 199 different times by 199 different posters over 29 pages

The way America works is that is is somewhat accepted for people of a particular group to use a slur amongst themselves and they may due so with varying intents and tones
but it is much less acceptable for someone external to the group to use the word.
This is why it is not common to hear white people using the N word frequently around black people or this insider use of "ghetto". The news doesn't use "ghetto" and more or "Negro" or "Oriental" or "yellow people" etc

But if you want to go out and experiment go out and do so and try using these words around the various people

Some black people today use the word ghetto like an adjective instead of a noun and mean "you act badly like a person from the poorest neighborhood" so it describes a person's behavior but it is still linked to a place.
"Ghetto culture" is not even semi personal like that. A culture is something that a group does.
All of this links back to what "ghetto" means
In America it means "poor black neighborhood" and is not a positive term

You use "Ghetto culture" to mean "criminal culture" as negative

there is a criminal culture in some black neighborhoods but it is not the only culture there

Old 04-28-2021, 06:13 PM

Did I ever say that ghetto culture is the only culture in black neighborhoods? No, I neither said it, nor meant it - YOU are the one who keeps telling me I said something I didn't :-). Parkchester Condo, where I own a small unit, is about 40% black (the rest about 40% Puerto Rican/Dominican, and about 20% Bangladeshi - exact figures for 2020 census pending, should be published next month). I haven't seen examples of ghetto culture (or ghetto anything) there, although the neighborhood it is fairly black. If there are ghetto people there, they aren't particularly visible.

Parkchester west of the condo complex is an entirely different story. There was a murder (shooting) there about a week ago, and the perpetrator arrived in Mercedes - THAT is ghetto culture, although a Mercedes certainly does not equal poverty, and I don't even know what the race of the perpetrator is, but white is somehow not my first guess (the victim had a Latino name).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City