Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 07:15 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To the bolded in the 1st pgraph, a mentally ill person is not going to assess who's from where, in their mind, looks Chinese enough, and that's that

To the bolded in the 2nd pgraph, average American IQ is 100. The media can't do anything to change that number, no matter how they report the news.
An IQ of 100 is average and nowhere close to being considered mentally impaired: IQ Classifications - AssessmentPsychology.com Still, as I mentioned to the other poster, even the mental illness argument isn't being consistently applied in the media for these things.

But I do think that media shapes a lot with their cries. People aren't just believing that whites are attacking blacks, etc., out of nowhere. A lot is shaped by the narrative being pushed by the media; the media isn't to blame for everything, but they are a big part of the problem from where I stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 07:30 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Here's one of the main problems with what's going on
That people fail to understand
Because people are more concerned with what they believe or perceive to be true
Rather than pay attention to facts
And/or leaving their emotions out of it (which I'm finding that a lot of people have trouble doing)
It's not anti-Asian hate crime going on here, not at all.

It's crimes being committed against people who are perceived to be Chinese
Not all Asians

Same people on here complaining about the media's inaccuracy, are using the same inaccurate labeling of these crimes that their "beloved" media does, surprise surprise

When people descended from the Indian subcontinent and Siberia start getting attacked, then we can call it anti-Asian hate crimes.

Also, I have a brain. I don't need the media to even get the story right. As long as there's video, I can see for myself who did what, and draw my own conclusions. You don't like the media, stop watching it. I'm tired of getting reminded of how bad of a job the media does reporting (which is subjective anyway). We have enough cognitive skills to come post, but not enough to seek the truth. Seeking the truth is too much work.

In the area of NYC that I am familiar with (and you know which one :-), there have been occasional attacks on Bangladeshis for years. Not in the condo complex, but just south/east of it, where Bangladeshis tend to have family homes and businesses. What has been reported is probably the tip of the iceberg because I have heard they don't go to the police (which I can't comprehend). Anyway, the Bangladeshis have been attacked (there was a taxi driver who was very severely beaten), and the perpetrators in all cases I know of were young black men. If I remember correctly, in the case of the taxi driver, I think the mother of one of the perpetrators reported them. It was several years before the "Chinese virus" and "kung flu" and whatever irrelevant Trump stupidities anybody tries to stretch into the absurd argument that Trump caused the anti-Asian violence. Trump is certainly not popular among non-white criminals, and the attacks are not facilitated by Trump, but by "progressive" politicians who want to decriminalize all crime except the crime committed by whites (in which case, penalties should be increased to the maximum :-). So, it IS in fact anti-Asian violence, perpetrated overwhelmingly by African American criminals, with very very rare sprinkling of white ones.

Regarding crime in "my" area of NYC, I also know of one crime where one African immigrant (ie, a black person, obviously), who had a street stand where he sold small odds and ends, was severely beaten and his little merchandise destroyed by the same general type of thugs who have been attacking Bangladeshis. That shows you the motive: the malicious hate that criminal losers have against modest people who work for their living and self-sufficiency, where the Asian race becomes a motivator for violence because Asians are perceived to be operating that way, ie, slowly and patiently building their family resources by their own work. THAT is what a certain type of thug and a "woke" seems to hate more than anything.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
You'd have to be stupid to think that all those White folks on Fox News and conservative talk show radio who are saying China virus and advocating for a mass quarantine of Asian heavy neighborhoods, did a 180 and suddenly started caring about anti-Asian hate crimes out of guilt or the goodness of their hearts. They're only vocal because recent perpetrators have been Black. It's literally the same thing as black ppl acting like they cared about the GA shooting bc the shooter was white. They suddenly become very quiet and begin deflecting angrily if the attacker's race is black. Conclusion - black and white people are tribal and use Asians as a proxy in their game.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
An IQ of 100 is average and nowhere close to being considered mentally impaired: IQ Classifications - AssessmentPsychology.com Still, as I mentioned to the other poster, even the mental illness argument isn't being consistently applied in the media for these things.

But I do think that media shapes a lot with their cries. People aren't just believing that whites are attacking blacks, etc., out of nowhere. A lot is shaped by the narrative being pushed by the media; the media isn't to blame for everything, but they are a big part of the problem from where I stand.
I see my comment regarding the average American IQ needs further explanation. This is not about being mentally impaired. 100 IQ is of average intelligence.

So think about the message that you say the media portrays (I don't know because I really don't pay attention to the media), and think of how the person of average or lower intelligence will interpret the reporting, as opposed to someone of higher intelligence.

Think of the media as a car, and the American public as the driver. The car cannot cause an accident all on its own.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
In the area of NYC that I am familiar with (and you know which one :-), there have been occasional attacks on Bangladeshis for years. Not in the condo complex, but just south/east of it, where Bangladeshis tend to have family homes and businesses. What has been reported is probably the tip of the iceberg because I have heard they don't go to the police (which I can't comprehend). Anyway, the Bangladeshis have been attacked (there was a taxi driver who was very severely beaten), and the perpetrators in all cases I know of were young black men. If I remember correctly, in the case of the taxi driver, I think the mother of one of the perpetrators reported them. It was several years before the "Chinese virus" and "kung flu" and whatever irrelevant Trump stupidities anybody tries to stretch into the absurd argument that Trump caused the anti-Asian violence. Trump is certainly not popular among non-white criminals, and the attacks are not facilitated by Trump, but by "progressive" politicians who want to decriminalize all crime except the crime committed by whites (in which case, penalties should be increased to the maximum :-). So, it IS in fact anti-Asian violence, perpetrated overwhelmingly by African American criminals, with very very rare sprinkling of white ones.

Regarding crime in "my" area of NYC, I also know of one crime where one African immigrant (ie, a black person, obviously), who had a street stand where he sold small odds and ends, was severely beaten and his little merchandise destroyed by the same general type of thugs who have been attacking Bangladeshis. That shows you the motive: the malicious hate that criminal losers have against modest people who work for their living and self-sufficiency, where the Asian race becomes a motivator for violence because Asians are perceived to be operating that way, ie, slowly and patiently building their family resources by their own work. THAT is what a certain type of thug and a "woke" seems to hate more than anything.
Your comment about Bangladeshis in Parkchester has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, due to the time period you said it occurred. If we're going to go there, then we can discuss how Asians were treated on the West Coast after WWII. I'm only discussing current events.

Once again, you missing the point here - Asian is an adjective describing a continent. Recently, people are not getting attacked just because they are from a continent. I don't think this concept is so difficult to grasp.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
You'd have to be stupid to think that all those White folks on Fox News and conservative talk show radio who are saying China virus and advocating for a mass quarantine of Asian heavy neighborhoods, did a 180 and suddenly started caring about anti-Asian hate crimes out of guilt or the goodness of their hearts. They're only vocal because recent perpetrators have been Black. It's literally the same thing as black ppl acting like they cared about the GA shooting bc the shooter was white. They suddenly become very quiet and begin deflecting angrily if the attacker's race is black. Conclusion - black and white people are tribal and use Asians as a proxy in their game.
The more you think you have it figured out, is actually the less you really know

Old 05-05-2021, 10:13 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think it goes a little deeper than that as some of the Asians attacked in what appear to be racially motivated attacks are clearly not ethnically Chinese, to include multiple people of Filipino ancestry who were attacked, though that is a fair point as I do think this explains a lot of things.

Moving on, my problem with the media is that they do influence a lot of people and help to greatly shape the national narrative, which is causing great division. Still, I'd have less of a problem with the media if more of them actually said that they supported a particular ideology (like Fox News does). But when multiple news organizations say that they are impartial (but are far from it), it is a big issue as far as I'm concerned. And we've gotten to the point where if you even push back and say there is no evidence of racism, you are called a racist, etc. I get that it isn't a problem for everyone, but I'm not speaking for everyone. Just for myself.

It's not quite about whether or not the person is actually ethnically Chinese, but the perp perceiving that person as Chinese. A lot of these people aren't too bright or are a bit unhinged, so it's reasonable to expect that they aren't exactly making a fine distinction here. It's not like being ignorant enough to blame Chinese-Americans for the coronavirus is orthogonal to being ignorant enough to lump other people of vaguely different looks to be the same. I grew up with occasional ethnic slurs thrown my way that weren't accurate. I also remember hearing from an Armenian friend's older family members talking about a time when people started **** with them with ethnic slurs about Italians. It's not like you then go into a reasonable conversation talking about the differences between the cultures and peoples, and then the perp goes, "oh, you're right, I was mistaken in my attribution of your ethnicity when I was trying to **** you up due to that notion; now that I understand the distinction, I offer my apologies and will be more careful in my selection of people to attack based on ethnicity." I think it's possible the perps in these recent attacks are unlikely to be people who are really that attuned to making such distinctions. As an aside, a lot of Filipinos in NYC or otherwise have at least some Chinese ancestry.

I agree that news media companies presenting themselves as fair, balanced, or unbiased is generally a load of hooey. It's nice to aspire to that, but that's not how it generally works out.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-05-2021 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-05-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Your comment about Bangladeshis in Parkchester has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, due to the time period you said it occurred. If we're going to go there, then we can discuss how Asians were treated on the West Coast after WWII. I'm only discussing current events.

Once again, you missing the point here - Asian is an adjective describing a continent. Recently, people are not getting attacked just because they are from a continent. I don't think this concept is so difficult to grasp.

You are treating history as your convenience. The events of 150+ years ago (slavery) or of 50+ years ago (redlining) greatly matter to you today, but the events of 2 years ago (targeted attacks on Bangladeshis in Parkchester) cannot possibly matter at the present moment, since they do not support your "theory" :-). No, nothing is difficult to grasp here. You said in your previous post that something cannot be called anti-Asian pattern of crime if it does not include South Asians. I responded that it DOES include South Asians (as exemplified by Bangladeshis in the Bronx). A pattern of black criminals targeting Asian folks for attacks has existed for years, only now has spiked (along with the spike in many other types of crime). Bangladeshis in Parkchester are afraid of that type of crime at continuous baseline, including as we speak. It has been an ONGOING problem, and it is very much within the realm of "current events".

Old 05-05-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I just did a 30-sec online search, and the latest severe beating of a Bangladeshi (considered a hate crime) in and around Parkchester, the Bronx happened on July 27, 2020. There have been 25 incidents of that in the previous two... (the rest is behind a paywall). Guess what, Mr. Current Events: July 2020 is a bit more recent than WWII (or slavery, or redlining).

Old 05-05-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I just did a 30-sec online search, and the latest severe beating of a Bangladeshi (considered a hate crime) in and around Parkchester, the Bronx happened on July 27, 2020. There have been 25 incidents of that in the previous two... (the rest is behind a paywall). Guess what, Mr. Current Events: July 2020 is a bit more recent than WWII (or slavery, or redlining).
Find some attacks against Vietnamese in Fordham Heights in the past 2 years then, since your Google skills seem to work. Another Asian community in the Bronx that you are probably unaware of. By your argument, they should have been affected, as well.

The Bangladesh problem in Parkchester is directly aimed at them, and its done by people living in the neighborhood. Nobody's traveling to Parkchester to commit violent acts against them just because they are from Asia. And it started soon as they started moving there. Humans can be jerks towards others when they don't understand other cultures. People got out of whack when the first mosque appeared in the neighborhood. I have a decent knowledge of Parkchester and the surrounding area.

What's happening now, i.e. the article posted in the original post, is a completely different issue.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 05-05-2021 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City