Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 02:09 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oklahoma is probably the safest bet. It's lax in just about anything, it's cheap and it keeps getting massive infusions of cash from the federal level redistributed from states like New York and which filter down to the rest of the local economy.
Oklahoma was recently rated the number one state for health freedom. New York was in last place and Califoria was 49th(No surpises there).

https://meganredshaw.substack.com/p/...ive-in-move-to

"Oklahoma is tops in literally every category and no other state comes close. Oklahoma has religious, philosophical, and medical vaccine exemptions, great homeschooling and medical freedoms,

Businesses are open, masks are not required"

Old 12-16-2021, 02:12 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Oklahoma was recently rated the number one state for health freedom. New York was in last place and Califoria was 49th(No surpises there).

https://meganredshaw.substack.com/p/...ive-in-move-to

"Oklahoma is tops in literally every category and no other state comes close. Oklahoma has religious, philosophical, and medical vaccine exemptions, great homeschooling and medical freedoms,

Businesses are open, masks are not required"
Yea, I mentioned Oklahoma as it seemed like a good fit for what the OP asked. Also, Oklahoma gets a massive net federal cash infusion so it can do all sorts of things given the nice social welfare spending other states essentially throw into Oklahoma so that it's still in pretty good shape and meanwhile pretty much everywhere in the state even its biggest cities have very low costs of living. It's a pretty good deal overall, so I think the OP should strongly consider it given his preferences and the tight finances.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-16-2021 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 03:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
A friend of mine moved to Texas and that State has options on whether to take the vaccine or not. I think Florida is another good place to move minus its hurricanes.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:12 PM

38 posts, read 43,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oklahoma is probably the safest bet. It's lax in just about anything, it's cheap and it keeps getting massive infusions of cash from the federal level redistributed from states like New York and which filter down to the rest of the local economy.
Thanks for the tip -- I'll check it out...do you have any personal knowledge, like friends or family (even a weekend trip)? I just think of oil and Indian tribes (yes I have a lot of homework to do!!)....

P.S.
Why did you think of Oklahoma, actually? Just curious....

Last edited by New2Invest; 12-16-2021 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Come to California.

Meanwhile, in California, I am patiently waiting for NYC covid numbers to go down so I can eat pizza and bagels and walk the streets (photography and exploration). I am okay with not being able to get into restaurants and sights - I just want to experience the city and walk around.
W-w-what??? Isn't that just another mandate-happy place???

BTW, I work in the ghetto -- where masking and 'rona compliance was never a thang -- and haven't had a problem yet in two years of "essential!" employment...just had a guy vaping three seats away from me in a subway car only yesterday, for example...I have to admit being puzzled by all the reports of the dead and dying (well I do keep to myself so I live in my own pod LOL)...am I really this stupendously lucky???

Old 12-16-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
You're basically limited to a few red states or red areas within blue states.
Yeah, was afraid of this!!

Quote:
A lot of New Yorkers still somewhat young have headed towards mid Atlantic states. Raleigh, NC is one of them. I'd also look at parts of Virginia maybe not too far outside of Washington D.C. You also have the burbs of Philly which are quite nice but still close to a major city hub. Maybe consider Atlanta, GA suburbs, too.
My impression of Philly is that the cost of living is comparable to NYC but the economy is much worse. What do you think?

I'd forgotten about D.C. Would be interested, too.

Quote:
I'm looking eventually at either Orange County, CA (Irvine), Vegas or Tampa. All much higher quality of life with decent economies.
How did you wind up with these places, exactly? Why would they work for you, please?

Old 12-16-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You can move right outside the city. We don't have to deal with anywhere near the level of government oppression accepted by NYC residents, yet still benefit from the jobs available in the area. It's not ideal, but it is certainly better.
Hmm, didn't really think of this! But then again, that's probably because of my impression about this Tri-State corner of the country being a Democrat Dictatorship in general. Aincha in Joisey and don't they have some kinda mandate afoot, too??

Old 12-16-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
There are two ways people get by in New York City.
It is roughly split 50-50.

Get on the Welfare program ( that's what we called it back in the day )
which includes free rent,healthcare,transportation,education,hospitali zation,
food and all sorts of buzz word orientations in return for total containment and compliance.

or

Continue to work and work hard picking up a second job,side job,any job,
Work long hours round the clock.
Share an apartment with friends to cut
costs or cut a deal with a Landlord to take out the garbage,shovel snow,
assist in small home maintenance to reduce your costs all the while in
return for experience, pride ,independence and finally wealth.

Best wishes.................
Oh, I was doing okay with a easy $53-56K gig...but one of the execs at work is big into "Our New Normal" and almost relishes the upcoming December 27 De Bozo deadline so I'm having to look into contingency plans....

Old 12-16-2021, 07:38 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Invest View Post
Hmm, didn't really think of this! But then again, that's probably because of my impression about this Tri-State corner of the country being a Democrat Dictatorship in general. Aincha in Joisey and don't they have some kinda mandate afoot, too??
It's not ideal, but it was the best choice since I am bound to this area because I would never leave my kids. It is far better than NYC though.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-16-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Texas or Florida, which I am not a huge fan of both states purely because of the lack of forests and nature.
If they require kids to be vaccinated we are out of here. The hell with this fruit loop state.
It's sooooo nutty...I'm actually not even against vaccines and not even this one (I mean any of the 'rona ones out now)...but I'm just one of those people who really has trouble suffering fools and this nonsense by De Bozo is being seized upon by a liberal company executive to finally force everyone to get with the program.

I don't doubt "The Science" or anything but I do question the whole narrative of "listening to science"...you never simply listen to the scientists/doctors/teachers/social workers/cops/generals...that's exactly why the President has the "nuclear football" with him all times -- Truman, a former Army Artillery officer himself and combat vet of World War I, simply let his generals use the newly developed atomic bomb as they saw fit...after all, you defer to the experts...well he had a fit of feces when he learned that they nuked major metropolises instead of the most military targets they'd promised (a bit like pulverizing the Big Apple on account of the Brooklyn Army Terminal and Brooklyn Navy Yard)...that's how come the President since then was the sole decision-maker when it came to nukes -- you never simply listen to the "experts"...they will always want more money more war more jabs more shots more boosters more lockdowns more tests...people don't understand how human psychology creates illusions....

This is just 9/11 for liberals: the liberals' turn to run wild and go nuts chasing a fly around the house with a shotgun....

Anyway, I was looking into Texas but not sure I can handle the hurricanes of Florida. Do you have personal experience with either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City