Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 10:32 PM

38 posts, read 43,514 times

Advertisements

I will probably have to leave this town and likely the whole state due to De Blaz's transparent political ploy...where's a good place for entry-level type of jobs??

I don't need the so-called cultural amenities but really just the economic opportunities like NYC -- that's really all I'm looking for, a comparable "job climate"...um, preferably without hurricanes/tornadoes/droughts/floods/earthquakes/wildfires/alligators/gunslingers....

Not rich or have any real savings ($5K cash, $22K Roth IRA)...all relevant/actionable advice/insight appreciated...never been out of town for more than a few months (Albany, Atlanta, and Philly, that's all) so whatever tips you got, please!

Old 12-15-2021, 11:23 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Oklahoma is probably the safest bet. It's lax in just about anything, it's cheap and it keeps getting massive infusions of cash from the federal level redistributed from states like New York and which filter down to the rest of the local economy.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 680,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Invest View Post
I will probably have to leave this town and likely the whole state due to De Blaz's transparent political ploy...where's a good place for entry-level type of jobs??

I don't need the so-called cultural amenities but really just the economic opportunities like NYC -- that's really all I'm looking for, a comparable "job climate"...um, preferably without hurricanes/tornadoes/droughts/floods/earthquakes/wildfires/alligators/gunslingers....

Not rich or have any real savings ($5K cash, $22K Roth IRA)...all relevant/actionable advice/insight appreciated...never been out of town for more than a few months (Albany, Atlanta, and Philly, that's all) so whatever tips you got, please!
Come to California.

Meanwhile, in California, I am patiently waiting for NYC covid numbers to go down so I can eat pizza and bagels and walk the streets (photography and exploration). I am okay with not being able to get into restaurants and sights - I just want to experience the city and walk around.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:21 AM

791 posts, read 488,852 times
You're basically limited to a few red states or red areas within blue states. A lot of New Yorkers still somewhat young have headed towards mid Atlantic states. Raleigh, NC is one of them. I'd also look at parts of Virginia maybe not too far outside of Washington D.C. You also have the burbs of Philly which are quite nice but still close to a major city hub. Maybe consider Atlanta, GA suburbs, too.

I'm looking eventually at either Orange County, CA (Irvine), Vegas or Tampa. All much higher quality of life with decent economies.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:18 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
You can move right outside the city. We don't have to deal with anywhere near the level of government oppression accepted by NYC residents, yet still benefit from the jobs available in the area. It's not ideal, but it is certainly better.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-16-2021, 04:22 AM

16,101 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:

There are two ways people get by in New York City.
It is roughly split 50-50.

Get on the Welfare program ( that's what we called it back in the day )
which includes free rent,healthcare,transportation,education,hospitali zation,
food and all sorts of buzz word orientations in return for total containment and compliance.

or

Continue to work and work hard picking up a second job,side job,any job,
Work long hours round the clock.
Share an apartment with friends to cut
costs or cut a deal with a Landlord to take out the garbage,shovel snow,
assist in small home maintenance to reduce your costs all the while in
return for experience, pride ,independence and finally wealth.

Best wishes.................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-16-2021 at 04:33 AM..

Old 12-16-2021, 07:33 AM

5,833 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Texas or Florida, which I am not a huge fan of both states purely because of the lack of forests and nature.
If they require kids to be vaccinated we are out of here. The hell with this fruit loop state.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:48 AM

7,369 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:

I don't need the so-called cultural amenities but really just the economic opportunities like NYC -- that's really all I'm looking for, a comparable "job climate"...um, preferably without hurricanes/tornadoes/droughts/floods/earthquakes/wildfires/alligators/gunslingers..
So as I never get tried of saying on City-Data, I've lived in NYC, Boston, Austin, and now Virginia.

My two cents is find the job first and move to it. Most of the country is pretty homogeneous so you'll be find anywhere.

What are you doing how? What do you want to do?

Old 12-16-2021, 07:57 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,740,027 times
”There are two ways people get by in New York City.
It is roughly split 50-50.”

Putting aside the accuracy of the ones you identified, you left out the most important: born rich, stay rich thanks to cushy connections and then inheritance your whole life.

OP, good luck finding the economic opportunities of NYC anywhere else that isn't equally blue. That's like saying, "I want to leave my girlfriend for someone else; I'm not picky, so long as she's as beautiful as Beyonce." Especially if you aren't capable of working out that if you were born in the US, you yourself were mandatorily vaccinated with half a dozen vaccines already.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:16 AM

621 posts, read 241,214 times
Interesting that OP actually garnered responses in what seems to me like a trollish post. DeBlasio is leaving in 15 days and only now does he/she decide that they want out? I suppose the "bash NYC" reactions sought after was achieved. Mission accomplished! PS - there's not a place in the U.S. you can move to with $5k in cash. There's always St. Thomas though."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City