Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Self-checkout machines, yay or nay?
Yay 21 70.00%
Nay 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:00 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times

Advertisements

Use them for fruit, veggies and other by weight purchases all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I do like them for small simple purchases. But for groceries, including vegetables, no way.

Let’s save some jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 10:01 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Likely happening, but I've seen signs they're trying to deal with it. Now seeing added surveillance cameras at the checkouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Nope. Encourages theft. Too many complications at self checkout. Pass

I hope they start robbing retailers blind who mostly have self checkout. That'll learn ya

Old 02-21-2022, 11:16 PM

111 posts, read 47,320 times
Love self-checkout. It's why I go to CVS instead of Duane Reade.

The two Whole Foods I go to the most often (East 57th and the one at the Time Warner Center) both have self-checkout. So fast! I see so many people waiting on those long lines, but there's never a line for the self-checkout stations.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:56 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaladane714 View Post
Love self-checkout. It's why I go to CVS instead of Duane Reade.

The two Whole Foods I go to the most often (East 57th and the one at the Time Warner Center) both have self-checkout. So fast! I see so many people waiting on those long lines, but there's never a line for the self-checkout stations.
They have self checkout now at the Columbus Circle location? When did that happen? I used to go there and stopped because the line would literally wrap around the store.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They have self checkout now at the Columbus Circle location? When did that happen? I used to go there and stopped because the line would literally wrap around the store.
I was surprised myself to see it! In recent months I usually go to the East 57th street WF, but I went to the CC Whole Foods a few weeks ago. I only had a few items and the personnel there ushered me to the self-checkout line. I shouldn't even call it a "line", there were many empty self-checkout stations waiting to be used--no line/queue to speak of!

Old 02-22-2022, 09:02 AM

1,426 posts, read 727,789 times
I use them pretty much all the time unless I'm buying a lot of stuff, which is rare.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I was surprised myself to see it! In recent months I usually go to the East 57th street WF, but I went to the CC Whole Foods a few weeks ago. I only had a few items and the personnel there ushered me to the self-checkout line. I shouldn't even call it a "line", there were many empty self-checkout stations waiting to be used--no line/queue to speak of!
Where is it located in there? I haven't been in there in years because it was a zoo for so long, in addition to being overcharged constantly. I became sick of it. I think the last time I shopped there it was before Amazon took over, that's how long it's been. The one on E 57th St apparently also has self checkout now, over by where they used to keep all of the pastries and such. Weird place to put it, but fine by me. That location is too cramped though and too many Amazon Prime shoppers, so I would only go there when it isn't crowded.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Where is it located in there? I haven't been in there in years because it was a zoo for so long, in addition to being overcharged constantly. I became sick of it. I think the last time I shopped there it was before Amazon took over, that's how long it's been. The one on E 57th St apparently also has self checkout now, over by where they used to keep all of the pastries and such. Weird place to put it, but fine by me. That location is too cramped though and too many Amazon Prime shoppers, so I would only go there when it isn't crowded.
Pierrepont, coincidentally I was just there at the CC Whole Foods not more than an hour ago.

The self checkout section is adjacent to the rows of cashiers (to the right of the cashiers bank). There are about 18-20 self checkout stations. You get on line as usual and then there are signs for self checkout, just follow the signs to get on the right line. I think the self checkout option has replaced the Express Line option. The other day when I went there were hardly any stations in use, but today it was more crowded so the workers directed us to the free stations--"16", "12", etc. Even so there was no waiting!

It was so super fast to pay for my items myself and then just hop on the Up escalator! Those old lines, while they moved pretty quickly considering their length, were just too dizzying for me.

Last edited by Zaladane714; 02-23-2022 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Pierrepont, coincidentally I was just there at the CC Whole Foods not more than an hour ago.

The self checkout section is adjacent to the rows of cashiers (to the right of the cashiers bank). There are about 18-20 self checkout stations. You get on line as usual and then there are signs for self checkout, just follow the signs to get on the right line. I think the self checkout option has replaced the Express Line option. The other day when I went there were hardly any stations in use, but today it was more crowded so the workers directed us to the free stations--"16", "12", etc. Even so there was no waiting!

It was so super fast to pay for my items myself and then just hop on the Up escalator! Those old lines, while they moved pretty quickly considering their length, were just too dizzying for me.
I may check it out. I assume that their stocking issues have improved as well? That was another issue.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:36 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Quote:
They've had them for quite a while now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City