Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Self-checkout machines, yay or nay?
Yay 21 70.00%
Nay 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 05:48 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Large supermarkets on SI have had self-checkout machines for 30 years. I use them most of the time. I get out of the store quicker using self-checkout.
Yes, but not the case for chains like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Any self checkouts at those grocers are more a new thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 05:51 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Retail including supermarkets are struggling to find employees, this was before covid, and that issue has only gotten worse.

Working cash registers adds a whole other layer to hiring and training. People undergo a higher level of background checks, must show competency in math, ability to be "register trained", and so on. You can come out of Dannemora and get a job at McDonald's but won't be allowed anywhere near register or anything that involves touching money.

You go into any place, Rite Aid, Morton Williams, banks, etc... and though you'll often see many spots for cashiers/tellers, only a handful actually are open. Places just don't have the staffing...

Self-checkout is a godsend! One doesn't have to wait in long lines, just get what one wants, pays, and Bang-Zoom-Boom, am out.

It isn't always just staffing issues. You always get some older person or chatty-Kathy that gets up to cashier and starts running their mouths. That or have a huge cart of things and asks "how much is this?" or "is this on sale?", "why isn't this on sale?", etc.. for every GD item in said cart. Again all this while running their mouths as if they are otherwise on lock down and have been let out for an hour of recreation.

But wait, fun isn't over yet. Once total is finally rung up they want to pay by cash. Out comes some ancient billfold or money purse and they peel off exact amount of bills (or close to), then begin counting out change. "Wait, I have a quarter/penny/dime..." This or it takes them ages to use their SNAP, debit or credit card.... Meanwhile line is long and growing... No one has time for that nonsense....

LOL! People like that annoy me too.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:02 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Stop & Shop has had them for over 15 years. Several times the machine malfunctioned in giving me change and it didn’t say how much change I was owed so I had to convince the attendant. That’s not cool.

I don’t like self checkouts at CVS because they either force you to use them by having no cashiers or the cashier stands in front of the machine and tells you to use it. I usually have a lot of coupons from CVS and they often don’t register for some reason so the cashier has to get them applied. At a self checkout I would have to find an employee because they often aren’t around when you need them.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:33 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Aldi's. Now those checkers know how to move a line.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:39 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Aldi's. Now those checkers know how to move a line.
Mostly due to them not bagging groceries.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-10-2022, 06:43 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Many often complain this or that cashier, teller or whoever is "mean", "rude" or "nasty", but there's often more to things.

Those people often catch flack if lines are too long and they are taking a long time per customer.

Yes, tellers/cashiers are supposed to be personable, but with some people you say one word to them, "hello", and they start babbling. You get some motor mouth up there who is also totally oblivious to fact there is a long line of others waiting, and problems start.

Same thing with telephone customer service reps. They are monitored on many things including how much time spent on each call. That blurb about "this call may be monitored for training and other purposes..." is true. It could be a monitor/supervisor plugged in listening, or recording played back later as part of customer service rep's performance review.

In any event some cashiers or whatever just shut things down from get go.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:47 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Mostly due to them not bagging groceries.
True, but also nothing more annoying then watching some able bodied person, buy a pile of stuff, and sit back and watch the cashier bag it all while directing them how to bag it. Hey buddy how about helping out.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:49 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
True, but also nothing more annoying then watching some able bodied person, buy a pile of stuff, and sit back and watch the cashier bag it all while directing them how to bag it. Hey buddy how about helping out.
I agree

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-10-2022, 06:58 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Because they can't find enough cashiers.

I occasionally use the Whole Foods on 3rd and 87th. But the checkout lines had gotten absurdly long. A few times I walked out because the line was too long. Recently they put in self checks, and the lines are now much shorter.
Even with self-checkout that WF is still a hot mess. Lines consistently long, rude to down right abusive staff...

Recent reviews on Yelp pretty much sums things up.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/whole-foods-market-new-york-16

Old 02-10-2022, 06:58 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, but not the case for chains like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Any self checkouts at those grocers are more a new thing.

TJ has self checkout- its so efficient you don't even need to pay. Just don't take the red basket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City