Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 12:55 AM

789 posts, read 488,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cej2009 View Post
It's been 6 yrs since we last visited NYC. Based on what I've been reading lately, the subway has turned into Thunderdome. Should we just avoid the subway this time around on our trip (leisure). Just trying to get a read from real New Yorkers that ride the subway every day.
Sadly, a lot of it depends on your race. If you're white or asian, I wouldn't get on the subway going into black/hispanic neighborhoods no matter what time of the day. I'm talking the Bronx (exception Yankees games but season over), most of Queens (except into Sunnyside/Astoria or out to Forest Hills/Kew Gardens or maybe Flushing) and most of central Brooklyn. And nothing in Manhattan north of the upper ease/west sides.

The media doesn't cover it, but a lot of white and asian folks are being attacked. Kind of like the 80s. It's swept under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 03:14 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cej2009 View Post
It's been 6 yrs since we last visited NYC. Based on what I've been reading lately, the subway has turned into Thunderdome. Should we just avoid the subway this time around on our trip (leisure). Just trying to get a read from real New Yorkers that ride the subway every day.

Rode the subway system for over 40 years. In my opinion, as always,
Only one period of time that I felt the safest and that was under the Giuliani administration.
Every other time period presented ( past to present ) I would regard as a risk with the emphasis on
a greater propensity of becoming a victim of violence today more so that just an ordinary stick up in the past.

Keep transportation above ground........................Fill the hole with sand.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:36 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Sadly, a lot of it depends on your race. If you're white or asian, I wouldn't get on the subway going into black/hispanic neighborhoods no matter what time of the day. I'm talking the Bronx (exception Yankees games but season over), most of Queens (except into Sunnyside/Astoria or out to Forest Hills/Kew Gardens or maybe Flushing) and most of central Brooklyn. And nothing in Manhattan north of the upper ease/west sides.

The media doesn't cover it, but a lot of white and asian folks are being attacked. Kind of like the 80s. It's swept under the rug.
The media doesn't cover it? Couldn't be further from the truth. They are definitely covering subway crimes and the possibility of them being hate crimes. That said, lately a number of the attacks have been minorities on minorities, since a chunk of the people involved are mentally ill. If you're going to make comments, at least be accurate. Watching the news right now discussing subway crimes...

Old 11-29-2022, 04:50 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

Jackson Heights (which the OP hasn't mentioned) although has a large hispanic population also has many whites there. So I think if one is male they have no problem there but if one is female they need to be more careful.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:27 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
All good. The people of this city had a safe city and subway system 10 years ago (remember how the city reminded everyone then that it was the “safest big city in the country?” You don’t hear that anymore.) but the people got spoiled and voted in all the destructive progressive politicians and they set out to piece by piece dismantle everything that made it safe and now everyone will get what they voted for.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:33 AM

5,831 posts, read 2,953,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
All good. The people of this city had a safe city and subway system 10 years ago (remember how the city reminded everyone then that it was the “safest big city in the country?” You don’t hear that anymore.) but the people got spoiled and voted in all the destructive progressive politicians and they set out to piece by piece dismantle everything that made it safe and now everyone will get what they voted for.
City is constantly changing. No one dreams of moving to Queens or Brooklyn with hopes of raising a family. You come, you save, make money and move where you can buy a house and raise a family.
It was always like that and always will be. Almost every one I knew from back in the day has done this. This is why anything outside NYC is red and new immigrants and poor left behind vote blue.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:44 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
City is constantly changing. No one dreams of moving to Queens or Brooklyn with hopes of raising a family. You come, you save, make money and move where you can buy a house and raise a family.
It was always like that and always will be. Almost every one I knew from back in the day has done this. This is why anything outside NYC is red and new immigrants and poor left behind vote blue.
You’re kinda mistaken. Plenty of chic, rich, liberal, white areas are deep blue. They don’t get bluer than Chelsea, West Village, Greenwich Village, Park Slope, UES, UWS. Even the poorer areas aren’t more solidly blue those mostly white enclaves.

Anyway, all that blue voting, especially for those destructive “progressive” candidates did absolutely no good for anyone other than the criminals. NYC was a generous welfare state even before this wave of progressive pols taking office so that couldn’t be the benefit. With the cost of living higher as a result of all their schemes increase taxes, min wage, tolls, fees, fines, etc. everyone is worse off. The poor are the biggest victims of the increased crime. What’s the point of electing them if that is the result? Do these people even know how to think anymore?

Old 11-29-2022, 07:59 AM

5,831 posts, read 2,953,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You’re kinda mistaken. Plenty of chic, rich, liberal, white areas are deep blue. They don’t get bluer than Chelsea, West Village, Greenwich Village, Park Slope, UES, UWS. Even the poorer areas aren’t more solidly blue those mostly white enclaves.

Anyway, all that blue voting, especially for those destructive “progressive” candidates did absolutely no good for anyone other than the criminals. NYC was a generous welfare state even before this wave of progressive pols taking office so that couldn’t be the benefit. With the cost of living higher as a result of all their schemes increase taxes, min wage, tolls, fees, fines, etc. everyone is worse off. The poor are the biggest victims of the increased crime. What’s the point of electing them if that is the result? Do these people even know how to think anymore?
I meant to include those areas that are blue. I just dont take them seriously as they live in the bubble of some sort. Those aren't real people.

Also I dont think rich folk vote. They are too busy making or spending money.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:36 AM

3,503 posts, read 1,414,327 times
I never take the subway anymore because I stay at home all day everyday because of Covid. The virus is still out there so I need to remain at home at all times and do my civic duty to end this pandemic!

Old 11-29-2022, 11:53 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,679,883 times
NYC has the technology to clean up the subways. They have cameras everywhere, all it needs to do is become more proactive with responding to conflicts. The few cases where someone was beaten or pushed off the trains, they need to send cops quickly to the station. The video was caught on their camera so they need technology and people that can identify who the criminals are quickly to remove the perception that crime is rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City