Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,736 times

Advertisements

It's been 6 yrs since we last visited NYC. Based on what I've been reading lately, the subway has turned into Thunderdome. Should we just avoid the subway this time around on our trip (leisure). Just trying to get a read from real New Yorkers that ride the subway every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 07:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,632,449 times
IMO the much of what you're seeing in the media is overblown - however it is worse than its been in recent memory. Safe during the day and evenings, opt for a cab or uber after dinner. Its definitely in need of some TLC, though. Just my two cents.

Signed, a casual, once a week rider. YMMV.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:42 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,708,190 times
This is something I think about for my next trip. I think it all depends on where you're at, going & how busy it is. If you're in a busy area. Avoid standing near the edge and stay off your phone. I'd probably stand against something. Be mindful of people around you. If you can get closer to a large group that you feel is probably not going to cause trouble that would put you in a safer spot to.

At night I think you should consider Uber as I know I will. Again, depends where I'm at and going. It's all about weighing your odds. Thousands and thousands ride the trains every day so the more you do to be "safer" the better your odds are to be okay.

One thing I always do though is if I feel like I'll ride the train a good amount I get an unlimited metro card even if I'm still paying more than what I would for each commute. Reason being I like the idea of just walking down the stairs, through the gate and swiping the card quickly than going up to the ticket counter and taking my wallet out etc.. Again, you might spend more $ with the unlimited but if you're not losing to much I think it's worth it.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:45 AM

43,776 posts, read 44,554,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
This is something I think about for my next trip. I think it all depends on where you're at, going & how busy it is. If you're in a busy area. Avoid standing near the edge and stay off your phone. I'd probably stand against something. Be mindful of people around you. If you can get closer to a large group that you feel is probably not going to cause trouble that would put you in a safer spot to.
The above is good advice.

As for nighttime usage, it depends where you are going and how late at night. I think the early evening and even early nighttime (until 9-10 PM) is usually okay in heavy traffic areas of the subway system.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:39 AM

19,078 posts, read 14,029,030 times
I stopped taking the subway around 8-9 months ago, and I can carry a gun. It is not worth the risk when other options exist. My last trip to the city I parked right outside the Holland Tunnel, walked south past the WTC and back just to avoid taking the subway.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-26-2022, 08:07 AM

1,080 posts, read 557,515 times
I say use it at least once and see how it feels to you. I am using it frequently and so far no problems anymore so than in previous years. Which means there are homeless or crazy people or people you think you'd better avoid, here and there but I haven't seen any actual incidents.

It's good to use it when there are some people around but I try to avoid it completely during the rush hours as it's too crowded for me.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:26 AM

10,101 posts, read 14,514,498 times
I ride the subway 4-5 times every week, from Brooklyn into Manhattan.

The media overblows everything, as-is always the case, pumping fear into everyone, about most topics.

The biggest issue with the current subway state of things, is that there is a much higher amount of mentally ill individuals. They are usually homeless--and there is a big uptick in the amount on the trains.

When riding the subway, my advice is to be aware of your surroundings and who is in the sphere of where you are standing/sitting.

Lately, I see a lot of tourist folks tend to treat the subway like a suburban monorail, which it is not. Talking super loudly, phones out, looking and sort of staring at everyone. Don't do this--you'd be making yourself prime target for undesired interaction and attention of these unhinged mentally ill folks (and just crime targets in general).

Ride the trains--it's an easy way to get around NYC. But just be aware of your surroundings and don't forget that you are in a huge city of 8.5 million people and it's not a theme park.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:00 PM

65 posts, read 56,658 times
Just follow the new saying here:

''Don't ride the subway after 10pm''

And you'll be fine.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:09 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,762,403 times
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022...4081669493072/

Old 11-26-2022, 04:09 PM

1,038 posts, read 678,073 times
I take a train to work every day and don't feel afraid. It's usually full of commuters like me. My biggest complaint is systemic delays which happen more often than not. I don't think the trains are dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City