Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 08:23 AM

106 posts, read 129,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Just mind your own business and leave people alone, and you will be just fine on the subway. I would bet that about 90% of the crimes on the subway were due to people stirring up trouble or riling people up.
Can you think before you post and waste my time? Do you really think all those Asian women pushed onto the tracks, (plus that poor woman on the platform in Far Rockaway that got the holy hell beat out of her by a mental patient) were stirring up trouble?

People in this city have become downright STUPID..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 07:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Compare costs. Take the train unless you are frightened (of nothing) or opt to take cabs wherever you want to go.

Let your wallet decide for you. After one day you will probably opt for Public Transit.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-09-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-09-2022, 07:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Compare costs. Take the train unless you are frightened (of nothing) or opt to take cabs wherever you want to go. You can always opt for buses if time is not of concern,,,they can be slow.

Let your wallet decide for you.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:06 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I don't understand why people ignore this option. Alot of folks who are visiting or live in the more affluent areas can afford it.
I wish I had an express bus---I would 100% take it. But if you work off-shift, you're screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Just mind your own business and leave people alone, and you will be just fine on the subway. I would bet that about 90% of the crimes on the subway were due to people stirring up trouble or riling people up.
Really? I can assure you that every time I've been harassed, threatened, touched, etc. I have NEVER even spoken to them, looked at them, etc. before it happened. When it happens multiple times you can see why people would be tired of the subway.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:21 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I don't understand why people ignore this option. Alot of folks who are visiting or live in the more affluent areas can afford it.

Staten Island (no subway lines on S.I.) has numerous express bus routes but the other outer boroughs have fewer express routes. I always wondered why neighborhoods like high income Park Slope/Windsor Terrace never had an express bus route. With the MTA's endless budget problems I'd say the chances of expanding the express bus networks in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx are pretty slim. The MTA and others grumbles about the cost of the express bus network, but those buses are how a lot of NYC's upper middle-income people who can't WFH get to/from their jobs. You remember them, the NYC tax base.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:27 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Staten Island (no subway lines on S.I.) has numerous express bus routes but the other outer boroughs have fewer express routes. I always wondered why neighborhoods like high income Park Slope/Windsor Terrace never had an express bus route. With the MTA's endless budget problems I'd say the chances of expanding the express bus networks in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx are pretty slim. The MTA and others grumbles about the cost of the express bus network, but those buses are how a lot of NYC's upper middle-income people who can't WFH get to/from their jobs. You remember them, the NYC tax base.

Park Slope and Windsor Terrace have pretty good subway access which is probably why they don't have express bus service. Park Slope is also a pretty different level of high income than Windsor Terrace is, so grouping them is a bit weird. I think Windsor Terrace would be a lot more attractive if they capped over the expressway, but who knows when if ever they'll have the funds for such.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:23 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
We have a lot of express buses, especially in Northeast Queens (no subway), but yeah, agree with you about the upper middle class areas. Those are the areas that are the tax base. If they ever cut it, I would drive or take the railroad.

Old 12-10-2022, 04:40 PM

271 posts, read 306,399 times
We're on holiday from California here in NYC. Took the subway today from Times Square to Jamaica - subway looks old and tired - and the trains are crowded but it got us there. Certainly no comparison to Beijing or Singapore or even BART. But at least New Yorkers have an option. I do wish there were glass barriers preventing people from entering trains until they arrived.

Old 12-11-2022, 06:20 PM

473 posts, read 273,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sounds like you’re cool with the subway then. I’m not. Statistics aren’t everything. I’ve been through innumerable driving courses from the basics on up to various levels of combat driving, with practical experience overseas, and in my time as a cop.

I am much more comfortable driving my vehicle than I am hoping that a protected-class psycho doesn’t get the jump on me, or worse, I have to shoot one and deal with a court system stacked against normal humans.
When driving, you have to count on the hundreds of people around you, less trained than you are, and their command of deadly machines weighing thousands of pounds. This is a constant each time you drive. Taking the subway, you are faced with an INCREDIBLY small chance that someone picks you out of ALL people to attack. The subway is safer, obviously.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:15 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I repeat, then you are good with the subway. I am not.

I recognize this is MY OPINION. I am not stating it as fact. A properly stated opinion cannot be countered. Because it’s MY OPINION.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City