Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxchick View Post
I say go! I think it will be a interesting experience. If you want to see projects you can go to Manhattanville and Grant projects in Harlem their really close to 125th so you can also go to see the Apollo Theater and everything 125th has to offer. The South Bronx doesnt look as bad as it use to but there are some areas that still look pretty bad. Since you are a tourist I say go to Queensbridge simply because its the largest housing projects in the U.S. You can go to Bedstuy, Flatbush or Brownsville Brooklyn and look around Im sure you will find something interesting and you will defintely find some projects. Just go in the Day and you should be ok. You should tell us what happened when u get back. Have Fun!!!
QB is the largest housing project... really? Maybe they're just different projects in the same area, but some parts of Harlem seem to take up A LOT more area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 PM

59 posts, read 238,212 times
Quote:
QB is the largest housing project... really? Maybe they're just different projects in the same area, but some parts of Harlem seem to take up A LOT more area.
Yeah its actually the biggest it has 3,142 apartments and 96 buildings all 6 stories each. I was shocked too. I read about it on the online encyclopedia Wikipedia. I think they have a north side and a south side but its all the same projects.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Yeah its actually the biggest it has 3,142 apartments and 96 buildings all 6 stories each. I was shocked too. I read about it on the online encyclopedia Wikipedia. I think they have a north side and a south side but its all the same projects.
Wow, that is surprising.. a few of my friends live there, so I'm over there a lot, and I never really even considered it being the biggest.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 PM

59 posts, read 238,212 times
Yeah I was suprised too. Ive never been there I just know about them because thats where Nas, Rakim and Mobb Deep are from LOL.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:16 PM

124 posts, read 361,463 times
Default To Scared Stiff

Dear Protex Blue,
Thank you for the good laugh today about your trip to NYC to see the "Ghetto".I am a nurse and worked in the South Bronx for 20 years. I have traveled extensively around the world and that is when I saw really poor and "ghetto". Yes there is crime in NY, but where isn't there. Many buildings are old and delapitated but there are some good people who have to live in thoses areas.. You will be surprised. People in NY are all well dressed, clean and fashionable. You will see as you ride the train. My only advise to you is watch your bag, hold it in front of you, do not look puzzled,do not stare, and do not read on the train, and do not ride in an empty car on the train. Just be aware of your surroundings.There are some interesting sights. I know people who come from MI. and they said they were more frightened in Detroit than they were in NY, Have fun it's exciting and will be differesnt for you.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 PM

51 posts, read 244,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsand2 View Post
Dear Protex Blue,
Thank you for the good laugh today about your trip to NYC to see the "Ghetto".I am a nurse and worked in the South Bronx for 20 years. I have traveled extensively around the world and that is when I saw really poor and "ghetto". Yes there is crime in NY, but where isn't there. Many buildings are old and delapitated but there are some good people who have to live in thoses areas.. You will be surprised. People in NY are all well dressed, clean and fashionable. You will see as you ride the train. My only advise to you is watch your bag, hold it in front of you, do not look puzzled,do not stare, and do not read on the train, and do not ride in an empty car on the train. Just be aware of your surroundings.There are some interesting sights. I know people who come from MI. and they said they were more frightened in Detroit than they were in NY, Have fun it's exciting and will be differesnt for you.
True. Take a tour of the favelas in Rio Brazil, They make any us projects seem like the Trump Towers.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Yeah I was suprised too. Ive never been there I just know about them because thats where Nas, Mobb Deep are from LOL.
Fixed that for you. Rakim is from Long Island (winedance). He used to be in Fort Green a lot though with the original Supreme Team in Fort Green.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodey View Post
True. Take a tour of the favelas in Rio Brazil, They make any us projects seem like the Trump Towers.
I hate it when people bring up 3rd world countries and say it's more ghetto than somewhere else.. shut up. Go to Indonesia. Go to Africa. Go to North Korea. Go to Iraq

Old 05-29-2008, 05:06 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
96? Oh I see... Wikipedia...

Quennsbridge Houses has a total of 26 buildings, not 96, divided into 2 sections. The first being Queensbridge North with a total of 13 buildings and Queensbridge South with the remaining 13. Source: Official NYCHA development information.

Just to clarfiy: Queensbridge is the largest development, but it doesn't have the largest concentration of housing projects lumped together in one specific area. Brownsville takes the title. I'll say there's roughly about 7,000 residents that occupy all of Queensbridge. In Brownsville, from ENY Av. north to Livonia Av. south, Rockaway Av. to the west and Junis St. to the east(north to south is about 7 blocks, east to west is about 3 long blocks) there are roughly over(more or less) 13,000 Housing residents lumped into about 6 different developments.

Last edited by 009; 05-29-2008 at 05:23 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM

24 posts, read 89,688 times
There are fewer areas that I would consider true ghettos in NYC today than there were, say, 20 years ago. I'm only going to list what I feel are the worst of the worst.

The South Bronx has always had a reputation for for it's high crime, and this still holds true today. The neighborhood looks a bit better than it did during the days of mass arson and abandonment, but it is still the poorest congressional district in the country, which really says something. I grew up in Hunts Point, a mostly industrial South Bronx neighborhood that has the highest violent crime rate in the city, and it is probably one of the worst looking neighborhoods around. East Tremont is another Bronx neighborhood that is in bad shape. It experiences the same crime and poverty as the South Bronx does. As far as Brooklyn goes, East New York and Brownsville are byfar the worst neighborhoods there. Murder is very high and general living conditions are poor.

If you are not familiar with poor urban areas, I wouldn't recommend visiting any of those neighborhoods. Out-of-towners tend to stick out awkwardly and usually wander around staring at all the buildings. Random crime does still happen, and this can make you an easy target for a robbery, especially when you venture into empty streets. People also tend to be a bit rowdier in the summer time, so proceed with caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City