Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 07:35 AM

118 posts, read 48,522 times

Advertisements

I take the 6 everynight to the bronx, theres the occasional homeless or someone drugged up but nowhere to ever feeling unsafe like people talk about. NYers need to be alert and maintain themselves in groups but not feed into sensationalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 10:26 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,043,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I see those same type of people on the subway in the morning at 830am
You do realize that both statements can be objectively true at the same time? It is an undeniable fact that many if not most of NYC's homeless/mentally ill/drug addict population are Black and Hispanic. Numerous government agencies and charities have published official research statistics on this issue as well as politicians, journalists, and church leaders who have made public speeches about the issue.

At the same time, there are many Black and/or Hispanic people who are normal and hard working individuals. But to deny that there is a sizeable underclass who for various reasons have fallen through the cracks is to deny reality.

As a commuter, my immediate personal safety overrides that of the complex issues behind public policy failings. If I or another poster whose appearance differs substantially from the rest of the problem commuters then it behooves us to take steps to mitigate any risk. This is based on countless encounters with homeless/drug addicts/crazies over the decades. If you are East Asian or White on the subway or bus at night then you WILL be considered an easier target of opportunity than someone who blends in. The difference becomes even more stark if you are traveling into or through a neighborhood that is heavily Black or Hispanic on the subways such as anywhere north of 96th street on NYC subways on the east side into the Bronx or into East NY past Junction Blvd on the L train.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:51 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,296,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I was in Jackson Heights to see a relative at the Hospital and went to take a train after 10pm. I suddenly got mobbed by 2-3 people talking crap and looking mentally unstable. I bumped one of the guy away who is shorter than me but he could've had a knife. Another clown came up to me from behind and said some gibberish. A lot of bystanders looked on with alarm and fear in their eyes and I shoved another guy away from me who was rubbing my back like he wanted to strip my backpack away. I walked up the stairs and saw MTA workers standing upstairs cleaning but no cops ever came down. The place was well lit and had cameras. But these clowns started roaming up and down the platform harassing other people. These 2 women had to quickly run up next to me to avoid being harassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Because I workout and long time NYer I was alert and able to get them off me. They were about to hold me and grab my backpack and I was able to defend myself getting 1 guy off and the other guy was too slow to grab onto my other arm. The guy coming from behind was too slow to jump in. This is what happens if you're high and slow.

Good that you were able to tell by looking at them that they were mentally unstable and about to relieve you of your backpack. Not always easy to tell that they had violence in their hearts and had hidden knives.

You were so lucky that there were lots of really slow muggers on that train. Imagine if they had been mentally stable!

Do you also know this week's winning lottery numbers?

Old 03-10-2023, 08:51 AM

43,807 posts, read 44,579,763 times
Although this wasn't in Jackson Heights, it was along the 7 train route recently:
https://patch.com/new-york/queens/ro...mulet-man-nypd

Old 03-10-2023, 11:00 AM

3,359 posts, read 1,742,750 times
I am pretty alert which is why when this attack happened to me, I was able to break their timing. Had both guys got my arms the guy behind would grab my bag from behind. I was more afraid of getting stabbed with a weapon. They brushed off because they know it's gonna take work to get me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: