Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 05:14 PM

29 posts, read 8,993 times

Advertisements

An experiment I thought of for Target:

Separate the store into departments for where the product was made.
A made in China department
A made in India department
A made in USA department

And see where everyone chooses to shop.

I will see you all in the USA department!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They were discussing this on Fast Money today. One trader said he wouldn't touch that stock with a five foot pole. I had to laugh because some analyst that covers the stock claims it could run up to $160. Currently trading around $110. I don't see it and you couldn't pay me to buy it.

Yes... 90% of what is in the store is Made in China.... Kind of like the old Walmart back in the day... lol And yes, shrinkage or theft remains a big problem which they've mentioned on earnings calls...

I'd buy COST or even WMT before TGT.
I think Walmart is still going strong. But overall, these big department stores are all on their way out. I have been saying this for a few years, even Amazon has a shorter time.

Investors all assume since Amazon is so big and Amazon is so wealthy and seemingly unstoppable: my guess is Amazon will end in 3-9 years, and abruptly.

Something else will emerge, and or all of these stores will merge into one (if they are not already) but merge into one new giant identity, something more 1984ish than today.

But Amazon is not unstoppable, they will fall and my guess is when Amazon falls it will be rapid.

Old 10-25-2023, 06:42 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTrader369 View Post
An experiment I thought of for Target:

Separate the store into departments for where the product was made.
A made in China department
A made in India department
A made in USA department

And see where everyone chooses to shop.

I will see you all in the USA department!
Meh

Lets see which department is the cheapest, I bet thats where most ppl will go, because most ppl dont have a choice
Money is the deciding factor for 100% of life decisions

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-25-2023, 07:30 PM

Plenty of made in China products at Target are advertised as being derived from healthy materials, or nothing toxic at least. At my apartment I have made in China things purchased from Target, and I like them all. That is the thing about Target, they are careful about non toxic materials.

However, these are all common household items and everything and I mean almost everything, could be and should be manufactured here in the USA for the USA.

Practically everything can be made in the USA.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTrader369 View Post
Plenty of made in China products at Target are advertised as being derived from healthy materials, or nothing toxic at least. At my apartment I have made in China things purchased from Target, and I like them all. That is the thing about Target, they are careful about non toxic materials.

However, these are all common household items and everything and I mean almost everything, could be and should be manufactured here in the USA for the USA.

Practically everything can be made in the USA.
Not without pollution being a factor

Old 10-25-2023, 08:29 PM

I walked through the new Wegmans a day or two after their opening. I walked around for 1 minute and was like, big deal. And I left without buying anything.

How many more hyper-consumerism depots does Astor Place need? I guess for some people, instead of walking 3-4 blocks for groceries, they only have to walk 1-2 blocks now.

The best days in NYC are the ones when you manage to just stay home and not spend money. Especially when it’s all overpriced and unnecessary impulse items like at Wegmans.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:17 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
I remember an old gentlemen when I was a kid.
Shopped for bragains avoiding high priced items.

When I grew older heard he was a millionaire.

Put two and two together.

It not only takes making money to become
a millionaire but saving money as well.

I could almost bet if he were alive today
he wouldn't be shopping in this supermarket.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:28 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Wegmans is just a slightly cleaner, more organized, and friendlier supermarket. They're basically the Chic-Fila of the supermarkets.

I still don't understand what is the big deal with Chic-Fila. It's just a chicken sandwich fast food place. Why would anyone who lives in NYC cares about franchise fast food? So franchise supermarkets are big bore for me.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:44 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Wegmans is just a slightly cleaner, more organized, and friendlier supermarket. They're basically the Chic-Fila of the supermarkets.

I still don't understand what is the big deal with Chic-Fila. It's just a chicken sandwich fast food place. Why would anyone who lives in NYC cares about franchise fast food? So franchise supermarkets are big bore for me.
Because the alternatives at least in Manhattan and some other parts of city are dreadful to downright gross.

Growing up in SI where we had huge clean supermarkets and or going to New Jersey for same was shocked when started coming into city at what was on offer. Tiny places often dirty and with vermin filled with things priced far higher than elsewhere. There are reasons why those who live in Manhattan and can drive to NJ, LI, Conn or Westchester for grocery shopping do so.

Having known Wegmans from NJ will say again, no, they're not that special. But then again even Shoprite supermarkets in NJ are better than much of what passes for same stores in Manhattan.

Wegman's is just slightly different take on Whole Foods or other specialty supermarkets. These stores fill a niche and are more than welcomed in Manhattan and other part of city again because current stores often fall way below the mark.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Because the alternatives at least in Manhattan and some other parts of city are dreadful to downright gross.

Growing up in SI where we had huge clean supermarkets and or going to New Jersey for same was shocked when started coming into city at what was on offer. Tiny places often dirty and with vermin filled with things priced far higher than elsewhere. There are reasons why those who live in Manhattan and can drive to NJ, LI, Conn or Westchester for grocery shopping do so.

Having known Wegmans from NJ will say again, no, they're not that special. But then again even Shoprite supermarkets in NJ are better than much of what passes for same stores in Manhattan.

Wegman's is just slightly different take on Whole Foods or other specialty supermarkets. These stores fill a niche and are more than welcomed in Manhattan and other part of city again because current stores often fall way below the mark.
Honestly if I had to go grocery shopping in Manhattan, I would have to ask myself where did I go wrong in life. Just your humble MoD's opinion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City