Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 09:07 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Can you enter/exit from the subway station like you could with Kmart? Or did they get rid of that way?
saw no entry/exit from the subway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 09:36 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
saw no entry/exit from the subway
Long before K-Mart closed that entrance/exit was closed. Would imagine when Wegmans did remodel of space it was covered over or otherwise sealed. That being said as with so many things opening is still there, just hidden behind walling of some sort.

Countless office and other buildings in Manhattan have or had entrances/exits on a lower level straight from subway. This allowed workers, visitors or anyone else going to said building to avoid needed to go outside then enter or exit from street. An obvious boon during bad weather.

Metropolitan Life building at One Madison avenue has (or had) a subway level entrance/exit. Don't know if it's still open or has long since been shut and walled off. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...Madison_Avenue

Over years these below grade entrances/exits from subway became a security risk so places began closing them off. Other option was to station security guards inside doors (which is building property), but that becomes another cost.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:48 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
There's still access to Bloomingdales from the subway platform unless that's changed. It's been ages since I've shopped there. I used to go there daily when I worked around there.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:16 AM

5,682 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
There's still access to Bloomingdales from the subway platform unless that's changed. It's been ages since I've shopped there. I used to go there daily when I worked around there.
Same as an office building on 28th/Park

There are actually a few subway stops that go into building on the 4/5/6 line in Manhattan.

Old 11-08-2023, 12:20 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Same as an office building on 28th/Park

There are actually a few subway stops that go into building on the 4/5/6 line in Manhattan.
Really? I thought Bloomie's was the only one. Nice to know.

Old 11-09-2023, 11:58 AM

Stop in today. Yes the subway entrance is blocked off.

Very clean and spacious store.
Just one restroom for customers back through an employee door.

Not as much vegan selection as I thought. Yes in the frozen/packaged sections. But not in the bakery or prepared. May stop in again if in the area but I'm good sticking with trader Joe's and whole foods.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:38 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I was there today. The place is massive. Anyone has recommendations on whats good there? I had to rush home so I only purchased small items.
Their small plastic containers of smoked salmon are very good. Their Danish pastry is probably better than anywhere in the city.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:42 PM

56 posts, read 34,562 times
Wegman rocks! I'm so happy its in Manhattan now, I had a blast shopping there.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:39 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Stop in today. Yes the subway entrance is blocked off.

Very clean and spacious store.
Just one restroom for customers back through an employee door.

Not as much vegan selection as I thought. Yes in the frozen/packaged sections. But not in the bakery or prepared. May stop in again if in the area but I'm good sticking with trader Joe's and whole foods.
There are or were others, at least when store was K-Mart. Likely have been closed off to keep down riff-raff turning them into free accommodations.

Starbucks locations on Astor Place had no end of problems with homeless and druggie skells that infest area taking up residence in restrooms. People effing going in their and remaining for hours while they took huge dumps then proceeded to "bathe" and so on.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There are or were others, at least when store was K-Mart. Likely have been closed off to keep down riff-raff turning them into free accommodations.

Starbucks locations on Astor Place had no end of problems with homeless and druggie skells that infest area taking up residence in restrooms. People effing going in their and remaining for hours while they took huge dumps then proceeded to "bathe" and so on.
No there is not. And it's no longer Kmart and not even close to the same layout as Kmart was,
I posted that to help other forum members so they know what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City