Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 10:47 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times

Advertisements

at 770 Broadway at Astor Place, the former K-Mart site

Per PRESS RELEASE

Wegmans Announces Plan to Open Manhattan Store in 2023
Rochester, N.Y. and New York City – Wegmans Food Markets is bringing its unmatched customer service, restaurant foods, one-stop shopping, and consistent low prices to Manhattan with the announcement of its second NYC location, Wegmans and Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE: VNO) said today. The Manhattan Wegmans, scheduled to open in the second half of 2023, will be located at Vornado’s 770 Broadway, the former site of the Astor Place Kmart. Wegmans opened its first NYC store in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in October of 2019.
“We are so excited to bring Wegmans to Manhattan. This is something we’ve been dreaming about and working toward for a long time,” said Colleen Wegman, president and CEO of Wegmans Food Markets. “The community’s response to the opening of our Brooklyn store had an excitement and energy that you can only experience in New York City. You can feel that energy returning to the city, and we are thrilled to be a part of it.”
“We are delighted to be part of bringing the beloved Wegmans to Manhattan,” said Steven Roth, Vornado’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “Wegmans is one of a kind and will be a best-in-class addition to Manhattan, both for the local neighborhoods and as a destination for residents from across the island. We look forward to partnering with Wegmans’ talented team on the opening of this signature location.”
Under the terms of the 30-year lease, Wegmans will occupy space on both the street and lower levels of 770 Broadway for a total of roughly 82,000 square feet. The building is located in the heart of Greenwich Village, at the nexus of downtown residential, retail and office locations, and occupies a full city block between 8th and 9th Streets and Broadway and Fourth Avenue. A 1.2-million-square-foot landmarked building, 770 Broadway is the historic Wanamaker’s department store that Vornado transformed into one of Manhattan’s premier office and creative hubs catering to some of the world’s best-known technology and media leaders.
“Wegmans has been a reliable partner in our Brooklyn community since day one, from local hiring of NYCHA neighbors to feeding first responders at the height of the pandemic,” said Lenny Singletary, Chairman of Community Board 2 Brooklyn. “I’m confident Wegmans’ commitment to community will serve their new neighbors in Manhattan well and foster a positive experience.”

https://www.wegmans.com/news-media/p...store-in-2023/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 11:25 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
And?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...announces.html

Old 02-15-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
AND now we know officiially where its gonna be. simmer down

Old 02-15-2023, 11:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Astor Place will be well worth a subway ride for me every week. I can tie it in with Broadway Wines and Spirits.Delightful!

Thank you HUIH.

Old 02-15-2023, 05:46 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
AND now we know officiially where its gonna be. simmer down
Again, "and?"

It was known from the start Wegmans was taking the old KMart space on Astor Place.

https://gothamist.com/food/wegmans-o...kmart-location

https://evgrieve.com/2022/11/wegmans...tor-place.html

This was one of the reasons KMart departed so quickly. Balance of their lease was purchased by Wegmans and that was that.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again, "and?"

It was known from the start Wegmans was taking the old KMart space on Astor Place.

https://gothamist.com/food/wegmans-o...kmart-location

https://evgrieve.com/2022/11/wegmans...tor-place.html

This was one of the reasons KMart departed so quickly. Balance of their lease was purchased by Wegmans and that was that.
I was in the thread you linked. WE ALL KNEW, but now its going forth. It's not about what WE KNEW, its about WHATS HAPPENING. They coulda backed away from the deal. you'll probably be there gleefully with cart in tow

Old 02-15-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Astor Place will be well worth a subway ride for me every week. I can tie it in with Broadway Wines and Spirits.Delightful!

Thank you HUIH.
don't lug too much on the subway Kefir lol.. I'm going but I got a 2 bag limit

Old 02-16-2023, 05:59 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
As long as the residents buy food Wegmans should flourish.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:38 AM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times
Quote:
It's painful but the trick to not buying too much to carry is not to using a cart with wheels in the store. Use a basket on your arm, then no way can you buy anything too heavy to carry home because you're already carrying it in the store

Or put one of those carrying baskets in the rolling cart in the store and every once in a while during shopping pick it up out of the cart and make sure its not too heavy

Old 02-16-2023, 08:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
I got my handy dandy granny cart which can handle Wegmans groceries and TWO 1.75L of hootch from Broadway Liquors.
RW to the Q and a one block walk to my building's Second Avenue entrance: Easy, peasy.

How is the Wegman's renovation coming along? I don't get down to Union Square, or ANYWHERE, very often these days. Thank the gods for Mr. Wright.

Like the song says: "If I go, I'm goin' like Elsie."

I am/was a bodybuilder so I can lug a pretty hefty load.

If Wegman's turns out to be HALF the store that Shop Rite is, I am a happy camper.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-16-2023 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City