Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 04:56 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have told you your rights, and you can believe them. Common sense , and City law, tell you not to give this landlord another penny.

Fools yammering "You can move out" are landlords renting garbage pits, hoping never to be caught in their civic fraud and trying to perpetuate theft.

-------------------------------------------------

the the poster should not have rented the apartment in the first place, wouldn't having no windows be the first clue something wasn't right it isn't rocket science.
and the tenant was fine up until 2 years later......
no one was holding him at gunpoint to sign another lease.

legal or not, the tenant, of his own free will signed and agreed to pay rent in order to live in that space.

funny how it is always "after the fact" that people realize that their apartments are illegal,

and then people like YOU are the first ones to say, "stop paying", "live there for free"...etc etc etc.....

Last edited by nightcrawler; 02-22-2023 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
You have a right to put your hand on a hot stove, but why would you advocate for people to do so? Same logic applies here. Stop paying rent, report apartment and leave. Why advocate for people to continue living in a health hazard? That’s an incredibly foolish thing to do. No amount of free rent is worth someone’s health and safety even if it is their right to stay until they are evicted. Again, it reveals that you aren’t at all concerned with WHY these apartments are illegal, but rather with people exercising their rights to occupy a health hazard free of charge.

yup, that's what I am thinking as well.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I'm not a landlord but I have an issue with people being ok with a situation for quite a while then claiming it's an issue and trying to get something.
Do the correct thing, give 30 days notice and vacate.

yes, I feel the same way.
it is like all of a sudden after living there a while, NOW they are asking if it is legal.
the no windows at first sight should have of made a red flag go up, but obviously the no windows did not bother the poster because he signed the lease.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlouis2117 View Post
I didn’t know it was an illegal apartment at all until recently
I’ve looked into it because the landlord has been giving me problems and blaming me for things that I didn’t do and it’s been very stressful living here

well then why wouldn't you move? its only a rental?????
something is not right here

Old 02-22-2023, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 4,090 times
This is my first time moving into any place and paying rent how I was suppose to know and I’m not from nyc I don’t know I just needed somewhere to move asap I don’t know all the money in the world to move into any apartment

Old 02-22-2023, 05:26 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
the landlord does have nerve raising the illegal apartment's rent by $250. Didn't he/she think the tenant would cause trouble? Maybe the landlord doesn't think the tenant is that savvy and is taking advantage.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:55 PM

something is wrong here.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:02 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
How did you find the apartment?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-23-2023, 04:40 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

just stop paying rent ?
you will formally be absolved of any past-due rent by a judge ?
until you decide on your own to seek a habitable living space ?
After a few months of having you as his GUEST?
perhaps he can be persuaded to rent you an ACTUAL livable apartment, at a discounted long lease of course ?
Everything is negotiable ?

It is very sad that a Tenant should have more rights than the Property owner
since , it appears, judges have been siding with tenants over property owners in N.Y.C.
As a result, it also appears, owners keeping thousands of empty apartments.

We do not know the full story of the poster behind this post.

Is this an apartment or considered a loft? Is it even considered a bedroom?
Did the owner just rent a windowless room for storage and not as livable space.
Was it a mutual agreement by both parties ?
Assisting someone in desperate need?

Is it deception on the landlord's part?
Is the tenant truly that ignorant?

Why doesn't the tenant just leave? Simply put. Rent must be too good.

Old 02-23-2023, 05:47 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
The number of vacant apartments are right in line with where they have typically been .

There was a big spike to about 68000 from the normal 34-36,000 …but despite all the speculation here as to why it turned out It was all the empty apartments from Covid and people leaving .

That ended when work from homes started to cutback and we are back to normal vacancy.

But ny still sucks for being a landlord when dealing with tenants..but many developers and owners do have better opportunities here that don’t exist in many places if not almost all it it’s a professional play ground for the most lucrative deals

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-23-2023 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City