Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 06:14 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why do so many feel it is appropriate to blame the TENANT? It is the LANDLORD who is breaking the law by renting what I perceive is likely a Windowless CELLAR.

If the tenant just "moved out" as so many recommend, then this unscrupulous slumlord will just put the screws to another desperate patsy ad infinitum. "Just MOVE" is not easy in this City, especially to someone of limited means and landlords demanding incomes of 40X stratospheric rents.
Do any of you landlord-boosters consider that living in this hole is better than a worse option, living on the STREET? Nobody lives in an underground pit unless he HAS to.

This landlord needs to be taught a stinging lesson and who better to do it than DLoius by ceasing to pay rent, and eventually the City with a $5,000 fine and enhanced scrutiny going forward so this illegal dump never gets rented again without it being brought up to legal code....starting with a window in every room.
ignorance of what constitutes a legal apartment is on the tenant too.

just because someone does not know does not excuse them.

while i don’t condone apartments that are not legal , they do bring housing to some who otherwise can’t afford housing .

so like lots of things the under ground economy brings to people , cheaper housing then they may find in a legal apartment is possible but there can be safety issues here

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-24-2023 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 10:45 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlouis2117 View Post
I’m being completely honest and truthful sorry I’m not a genius I’m only 20 I moved out on my own I only have so much money and credit to get a perfect apartment I’m sure you guys are all in your 30-50s sorry I’m not that knowledgeable I’m not there yet

no, you are not a genius, sadly. Lets hope you have learned something by this experience.

at 20, I really think you should have of had the common sense to not rent an apartment with no windows.

Just move, and don't give yourself all this unwanted stress and aggravation. Forget KK, he always wants something for free.

whether the LL knew this was illegal really makes no difference, as the LL is not forcing anyone to live there.

****I live on the 4th floor of a walk up, I knew this 30 years ago, and am still walking up these stairs, that would be like me saying the LL needs to put in an elevator.****
He didn't force me to take this apartment, I did of my own free will.

now, next apartment you'll know from this experience. I can't believe that none of your friends / family wold have told you something wasn't right with no windows.

something is still "off" here.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Summary^^^^
Landlord commits crime...TENANT is responsible? This is through Lewis Carrol's Looking Glass.

NO responsibility devolves onto a tenant for a criminal landlord.

Analogy: a crook runs a Ponzi scheme...a poor ******* falls for it. Who is responsible?

Stop blaming the VICTIM instead of the VICTIMIZER.

Quote:
something is still "off" here.
Yes it is, your irrational thinking process.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:36 AM

yes tenant is just as much to blame …… not knowing the apartment isn’t legal when it is so obvious does put blame on the person renting it .

would you rent a car with no headlights on it or no mirrors anywhere or no insurance ?

want to bet the judge has those tickets stick ?

ignorance of what’s legal is never an excuse

Old 02-25-2023, 08:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
No...TENANT is not committing a CRIME, but the landlord IS.

There is a difference between a criminal and his victim and it is inconceivable to me that people here are IGNORING that simple fact.

How can you LIVE with your hypocrisy?

Old 02-25-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
No...TENANT is not committing a CRIME, but the landlord IS.

There is a difference between a criminal and his victim and it is inconceivable to me that people here are IGNORING that simple fact.

How can you LIVE with your hypocrisy?
the tenants right is to break any lease and leave … they should have known better ,end of story

by the way. , here is the law

“ If the tenant knew that the apartment was illegal, then in Queens and Kings Counties, the landlord or owner may be able to collect rent.”

it is simple enough to know

ILLEGAL APARTMENT
The apartment is an illegal apartment.”

When an apartment is illegal, the space should not be used to live in, a landlord or owner can’t collect rent. So, when you are being sued for failing to pay rent, it is a defense to the nonpayment case if you live in an illegal apartment.

If your apartment is like this, it may be an illegal apartment:
1. Basement Apartments: not all basement apartments are illegal. But, the most common of all illegal apartments are in the basement of a building.

2. The apartment has no inside plumbing, bathroom or cooking places or the bathroom or kitchen facilities are separated, like if the toilet and the shower/bath are in different rooms.

3. Apartments that don’t have windows (full size) and/or second exits may be illegal.

4. There are no separate electrical or gas meters for your apartment, like, if your apartment is on the same meter as the lobby of the building.

https://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/hous...lapartment.pdf

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-25-2023 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-25-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Summary^^^^
Landlord commits crime...TENANT is responsible? This is through Lewis Carrol's Looking Glass.

NO responsibility devolves onto a tenant for a criminal landlord.

Analogy: a crook runs a Ponzi scheme...a poor ******* falls for it. Who is responsible?

Stop blaming the VICTIM instead of the VICTIMIZER.

Yes it is, your irrational thinking process.

---------------------------------------

the tenant chose of his OWN free will to rent the apartment.

whether the tenant knew it was illegal or not means nothing.
with you, you feel now that the tenant should not pay rent, that is so typical of you.

the tenant should just move if he is feeling stressed or whatever.
the tenant has no right to live there rent free because the apartment is illegal.
it is still a space the tenant chose of his own free will to live in.

of course the LL should not have of put an add in the paper or wherever to rent this space.

but.....................the tenant chose to say yes to renting this space with no windows.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlouis2117 View Post
I have a basement apartment and there’s no windows anywhere in the place, no ventilation, unfinished construction but I do have a lease agreement is my place legal ? Thanks for anyone helping ! Also they’re raising the rent by 250$!!!! What can I do ? What rights do I have ? Thanks !

there, he said it.

he has a lease agreement.
so, whether it is legal or not, the tenant signed a lease for the space.

would it really be worth it to tell the authorities that the space is illegal or whatever?
the tenant is not going to gain anything but a headache, maybe get to live there a few mnth rent free (KK would love that)

and the tenant also admitted to not being a "genius" do you think he will be able to understand all the housing rules like (KK) seems to??

the non "genius" tenant is better off just moving to a legal apartment and move on with his life....

Old 02-25-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Every room must include at least one window.

You do not have to pay any rent for an illegal apartment, so just stop paying rent and ignore any eviction nonsense that doesn't involve housing court. You cannot get any back rent

If and when your landlord moves for a PROPER eviction, lay your story WITH PICTURES showing no windows and you will formally be absolved of any past-due rent by a judge.

But, in fact, your landlord will NEVER present his case to a judge because he faces fines, so all he will do is huff and puff until you decide on your own to seek a habitable living space.

After a few months of having you as his GUEST, perhaps he can be persuaded to rent you an ACTUAL livable apartment, at a discounted long lease of course.
Everything is negotiable.

**sigh** so typical of you to say that.
why is that????

Old 02-25-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
**sigh** so typical of you to say that.
why is that????
he is always in favor of cutting income to anyone in real estate even if legal . they should just provide housing at cost in his eyes evidently.

he wants his social security colas at market rates but no one else should get what they deserve to fret .

but of course his income shouldn’t be restricted or cut , only the other persons .

he is just anti landlord or those who profit off real estate ..although he wishes a deal would fall in his lap so he can get a windfall from his mitchell lama apartment

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-25-2023 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City