Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 09:34 AM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlouis2117 View Post
All the issues started after the second years of living here there hasn’t been a issue before then I’m just trying to see what I can do or what my rights are I’m not sure about these things thanks
It's NYC for heaven's sake! There must be a tenants' union you could contact for legal advice. But they might be surprised at the extreme nature of your question. Think about it, OP; you have no way to get out of a room in case of fire. You'd be trapped, if the fire were between you and the entry to the apartment. Common sense should tell you it's an illegal apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 09:42 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No...TENANT is not committing a CRIME, but the landlord IS.

There is a difference between a criminal and his victim and it is inconceivable to me that people here are IGNORING that simple fact.

How can you LIVE with your hypocrisy?

again, as usual your missing the point.
the tenant said yes to renting this space, the LL did not twist his arm.
and, at 20, I'm sorry, this tenant should have of known better that something wasn't right.
all you want is for the tenant to be able to live there for free for any amount of time,

while you bash the LL for advertising this apartment for rent.

of course the LL should not have of rented out this space, and maybe now, the LL will realize that he can't (after this tenant moves) advertise that he has an apartment for rent.

the tenant simply needs to put his thinking cap on and move, call it a day and chalk this up to a learning experience.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:22 AM

16,101 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Why do so many feel it is appropriate to blame the TENANT? It is the LANDLORD who is breaking the law by renting what I perceive is likely a Windowless CELLAR.

If the tenant just "moved out" as so many recommend, then this unscrupulous slumlord will just put the screws to another desperate patsy ad infinitum. "Just MOVE" is not easy in this City, especially to someone of limited means and landlords demanding incomes of 40X stratospheric rents.
Do any of you landlord-boosters consider that living in this hole is better than a worse option, living on the STREET? Nobody lives in an underground pit unless he HAS to.

This landlord needs to be taught a stinging lesson and who better to do it than DLoius by ceasing to pay rent, and eventually the City with a $5,000 fine and enhanced scrutiny going forward so this illegal dump never gets rented again without it being brought up to legal code....starting with a window in every room.

Would it be easier to give a person as you call "desperate patsy ad infinitum " a free pass?

Sorry ....too many of them......................to fill the courts and collapse the housing market.

nisi sapiens proficiet

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 02-27-2023 at 05:32 AM..

Old 03-01-2023, 08:40 AM

5,692 posts, read 2,618,869 times
Quote:
I’m being completely honest and truthful sorry I’m not a genius I’m only 20 I moved out on my own I only have so much money and credit to get a perfect apartment I’m sure you guys are all in your 30-50s sorry I’m not that knowledgeable I’m not there yet
Please I moved out on my own at 18. Before technology and Internet days. Anyone with a tad of common sense should know not to live somewhere without a window.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:59 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,302,271 times
If you feel that a space is a threat to your physical safety and that of your health, please find a place immediately. Also Kefir King gives the WORSE answers here. He must be a troll.

If you call DOB, and it is as bad as you say it is, they can come in and give an immediate vacate order (for hazardous living conditions). I bought a house 4 years ago that the exact scenario happened to the basement tenants. They ended up in a shelter as they could not afford anywhere else on such short notice.

Yes, the landlord will get fines. All they have to do is remove the existing bathroom/kitchen and bring DOB inspectors back to re-inspect the space to make sure no one else is living there.

But you would be immediately out of an apartment. So i suggest you use this time to find a more suitable place. P.S you can try to negotiate with your landlord for a time period to not pay rent and to move.

Landlords are EXTREMELY picky these days after the eviction moratorium. A tenant with an eviction history/no rental referrals and proof of timely rent payments gets their inquiry/application to the delete file.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I’m being completely honest and truthful sorry I’m not a genius I’m only 20 I moved out on my own I only have so much money and credit to get a perfect apartment I’m sure you guys are all in your 30-50s sorry I’m not that knowledgeable I’m not there yet

Can you afford another place? Explain to the landlord that you would like to move as you did not realize this was a non-legal apartment and are having a hard time living in a non ventilated place. Is the issue the rent increase or the safety of the apartment?

Is $250 cheaper rent worth living in a fire hazard?

Old 03-04-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Why do so many feel it is appropriate to blame the TENANT? It is the LANDLORD who is breaking the law by renting what I perceive is likely a Windowless CELLAR.

If the tenant just "moved out" as so many recommend, then this unscrupulous slumlord will just put the screws to another desperate patsy ad infinitum. "Just MOVE" is not easy in this City, especially to someone of limited means and landlords demanding incomes of 40X stratospheric rents.
Do any of you landlord-boosters consider that living in this hole is better than a worse option, living on the STREET?
Nobody lives in an underground pit unless he HAS to.

This landlord needs to be taught a stinging lesson and who better to do it than DLoius by ceasing to pay rent, and eventually the City with a $5,000 fine and enhanced scrutiny going forward so this illegal dump never gets rented again without it being brought up to legal code....starting with a window in every room.

So would you prefer the landlord house the OP for free?

Living with their family/friends is not an option? OP is an adult. If that was what their budget could afford and their only option was a prison cell (no window dungeon) they could find a higher paying job, an additional job, shared room mate space, move to a cheaper location. So many other options.

When this landlord has a bad experience with one tenant and decides that they never want to be a landlord again. So now there is one less legal/illegal apartment and tighter future requirements for ALL tenants. How does this help?

Old 03-04-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
he is always in favor of cutting income to anyone in real estate even if legal . they should just provide housing at cost in his eyes evidently.

he wants his social security colas at market rates but no one else should get what they deserve to fret .

but of course his income shouldn’t be restricted or cut , only the other persons .

he is just anti landlord or those who profit off real estate ..although he wishes a deal would fall in his lap so he can get a windfall from his mitchell lama apartment

He wants to profit from social/subisidized housing (that he inherited from a partner no less)?
But! expects people who worked hard to pay for market rate real estate, to give it for free?! You have to admire the grift! lol

Old 03-13-2023, 10:33 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
So would you prefer the landlord house the OP for free?
Of course, for as long as possible. It would seem to be an adequate punishment for the landlord's FRAUDULENT rental.
A prison sentence would also seem appropriate for this slumlord...in a windowless cell.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:21 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
Quote:
Of course, for as long as possible. It would seem to be an adequate punishment for the landlord's FRAUDULENT rental.
A prison sentence would also seem appropriate for this slumlord...in a windowless cell.

the tenant rented the "windowless cell" on his own free will

he wasn't held at gunpoint.
of course if the tenant had an ounce of sense he wouldn't be in this situation in the first place....

of course you want the tenant to live for free, that's so typical of youwhy is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City