Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 10:09 AM

7 posts, read 4,090 times

Advertisements

I have a basement apartment and there’s no windows anywhere in the place, no ventilation, unfinished construction but I do have a lease agreement is my place legal ? Thanks for anyone helping ! Also they’re raising the rent by 250$!!!! What can I do ? What rights do I have ? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 10:14 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
No windows,it aint legal!!! Certain cues, like a seperate meter are dead give aways.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Every room must include at least one window.

You do not have to pay any rent for an illegal apartment, so just stop paying rent and ignore any eviction nonsense that doesn't involve housing court. You cannot get any back rent

If and when your landlord moves for a PROPER eviction, lay your story WITH PICTURES showing no windows and you will formally be absolved of any past-due rent by a judge.

But, in fact, your landlord will NEVER present his case to a judge because he faces fines, so all he will do is huff and puff until you decide on your own to seek a habitable living space.

After a few months of having you as his GUEST, perhaps he can be persuaded to rent you an ACTUAL livable apartment, at a discounted long lease of course.
Everything is negotiable.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:44 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlouis2117 View Post
I have a basement apartment and there’s no windows anywhere in the place, no ventilation, unfinished construction but I do have a lease agreement is my place legal ? Thanks for anyone helping ! Also they’re raising the rent by 250$!!!! What can I do ? What rights do I have ? Thanks !

If this is not a legal dwelling, you have the right to leave.

If you are unhappy, do not sign a new lease. Leave.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:44 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
Can we get this thread closed? It’s a new user with a ridiculous situation. If the poster is for real, and you decided to rent a non ventilated basement, then you are reaping the benefits of your poor decisions for renting this apartment to begin with. Move out. Problem solved. Find a room with windows at least.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
If this is not a legal dwelling, you have the right to leave
You also have the right to stay for free, at least until the City orders you to leave and shuts down the hole.
Too bad you cannot get all the money back that you have paid to your SLUMLORD.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:50 AM

All the issues started after the second years of living here there hasn’t been a issue before then I’m just trying to see what I can do or what my rights are I’m not sure about these things thanks

Old 02-22-2023, 11:12 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
Move out. Non ventilated dwellings are a health and fire hazard. I find it hypocritical that Keifer King will be one of the first people to criticize SLUM lords for providing unsafe living conditions BUT also be the first person to tell someone to CONTINUE living in a health hazard just to get free rent out of it. It reveals that their issues with “slum lords” has nothing to do with health and everything to do with money.

OP, stop paying rent, look for a place to move to and MOVE OUT. Even if the landlord forgoes his rent increase, MOVE OUT. I can’t emphasize that enough, MOVE OUT. Leave. Don’t stay in a dangerous condition. Feel free to call 311 every day until DOB and the fire department show up to fine the owner. But move out. Period.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlouis2117 View Post
All the issues started after the second years of living here there hasn’t been a issue before then I’m just trying to see what I can do or what my rights are I’m not sure about these things thanks
I have told you your rights, and you can believe them. Common sense , and City law, tell you not to give this landlord another penny.

Fools yammering "You can move out" are landlords renting garbage pits, hoping never to be caught in their civic fraud and trying to perpetuate theft.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:31 AM

I signed a lease agreement to pay rent until
May can I stop paying rent since it’s an illegal apartment anyways ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City