Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 09:07 PM

96 posts, read 35,618 times

Advertisements

If it was my call I would redesign the incentives in a way that the homeless all elect to be sent to a rural farm area. All of the same free services they find in the urban core of NYC can be done just the same out in a rural area where they would not be exposed to the stressors and competitiveness of the city. Clearly almost none of the homeless here can compete at the level they need to. They need some serious repair especially psychological rest and peace away from the big city, and that can be accomplished better on a farm land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 10:17 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This hotel is rather new; it is right off East 61st exit from FDR Drive.

For decades it was a gas station, then property was sold for redevelopment and instead of residential they went with a hotel. Queensboro bridge is literally just a block or so away as well.

Back end of property is the animal hospital (facing East River and FDR), while East 62nd leads to southbound FDR entrance ramp.
It has always felt seedy over there when I'm in that area, and this was before this hotel.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:25 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It has always felt seedy over there when I'm in that area, and this was before this hotel.
Agreed, not a fan of that area. Ostensibly the homeless housing is for families and for a short time basis so it's reasonable. In general, I prefer that the City place homeless near the most liberal/progressive areas like UWS, Village, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Astoria/LIC etc.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:07 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
If it was my call I would redesign the incentives in a way that the homeless all elect to be sent to a rural farm area. All of the same free services they find in the urban core of NYC can be done just the same out in a rural area where they would not be exposed to the stressors and competitiveness of the city. Clearly almost none of the homeless here can compete at the level they need to. They need some serious repair especially psychological rest and peace away from the big city, and that can be accomplished better on a farm land.
There are tons of space in upstate Ny alone. Build facilities there and create jobs to house these people.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:14 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
There are tons of space in upstate Ny alone. Build facilities there and create jobs to house these people.
Create jobs? Like what kind of jobs?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-07-2023, 12:18 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
It's obvious that most homeless are drug addicted and mentally ill. Yet many retain a rat like animal cunning to survive on the streets. They congregate in Midtown and other heavy trafficked areas because they know that is where the best begging prospects lie. They also get free food, shelter, and drugs from naive liberals.

Why would bums go upstate when they can make money pretending to be crippled by holding a 7-11 or fast food door open and screaming at paying customers? Then wander 1/2 a block away to a weed store to get high on fentanyl laced pot? The answer is simple - they have zero interest in improving their lives and instead prefer living a scruffy existence. You or I would shudder at the thought of living in a cardboard box on the sidewalk and walking around in **** encrusted pants but for these people its heaven.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:05 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Agreed, not a fan of that area. Ostensibly the homeless housing is for families and for a short time basis so it's reasonable. In general, I prefer that the City place homeless near the most liberal/progressive areas like UWS, Village, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Astoria/LIC etc.
The rat problem over there doesn't help either. I've been walking over there in the middle of the day and had to dodge rats. There is a building on 62nd St near 1st Av that seems to have a notorious rat problem.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:39 PM

96 posts, read 35,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
It's obvious that most homeless are drug addicted and mentally ill. Yet many retain a rat like animal cunning to survive on the streets. They congregate in Midtown and other heavy trafficked areas because they know that is where the best begging prospects lie. They also get free food, shelter, and drugs from naive liberals.

Why would bums go upstate when they can make money pretending to be crippled by holding a 7-11 or fast food door open and screaming at paying customers? Then wander 1/2 a block away to a weed store to get high on fentanyl laced pot? The answer is simple - they have zero interest in improving their lives and instead prefer living a scruffy existence. You or I would shudder at the thought of living in a cardboard box on the sidewalk and walking around in **** encrusted pants but for these people its heaven.
My best guess is to lure them away with money and incentives. Offer them the same amount of benefits on the farm as they get here, but at the same time reducing all homeless services in NYC: put a stop on it all, then play the switcharoo card with an offer to move to the farm to keep freebies.

This has been swirling in my thoughts for a long time.

And try to imagine what it would be like being them on the street, dirty filthy, broken, alone, health problems, while watching everyone walking by so healthy and shielded from the harshness of the big city. What they experience is super harsh especially psychologically when a fast moving city is pounding on their conscience daily.

Most homeless are in too deep of trouble to ever make it here.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:56 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Homeless people only exist to keep the rest of the population scared into getting/keeping jobs

Homelessness actually stifles entrepreneurship

How many times have you heard, I gotta get a job otherwise I’ll be homeless as opposed to I gotta start this business otherwise I’ll be homeless

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-07-2023, 03:21 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post

You would think Fentanyl would wipe out this problem, but either they are very good at scoring good drugs or Fentanyl is not that big of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City