Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 08:19 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,264,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's why I can't take it serious, gaslighting. A relatively new phenomenon to describe simply when one feels insecurity to what they hear. Its the new way of projecting their own fears among others. Check all of your posts out. For someone who "appears" to be doing quite well, you still have not changed your own situation. Why is that? If you notice, most people do not come on here to complain. Since when did complaining become cool?
I don't complain. I point out reality. You see it as complaining because the truth makes you uncomfortable. My guess is it hits a little too close to home.

Once again, you make blatantly false assertions. Gaslighting isn't a new phenomenon or term. It was coined ( in it's popular form) in the 60s.

Furthermore, I'm very content with my situation. Another false assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 08:23 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,407,837 times
Quote:
Makes sense that homeless shelters are in cities and not in the suburbs of cities, or rural areas.
How does it make sense to give taxpayer-provided free housing to certain people in the most expensive areas of the most expensive cities?

Having said that, I see this hotel is right next to the exit from a big loud air-polluting traffic artery, where there are hospital buildings, and not actually anything residentially upscale, if I remember correctly. Also, it looks as though this will be a "family" shelter (ie, homeless women with small kids), and that population tends to be less rowdy and violent than individual homeless people.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Create jobs? Like what kind of jobs?
Agricultural. Farm work is not a rocket science, and keeps people out in fresh air, far from drug scene.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:34 PM

34,106 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
How does it make sense to give taxpayer-provided free housing to certain people in the most expensive areas of the most expensive cities?

Having said that, I see this hotel is right next to the exit from a big loud air-polluting traffic artery, where there are hospital buildings, and not actually anything residentially upscale, if I remember correctly. Also, it looks as though this will be a "family" shelter (ie, homeless women with small kids), and that population tends to be less rowdy and violent than individual homeless people.
So you would rather put the homeless shelters in areas with the least amount of resources?

It makes sense to put them in the areas with the most resources. Face it, you like capitalism too when it benefits you, no shame in that

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-12-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Agricultural. Farm work is not a rocket science, and keeps people out in fresh air, far from drug scene.
Even better idea, show them how to run a farm and teach ownership

Give a man a fish he'll eat for the day, you know the rest

Old 04-12-2023, 08:38 PM

96 posts, read 35,881 times
Quote:

That is my argument as well, as I posted previously in this topic.

A lot or homeless people are not well suited for this heavy urban and highly competitive environment: many of them have their near-roots out in farming areas.

You have got to be kidding. Compare living in a slimey and dirty hard concrete/steel street life in Port Authority on the hard streets while being dope sick with no money, to living in a more natural setting with simple housing next to a busy farm, they can be farm hands and feel productive, and see rich sunsets and see the stars and be closer to freshly grown foods. The difference is night and day as far as psychological healing goes.

And if drugs were the issue, they will find drugs in any town in America. They will find anything in prisons. Anywhere. Drugs are everywhere. You can’t say that drugs and easy panhandling is the source reason that keeps them here. The whole freebie system in NYC keeps them here, and that freebie system can be modified quickly.

Some people do not fit well in this big city environment. And even though NYC is not the hugest city in the world, it’s probably the most intimidating competition and environments as well.

Imagine having zero to offer this city while panhandling on 42nd street and looking up at the Chrysler Building and other magnificent structures that all symbolize a global excellence, while you sit on your ass on 42nd with mental illness. Business people walking buy in their fresh suits with their masters degrees and going into work at a big shot firm. They are everywhere but the homeless are just filthy and broken and mentally ill. And not improving by being here.

Some people legitimately cannot be lifted up in NYC.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
So you would rather put the homeless shelters in areas with the least amount of resources?

It makes sense to put them in the areas with the most resources. Face it, you like capitalism too when it benefits you, no shame in that
What resources? What special resources do the homeless use in NYC other than street drugs? If you mean psychiatric care, that can be provided outside NYC equally or better than in NYC.

Yes, I like cultural resources that a large city offers (like an excellent library, or historic architecture), and I like transportation resources because I travel a lot. But I worked, earned, and paid to be near such resources (for which the homeless people don't particularly care). I did not live anywhere near a big cosmopolitan city with wide cultural resources before I earned enough to be able to afford living there.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Even better idea, show them how to run a farm and teach ownership

Give a man a fish he'll eat for the day, you know the rest
Sure. If a formerly homeless person is capable of running a farm, he/she should definitely go for it! But I am not sure how you "teach ownership". You can teach facts or procedures; it is up to the person being thought what they will do with that. I have never heard of anyone running/owning a farm nowadays if they do not themselves do farm work, or have done it in the past.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
That is my argument as well, as I posted previously in this topic.

A lot or homeless people are not well suited for this heavy urban and highly competitive environment: many of them have their near-roots out in farming areas.

You have got to be kidding. Compare living in a slimey and dirty hard concrete/steel street life in Port Authority on the hard streets while being dope sick with no money, to living in a more natural setting with simple housing next to a busy farm, they can be farm hands and feel productive, and see rich sunsets and see the stars and be closer to freshly grown foods. The difference is night and day as far as psychological healing goes.

And if drugs were the issue, they will find drugs in any town in America. They will find anything in prisons. Anywhere. Drugs are everywhere. You can’t say that drugs and easy panhandling is the source reason that keeps them here. The whole freebie system in NYC keeps them here, and that freebie system can be modified quickly.

Some people do not fit well in this big city environment. And even though NYC is not the hugest city in the world, it’s probably the most intimidating competition and environments as well.

Imagine having zero to offer this city while panhandling on 42nd street and looking up at the Chrysler Building and other magnificent structures that all symbolize a global excellence, while you sit on your ass on 42nd with mental illness. Business people walking buy in their fresh suits with their masters degrees and going into work at a big shot firm. They are everywhere but the homeless are just filthy and broken and mentally ill. And not improving by being here.

Some people legitimately cannot be lifted up in NYC.
Psychiatric institutions (including rehabs) used to have farm work as occupational therapy - maybe they still do somewhere. Precisely because that is a type of work that does not require formal education, but is very useful, and it must be really gratifying and contributory to the healthy sense of self if the person is able to grow something by their own efforts.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
What resources? What special resources do the homeless use in NYC other than street drugs? If you mean psychiatric care, that can be provided outside NYC equally or better than in NYC.

Yes, I like cultural resources that a large city offers (like an excellent library, or historic architecture), and I like transportation resources because I travel a lot. But I worked, earned, and paid to be near such resources (for which the homeless people don't particularly care). I did not live anywhere near a big cosmopolitan city with wide cultural resources before I earned enough to be able to afford living there.
Let me ask you a question, do you believe in capitalism?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City