Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM

200 posts, read 576,759 times

Advertisements

This is still the best city job out there. You come in, do your job, make a lot of money with benefits and go home. The only thing that's getting bad is the personnel. The men and women that are living for the moment by running and dumping and finished by 9:30am on a 6-2 shift is the reason why we are going to go below head count. No need to hire more if we do more work with less people. Trucks have been getting cut in certain districts and routes are longer but people are accepting it and still getting finished and dumped by 9:30am. Harry Nespoli was at Q12 the other day talking to everyone from Q12, Q10 and Q8 about the book (Dignity And Respect) and some knucklehead started complaining about the steps being taken off the trucks (of course it was a runner). It was so funny when Harry ripped him apart for wanting to ride the step to rush through the day and said "maybe you shouldn't be in by 9:30am".

Protect your self and protect your job.
Its an 8 hour day.

Last edited by 20yearman; 11-03-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 03:47 PM

389 posts, read 774,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
Harry Nespoli was at Q12 the other day talking to everyone from Q12, Q10 and Q8 about the book (Dignity And Respect) and some knucklehead started complaining about the steps being taken off the trucks (of course it was a runner). It was so funny when Harry ripped him apart for wanting to ride the step to rush through the day and said "maybe you shouldn't be in by 9:30am".
I was standing directly behind this guy - he looked like he got uncomfortable really fast. Also complained about the routes getting longer. Every Q8 guy applauded.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM

246 posts, read 593,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
This is still the best city job out there. You come in, do your job, make a lot of money with benefits and go home. The only thing that's getting bad is the personnel. The men and women that are living for the moment by running and dumping and finished by 9:30am on a 6-2 shift is the reason why we are going to go below head count. No need to hire more if we do more work with less people. Trucks have been getting cut in certain districts and routes are longer but people are accepting it and still getting finished and dumped by 9:30am. Harry Nespoli was at Q12 the other day talking to everyone from Q12, Q10 and Q8 about the book (Dignity And Respect) and some knucklehead started complaining about the steps being taken off the trucks (of course it was a runner). It was so funny when Harry ripped him apart for wanting to ride the step to rush through the day and said "maybe you shouldn't be in by 9:30am".

Protect your self and protect your job.
Its an 8 hour day.
I don't dump (Never have never will) and I dont run up my route im out there all day but I miss the steps on the back of the trucks .To me it's more wear and tear climbing in and out of the truck.The funny thing was they took all the steps off all our trucks accept the shop stewards trucks.Well someone took a sledge hammer and made sure those steps were off by the end of the week .Boy were they pissed LOL.I just think there were better things they could have done to improve the job then take the steps off .I think something like that should have been voted on.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM

360 posts, read 735,870 times
So if the idea is too go below head count the purpose of a new list 2 years ago was...?????

Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac39 View Post
So if the idea is too go below head count the purpose of a new list 2 years ago was...?????
According to NYC Civil Service law they have to give the exam every 4 years whether or not they plan to hire. There are a lot of lists that haven't hired in a longer period then the 6063 list.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 AM

360 posts, read 735,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
According to NYC Civil Service law they have to give the exam every 4 years whether or not they plan to hire. There are a lot of lists that haven't hired in a longer period then the 6063 list.
ahh thanks van... i dident know.... so is it possible ... i know i asked the question few weeks ago... If this isent the only list not hiring ... will many included 6063 be extended..? back in early 80,s when the unemployment was even higher i remember reading back a few threads guys literally in the 10,000's where being called because of a freeze... The department and the City not hiring is that stateing that all of these lists are in fact in a "Freeze"... Or only when bloomberg states theres a freeze is it a true freeze...?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Well, we will find out sometime next year. Nobody can give you a definite yes or no answer to your question. The next DSNY exam is "tentavily" scheduled for spring of 2011.

Common sense would dictate that the list be extended if just 2 classes come out from the 6063 list. But this is DCAS that we are dealing with, a city agency which does things for no rhyme or reason.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
I heard its true, about DOT taking over the highways. I asked my shop steward, and he confirmed it. I havent heard anything read at roll call about this, but we are hoping to keep our highways in manhattan.
Also, the dept, figures about 100 men/women out sick/Lodi, Emergency, every day. The job is still getting done without them. From what I hear, the dept. is going to start cracking down on those that go emergency, and lodi frequently.
A co worker of mine has been out lodi for over three months, and the clinic has told him his papers were going to be sent down for review(termination). He now has a lawyer, and is fighting this.
Ive got ten years to go, and I just hope to have a decent pension when I leave. The job has changed DRASTICALLY since I came on in 99. Charts?? we used to get them almost weekely, now, your lucky if you make two charts a year. Its still a great job, but change is coming, lets keep staying out, work safe, and remember its still an 8 hour job.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:49 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Does anyone know DSNY's human resources phone number?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 PM

121 posts, read 249,833 times
100 people out sick/lodi/emergency etc on a daily basis? Does that include supervisors that are also subject to clinic rules? Lets say there are about 6400 san workers right now and about 1000 supervisors. Thats 7400, making that daily figure about 1.5 percent of the total out on any given day. While it is not a small amount,the numbers are what they are. The overwhelming majority of san workers are showing up for work every day. People get sick, get hurt, have unforeseen events that occur in their lives that prevent them from making it in to work. Lets say half that 100 is faking being sick, or injured, or having a real emergency, and I think its alot less than that, you would still have less than 1 percent being targeted by that. I think any efforts made by the SSLU should be to help san workers that are sick or injured get well. Not simply looking to write complaints because san worker john doe forgot to have the the i's dotted and the t's crossed on form number 123456 subsection 654321. Fat chance of this happening anytime soon, but thats what I think. Guess the main thing we need to fight for is keeping unlimited sick. I'll put up with the clinics rules to ensure a full paycheck if I get hurt or sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City