Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 12:48 PM

231 posts, read 466,061 times

Advertisements

[quote=vantastic10;15135552]He is 68 yrs old now and by the time he leaves office he will be 70 going on 71. If he ran for president he would have the same results as Giuliani. Outside of NYC most people don't know or even care who Bloomberg is.

Sure he has enough money and influence to become mayor of NYC 3 different times,but as President of the USA,nah....never has and never will be a Jewish president.[/quote

Big difference between Giuliani and Bloomberg as far as notoriety. People just knew Giuliani as the mayor of NY during 9/11. Bloomberg is a well respected businessman who revolutionized the trading industry with his technology. Lots of people know his name. So a lot of people know who he is. I dont think he will win, but he would fair much better. I just don't think the rest of the country would want a New Yorker to win. Never been a black president either and that changed, so i dont think him being jewish would stop his election. I think the being from NY would hurt him the most. Those midwest states already think the government favors NY and California, it would be tough for them to elect someone from either of those states.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Also the fact that just because he is Jewish doesn't mean that all Jewish people would vote for him. They mainly vote democratic. Less then 3% of the population of the United States is Jewish. Sure he might be a well known businessman but he is also hated by a lot of people just because he is so wealthy.

Lets face it, he only became mayor by default, he really didn't have any strong candidates running against him,and people are reluctant to vote for somebody unknown who doesn't have a track record.

Obama got elected because the majority had enough of the Bush republican years.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:56 PM

26 posts, read 76,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
No credits for being in the reserves.
They had to have served on active duty for other than training purposes in time of war.

+5 for vets,(+2.5 on promo exams)+10 for disabled vets,(+5 for promo exams). If they were discharged honorably they are eligible for the credits.

YOU get vet. credits if you a vet.(min. 180days active duty service). If you are curently a reservist but you did at least 180 day active duty or you where activated for the 180days then your eligiable.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
I know Epyon is more plugged in than I am, but I have to disagree. Maybe just wishful thinking, but it has been confirmed that they posted sign up sheets for trainors at FBF. Also, NYPD and FDNY are having classes if I'm not mistaken, which is a good sign. Let's just hope some of us start to get letters in the mail...
Apathy has set in amongst some from the 6063 list. Good for you Kochise that you still have your head in the game. I am sure there are a lot like you who are dying to get on no matter what. The important thing is your mental situation.

Is it a good idea to go for a medical to your own doctor first before going to the DSNY clinic at Leave it to Beaver St? that way you can contest something if they put you on "medical hold." What says you?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM

121 posts, read 249,833 times
Just some friendly advice about the hiring process. If and when you are called to report to the clinic or personnel for ANYTHING,make sure you gather all your documents way ahead of time;if asked for the last six months phone bills, get the last 12 months worth together(just as an example). Make photo copies of all these documents and get into the habit of HAND DELIVERING them as requested. If that is impossible,make sure you get a name it must be addressed to and send it certified mail with return receipt. I would even get the same documents notarized as a backup. I personally know sanworkers that had a better list number than I did,but somehow their high school diploma or phone bill got lost in the shuffle, and they missed a couple classes and had to wait half a year past when they shouldve been hired. DSNY is a large agency and its not too difficult for you and your paperwork to get lost in the shuffle. And make certain that you are EARLY for all appointments. If there is one thing that new recruits learn is that DSNY has ZERO tolerance for lateness especially for probationary employees. FBF sets the example since it is the training center. In the districts out in the field it is usually not as strict, but DO NOT test the waters until AFTER you complete your probation successfully. Personally, I try to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start of my shift. That way I have time to double check the board for any possible changes(partner going sick,eto,routes getting cut,etc),check for any special orders(snow alerts,OT during holiday weeks,chart cancellations,etc),get into uniform,have some coffee and so on. Do this while youre on probation and you should be able to "fly below the radar" and keep out of trouble.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post
Just some friendly advice about the hiring process. If and when you are called to report to the clinic or personnel for ANYTHING,make sure you gather all your documents way ahead of time;if asked for the last six months phone bills, get the last 12 months worth together(just as an example). Make photo copies of all these documents and get into the habit of HAND DELIVERING them as requested. If that is impossible,make sure you get a name it must be addressed to and send it certified mail with return receipt. I would even get the same documents notarized as a backup. I personally know sanworkers that had a better list number than I did,but somehow their high school diploma or phone bill got lost in the shuffle, and they missed a couple classes and had to wait half a year past when they shouldve been hired. DSNY is a large agency and its not too difficult for you and your paperwork to get lost in the shuffle. And make certain that you are EARLY for all appointments. If there is one thing that new recruits learn is that DSNY has ZERO tolerance for lateness especially for probationary employees. FBF sets the example since it is the training center. In the districts out in the field it is usually not as strict, but DO NOT test the waters until AFTER you complete your probation successfully. Personally, I try to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start of my shift. That way I have time to double check the board for any possible changes(partner going sick,eto,routes getting cut,etc),check for any special orders(snow alerts,OT during holiday weeks,chart cancellations,etc),get into uniform,have some coffee and so on. Do this while youre on probation and you should be able to "fly below the radar" and keep out of trouble.
Good stuff GTDriver, and you forgot to add to never ever fall asleep in class especially when a higher up within the dept is speaking, FBF training class runs form 0600-1400hrs..6am-2pm.

They say that if you are falling asleep to get up and stand in the back of the classroom. It can get very boring sitting for several hours inside a classroom but like what happened during the last class in 08 somebody sitting in the very first row fell asleep and was snoring loudly while a very higher up was speaking,he was furious and had to leave the room. I wonder if that probie made it through his 18 months or not,but you can be sure he was a marked man.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM

231 posts, read 466,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post
That is good advice. Another advantage to getting there early everyday on probation is if for some reason you do over sleep one day or there is an accident and you get delayed and are a little late, they will generally help you out or change your shift to a later one if your a good worker that is always early and never gives a problem. You don't wanna chance anything on probation. You don't want to even give them an option in extending you.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM

116 posts, read 239,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJU2000 View Post
That is good advice. Another advantage to getting there early everyday on probation is if for some reason you do over sleep one day or there is an accident and you get delayed and are a little late, they will generally help you out or change your shift to a later one if your a good worker that is always early and never gives a problem. You don't wanna chance anything on probation. You don't want to even give them an option in extending you.
I remember reading awhile back that quite a few people from the 08 class had their probation extended. What are some reasons your probation would be extended besides lateness? Accidents?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitinginBklyn View Post
I remember reading awhile back that quite a few people from the 08 class had their probation extended. What are some reasons your probation would be extended besides lateness? Accidents?
Well the most obvious one would be coming up dirty on a drug/alcohol test while on the job. Going LODI would look bad on your record right?

I recall an incident a couple of years ago where a probie killed a pedestrian while driving the truck in Brooklyn,don't know the outcome of that accident.

Garbage Truck Kills Brooklyn Man - FDNY News by theBravest.com (http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYNewsArchive/08/1008/24a.htm - broken link)

Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 PM

57 posts, read 158,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Well the most obvious one would be coming up dirty on a drug/alcohol test while on the job. Going LODI would look bad on your record right?

I recall an incident a couple of years ago where a probie killed a pedestrian while driving the truck in Brooklyn,don't know the outcome of that accident.

Garbage Truck Kills Brooklyn Man - FDNY News by theBravest.com (http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYNewsArchive/08/1008/24a.htm - broken link)
omg what a horrible experience that must have been. I feel for those poor guys, imagine just getting on the job & something like that happens? visibly traumatized? I would imagine so. What ever happened with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City