Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times

Advertisements

A great answer that deserved a reputation point or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
"Where will the bronx be in a couple of years?"

North of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,983 times
ontheroad, sorry to write here for an unrelated matter, but I notice I can't send you a private message. Did you choose not to receive them? I'm curious why you don't like messages. Thanks for the info (you do can send me one, though, if you don't want to answer here).

Old 03-26-2007, 10:01 AM

I can add you as a buddy. I turned them off several weeks ago because people were sending me PMs asking for info that could easily have been asked and answered on a thread. I answered; sometimes after much thought and care and never received a thank you or how-do! I felt it was a nuisance.

You can try again to send me a PM--I've added you to my buddy list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
ontheroad, sorry to write here for an unrelated matter, but I notice I can't send you a private message. Did you choose not to receive them? I'm curious why you don't like messages. Thanks for the info (you do can send me one, though, if you don't want to answer here).

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
I would challenge anyone to show where white people have been moving into a neighborhood in the Bronx where it isn't already a white neighborhood (besides the handful of yuppies in Port Morris).

I really don't buy the argument that Parkchester is becoming gentrified. Is it a little bit nicer than it was a decade ago? Certainly, but the composition of the residents are still largely lower class to middle class black and hispanics. There are certainly some white people living there, but they are just the hold out original residents of the building. Along the same lines I think you can still find some old Jewish ladies living in Co-op city even though the vast majority of the population there is now black, whereas when it was built it was nearly 100% white and majority Jewish.

Also Arthur Ave doesn't really have many if any Italian people left living there. It is mainly recent Albanian immigrants who run the stores and restaurants for the tourists.

Morris Park is the real Bronx little Italy, Belmont has been majority Hispanic since probably the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Check out this map: http://histmaps.research.cuny.edu/pub/maps/map3.aspx?g=1&animation=true (broken link) . Click on the race tab for white and go back a couple of decades and notice how the white population has shrunk dramatically in the Bronx. This has occurred throughout just about all of NYC (Manhattan and Staten Island being the only real exceptions) as a result of a massive inflow of 3rd world immigrants, but it has happened to the largest degree in the Bronx.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,459 times
Does a neighborhood have to be white to be a good place to live? I've been reading old threads and Mead you sound totally obsessed.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I would challenge anyone to show where white people have been moving into a neighborhood in the Bronx where it isn't already a white neighborhood (besides the handful of yuppies in Port Morris).

I really don't buy the argument that Parkchester is becoming gentrified. Is it a little bit nicer than it was a decade ago? Certainly, but the composition of the residents are still largely lower class to middle class black and hispanics. There are certainly some white people living there, but they are just the hold out original residents of the building. Along the same lines I think you can still find some old Jewish ladies living in Co-op city even though the vast majority of the population there is now black, whereas when it was built it was nearly 100% white and majority Jewish.

Also Arthur Ave doesn't really have many if any Italian people left living there. It is mainly recent Albanian immigrants who run the stores and restaurants for the tourists.

Morris Park is the real Bronx little Italy, Belmont has been majority Hispanic since probably the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Check out this map: http://histmaps.research.cuny.edu/pub/maps/map3.aspx?g=1&animation=true (broken link) . Click on the race tab for white and go back a couple of decades and notice how the white population has shrunk dramatically in the Bronx. This has occurred throughout just about all of NYC (Manhattan and Staten Island being the only real exceptions) as a result of a massive inflow of 3rd world immigrants, but it has happened to the largest degree in the Bronx.
You made a lot of good points, but what is to say that a new wave of white people won't come into the Bronx now? It has happened in other parts of the city, why would it not happen in the Bronx.

Parkchester is changing. I have a sister who lives over there, the rents are going up and there are and a lot of Asian people coming in, and a sprinkling of white people. A lot of the people coming in are predominately middle class. Gentrification isn't just about white people moving into a neighborhood. It can be any group. It just means that the people coming in are wealthier than those traditionally in the neighborhood, which in turn forces people out who can't afford the rents as they go up.

Albanian Little Italy is very nice. Quite a few shops and businesses are still run by Italians but yeah the neighborhood isn't really an Italian neighborhood. I haven't been to the Morris Park one. Will have to pay a visit.

I'm not in a rush for gentrification to happen, trust me. But I'm realistic also, if it has happened elsewhere, why not the Bronx. I like the neighborhood where I'm at right now, and I especially like the rent.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm so glad you said this because I was thinking it and failed to mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Does a neighborhood have to be white to be a good place to live?

Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Let's hope so.
Yes.

Muggers have to live, too. Yuppies welcome!

Good hunting, fellas.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Does a neighborhood have to be white to be a good place to live? I've been reading old threads and Mead you sound totally obsessed.
No, of course not. It has no correlation with color. There is a post hoc, propter hoc relationship between the two which, to the simple minded, seems like one of cause and effect.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:51 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,983 times
Yogi,

You are so totally right. We were talking about the future of The Bronx in general, but Mead immediately veered the topic toward his favorite only-whites-are-good preoccupation.

Indeed, a neighborhood need not be white to be good. It's a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City