Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

Versus 1st Quarter 2008 homicides are down 23% ( 116 vs 89), and below the 118 murders in 1962, the first year records were kept. That means thus far we are at a 47 year record low for homicides...wow. The overall crime rate is also down 13% from this time last year, which is also the record low crime rate since 1962. Something to keep in mind when you hear the usual naysaying and negative posters complaining about "rampant crime" and "crime has nowhere to go but up" and "NYC is going into the toilet", etc. This is good news. Will it last..who knows...but right now...NYC, despite the budget cutbacks and fewer officers is still decreasing crime..and as someone who is a longtime resident in Woodstock (North Mott Haven area), my personal experiences support these trends....the city is getting safer. New York City homicides drop 23%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:52 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
So I guess we're just too poor... to kill? Yea, I guess that makes sense. Kinda.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 PM

Hehe...you can never be too poor/rich to kill. I would say we are too lazy!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM

And my precinct (40th in Mott Haven) is reflective of the drop in crime as well. There has been about a 15% drop versus this time last year, and there were 3 murders by this time last year, with NONE so far this year. WOW! Who knows whether this will continue through the rest of the year, nonetheless it is a far better sign than if crime were already rising and above last year. I am glad to see it..and some of the credit should go to the police force and their PROACTIVE strategies, but really most of it I believe is community/grass roots organization stepping up and becoming more active...NYers have had enough of the crime, are coming together, working with police, and making huge gains. Nice work.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM

19 posts, read 94,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And my precinct (40th in Mott Haven) is reflective of the drop in crime as well. There has been about a 15% drop versus this time last year, and there were 3 murders by this time last year, with NONE so far this year. WOW! Who knows whether this will continue through the rest of the year, nonetheless it is a far better sign than if crime were already rising and above last year. I am glad to see it..and some of the credit should go to the police force and their PROACTIVE strategies, but really most of it I believe is community/grass roots organization stepping up and becoming more active...NYers have had enough of the crime, are coming together, working with police, and making huge gains. Nice work.
Hey SobroGuy, in absolutely no way am I trying to bash the Police. But if you look at recent events where the exexcutive ranks have been getting in trouble in the news. Its all been for "fudging the number." If you see a situation, that happens to be a major crime, murder,rap,robbery,assault,burglary,grand larceny, and grand larceny of a auto. if you ever get a chance to speak to a victim you can ask her if they felt like they were being discouraged from making a report, they will most likely tell you yes. And the new commanding officer Mod cut: libel issuesis no different. I joined this form to reply to your comment.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-02-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 AM

567 posts, read 1,446,458 times
exactly Hopster. don't even waste your time trying to explain that to Sobroguy though. in his mind, nyc can do no wrong.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Hopster I agree with that...I do the same thing at my job. Someone calls me for something and I do my best to persuade them out of it. It is human nature to be LAZY..it is easier for the cops, they don't have to fudge numbers, and life goes on. The same situation happend to me in Orlando when I tried to report a crime about 10 years ago...the cop tried his best to persuade me and tried to convince me it was my fault...he was rude, angry, and surly to say the least. After it was clear that I wasn't leaving until I filed the report, he finally became respectful and kind, and helped me fill out the paperwork. It happens EVERYWHERE, and it not unique to NYC. Nevertheless, the murder rate is not something you can "fudge"...a murder is a murder...and the bodies are counted. So it is as accurate a statistic as we will probably ever have..and the rate is significantly lower than this time last year...and that is a good thing. Will it last? Who knows...but we should still be pleased with the continuing decreasing trend.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

actually Sobroguy, you can fudge murders.

Union Leaders Allege Fudging Of Statistics On City Crime - The New York Times.
that link talks about fudging stats and it states that fudging murders are harder to pull off. which, to me, means they aren't impossible to do.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM

"Mr. Browne pointed out that under the previous commander, grand larceny, one of the easiest crimes to misreport, had increased while murder and auto theft, two of the most difficult to fudge, had gone down."

notice how it doesn't say fudging murders are impossible, rather just harder to do? face it Sobroguy! the nypd are fudging stats you just don't want to admit it. i can find many news articles dating all the way back to 1991 about how the nypd is lying.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 PM

I dont doubt that police fudge stats...but this happens across the board in every city...so its moot. Furthermore, my assertion was that the murder is the MOST accurate..not that it is 100% accurate. It is easier to fudge every other stat, but the murder rate is the most reliable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City