Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times

Advertisements

I was born in St. Vincent's Hospital in the West Village. I grew up on Christopher St. down from McNulty's. We also lived for a time on Bedford Street and then we moved to Chelsea on West 21st between 7th and 8th Ave. when I was 14. I went to St. Joseph's Elmentary (now a nursing school) down the street from the Stonewall. I went to St. Michael's Academy on 33rd St. an all Girl's Catholic HS.

My Dad was a longshoreman. He used to take me on the ships as a little kid. He also took me to the Old Madison Square Garden to see boxing matches. We also used to go ice skating at the old garden too.

My neighorhood growing up was very diverse. My best friends were the Super's daughter who was from Puerto Rico, a girl across the street who was Greek, and a black girl from South Carolina. We all went to each others homes and experienced the different cultures of each other. The parents of the Greek girl were also deaf and used to sign. My friend knew how to sign to them and taught me a little bit. The NC girl's Mom was a HS teacher and would take us to the library and recommend books for us to read. That was great since we both were book worms. When I was a teenager, I went all around the city with my friends.

My first job was on Beaver Street. I can remember watching them build the WTC when it was a great big hole in the ground. I got my own apartment on Sullivan Street and worked and went to college at night at NYU. That is where I met my husband.

After we married, we bought our first house in Queens (where he is from) in Middle Village. A few years after Rachael was born, we moved to Smithtown, LI, and raised the kids there for 20 years. My older daughter also still lives on LI in Lindenhurst. My husband was out of work and got a job in Florida. That is why we moved.

I SO MISS NY and want to go "home".

Last edited by TANaples; 01-30-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
  • I was born in St. Vincent's Hospital in the West Village.
  • We also lived for a time on Bedford Street.
  • I can remember watching them build the WTC when it was a great big hole in the ground.
  • Me too.
  • Me too.
  • Me too.
Quote:
My Dad was a longshoreman.
My Uncle who lived next door to us on Bedford Street was a longshoreman. Were there a lot of them living in the West Village back then?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,690 times
I was born in Bronx Lebanon Hospital on Grand Concourse. I spent my first 15 years living on Morrison avenue in soundview by the 6 train. I moved from the bronx in 1992 to Coney Island Brooklyn. I lived in Brooklyn from 1992 until 2004 and then I relocated to Virginia. Deep inside my heart, I regret moving out of the 5 boroughs. I miss having everything at my convenience and although I lived in an area that had its share of crime, It was not a bad area. I miss everything about NY from the nightlife to getting a decent bagel with a coffee light and sweet or a butter roll.
It's a good thing that I still have family up in the Bronx that I can go see whenever I need my NY fix.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Probably so

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
  • Me too.
  • Me too.
  • Me too.
My Uncle who lived next door to us on Bedford Street was a longshoreman. Were there a lot of them living in the West Village back then?
My Grandpa was a longshoreman also. The West Village was very convenient, nice, and back then, not very expensive. My Dad worked Pier 42. I hear they might be making it a park now? Better than let it deteroriate and fall into the river.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,720 times
Bronxite-born and raised

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,406 times
Born in Morrisania hospital in the Bronx in 74, raised on Southern Blvd and Jennings, right next to the infamous Charlotte street; and currently still reside in the Bx.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 AM

28 posts, read 100,436 times
I was born in Brooklyn, NY as was my father, my mother and all of my grandparents. We moved to Park Avenue in Manhattan soon after for the next 7 years and bought a house in Greenwich, CT where we were raised. I moved back to Brooklyn about 12 years ago and then back to Greenwich, CT 7 years ago where I'm living now. Love living in Connecticut. I work in Manhattan and the commute is quick and easy.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Born in The Women's Hospital (division of St. Lukes) in upper Manhattan. Taken home to Flatbush on Martense St. in 1963 in the days when it was Jewish and Irish and Flatbush Avenue was considered great shopping (also remember Discount City as the place my Mom did all her shopping - leaving us in prams outside while she did that!). Went to Holy Cross until 4th grade when the neighborhood started to take a dive and white flight began. Ended up out in LI which I hated (so quiet!!!). Stayed there for 8 years and then took off to live in Europe/UK/Australia. Made my way back and lived in Astoria for a few years followed by Brooklyn Heights and then lower Manhattan. Priced out of NY, so am now in NJ, looking longingly across the Hudson. One of these days, I will live at "home" again in NY!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 12,567 times
i was born in metropolitan hospital in new york, ny...lived on 95 old broadway in harlem till about 7 or 8 then moved to East new york in brooklyn lived there till 18 then i moved to Fl on my own for about 2 years...got married..got pregnant...then moved back to brooklyn...midwood section..ocean ave and ave i....now i live in the city on 5th ave and 107th...

Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
I was born in the Bronx @ North Central Hospital. Lived on Webster Ave til about 5 then moved to the Lower East Side til about 10 years ago. Living in Crown Heights for the past 10 years (lived in Midwood for a year).. now heading to Brownsville....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City