Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times

Advertisements

Who the hell likes the whole month being between 98-104 everyday here in Charlotte this year. You couldn't even go outside why? because it was too friggin Hot and humid. With the bodies of water drying up here can you say Jet ski's and boats for sale here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM

79 posts, read 258,670 times
I moved to the South almost a year ago. I could not wait to leave NYS and head South. Now, I can't wait to come back home to New York. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
especialy not in NC and most of the south anymore. haha..its all brown. I'm pretty sure I read in the Raleigh News&Observer the other day that Raleigh has about 100 days worth of water left, and only a major hurricane or 6 months of excessivly rainy weather could bring them out of the extreme drought. And that if the situation hasn't improved by spring; they are going to start water RATIONING instead of just the restrictions they have now. Lets see.....having do deal with snow durring winter that is usually plowed within a few hours.....or having no water......

Old 11-14-2007, 05:43 PM

79 posts, read 258,670 times
In Georgia it's even worse. The lakes are almost dry and we have not had rain for 3 weeks! The prediction by the governor and Army Corp of Engineers in 280 days or less of water left in North Georgia.

After I'm back in NY, I'll never complain about snow or taxes again.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Who the hell likes the whole month being between 98-104 everyday here in Charlotte this year. You couldn't even go outside why? because it was too friggin Hot and humid. With the bodies of water drying up here can you say Jet ski's and boats for sale here.
And you'll be sitting on the backyard deck enjoying drinks during the 5 months of freeze-your-ass-off-never-ending-grey-sky winter?

Everyplace has it's pros and cons. That's for sure. Weather wise it sounds like SoCal has the best overall weather. But then you have to tolerate earthquakes, fires, and unaffordable house prices. Like I said, pros and cons.

Affordable Nirvana simply doesn't exist. Not to mention the definition of Nirvana differs wildly for everyone.

Last edited by gastric; 11-15-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,752 times
I'd move back to NY in a minute - I haven't venutred into looking for a job there because i'm not 100% sure I want to come back to the 'winter's that never end'. My feet haven't seen fleece boots in 9 years. Gosh that's a long time.

I'm homesick for NY but I'm unsure if I can afford to return. Charlotte has it's pro's and con's however the cons are growing by the minute, traffic being the worse.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Buffalo isn't really that expensive....most of WNY, actually pretty much all of it, is more affordable than the larger NC metros. Taxes are higher and that's it. It can be harder to find a higher paying job, I'll give you that; but the cost of living is the same if not lower.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,752 times
Charlotte isn't cheap like people make it out to be. There's state tax and personal property tax which they gouge you on. All and all the market isn't great here and things have changed so much in the past few years.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM

oh trust me I know....I just moved back to Rochester after 12 long years in the Raleigh area myself. NC is a nice place....but it is overrated and is changing VERY fast, not for the better in my opinion. I'm glad to be back in NY. You could get a 3-4 bedroom new 2k sq ft. house in Apex 5 years ago for $170k.....now, you won't find anthing close to that that isn't approaching the $300k price mark. Not to mention your kids will be changing schools every 3 years.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
And you'll be sitting on the backyard deck enjoying drinks during the 5 months of freeze-your-ass-off-never-ending-grey-sky winter?

Everyplace has it's pros and cons. That's for sure. Weather wise it sounds like SoCal has the best overall weather. But then you have to tolerate earthquakes, fires, and unaffordable house prices. Like I said, pros and cons.

Affordable Nirvana simply doesn't exist. Not to mention the definition of Nirvana differs wildly for everyone.
Your right I've lived all over the place. It's where you are in you lifeat the moment. I've search for the utopia and it isn't out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York