Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 14,729 times

Advertisements

The Blue Mountain area just 4 miles northwest of Saugerties is a beautiful area with mountain views, streams and plenty of natural beauty. Grant D. Morse is a very good elementary school, our three sons received a very good education there. The only reason we are leavng the Saugerties area is to be close to our oldest son, his wife and our grandchildren in Austin, Tx. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM

76 posts, read 174,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful57 View Post
The Blue Mountain area just 4 miles northwest of Saugerties is a beautiful area with mountain views, streams and plenty of natural beauty. Grant D. Morse is a very good elementary school, our three sons received a very good education there. The only reason we are leavng the Saugerties area is to be close to our oldest son, his wife and our grandchildren in Austin, Tx. I hope this helps.
Love this area. Been hiking to the various peaks in area and valley where homes are is stunning.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM

10 posts, read 24,847 times
I would say your best bet would be New Paltz. Although the taxes are somewhat high, you will find it less expensive than Dutchess County. Plenty of nature, easy access to the city via Metro North in Poughkeepsie. The village has a college town feel. As you move further north away from the village towards Rosendale prices are less expensive. I would stay in the New Paltz School district however.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,635 times
Do any of you know anything about these places: Stoneridge, Woodstock, New Paltz and the little towns in those areas?[/quote]

I live in Woodstock and I must say it is so wonderful. I also live in Manhattan. Rather live in Woodstock. It all depends on where in Woodstock you live. Where I live is tucked away in the forest but yet minutes away from the real life, grocery stores, restaurants, shopping, and there are great schools. Onterora and more. My neighbors are not stuffed under me, they are a lil ways tucked in the forest. There are only four of them and we are on a private street. Yet, there are houses that have neighbors to the right and to the left of you as well as across the street from you. I don't like that. But if you do, you can find some nice houses. There are lots of stuff for kids to do. You would have to mingle with the parents of the schools to get to know this. Woodstock has everything but you just need to know where every things is. Kingston is nearby, Rhinebeck is 30 minutes away and and so is New Paltz along with a lot of other lil towns. Stone Ridge is also beautiful with some historic houses. Again, you have to know the area to find the right house you are seeking. I would suggest seeking out a realtor to show you around. They know all the lil hide-away places that are neat and great for families with children. I love it here in Woodstock. Hope you consider taking a look !

p.s. New Paltz, great town. Again, gotta go in all the little nooks and craniers to see the best places to live.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 PM

97 posts, read 146,690 times
I live in New Paltz and love it. My wife and I grew up in Westchester. I grew up in Chappaqua and if you gave me a choice to live in New Paltz or Chappaqua I would choose New Paltz. The schools are great in New Paltz. (I could be considered biased since I work for the district, but I would not put my children in any of the schools in the area.) I would agree Chappaqua schools are "stellar," but there is no diversity. You are either rich or very rich.
Woodstock is in the Onteora School district which has gone down hill in recent years. I work for Onteora for 12 years and it can’t compare to New Paltz in any area except they have a wonderful music program. The current school board is in the process of dismantling this program so I have nothing positive to say about the Onteora school district except it pays it teachers really well and on par with many Westchester districts.
Stone ridge, like Woodstock, is a great place to have a weekend home. The Rondout Valley schools are mediocre at best, and I would not recommend them.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 AM

30 posts, read 123,805 times
What about Hudson? Is it nice?
These homes and apartments I was looking at look so great online, but the windows are on the 1st floor, and I just Hudson is also very shady?
I'm looking for somewhere young and upscale. Any suggestions appreciated!
I've seen Catskill Village online, that seems to look cute.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 8,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslp View Post
I live in New Paltz and love it. My wife and I grew up in Westchester. I grew up in Chappaqua and if you gave me a choice to live in New Paltz or Chappaqua I would choose New Paltz. The schools are great in New Paltz. (I could be considered biased since I work for the district, but I would not put my children in any of the schools in the area.) I would agree Chappaqua schools are "stellar," but there is no diversity. You are either rich or very rich.
Woodstock is in the Onteora School district which has gone down hill in recent years. I work for Onteora for 12 years and it can’t compare to New Paltz in any area except they have a wonderful music program. The current school board is in the process of dismantling this program so I have nothing positive to say about the Onteora school district except it pays it teachers really well and on par with many Westchester districts.
Stone ridge, like Woodstock, is a great place to have a weekend home. The Rondout Valley schools are mediocre at best, and I would not recommend them.
When you say you "would not put [your] children in any of the schools in the area" are you including New Paltz or do you mean any of the *other* schools in the area? I think you meant the latter based on your other positive comments about New Paltz schools but just wanted to make sure!

Thanks

Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 AM

97 posts, read 146,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerGrass76 View Post
When you say you "would not put [your] children in any of the schools in the area" are you including New Paltz or do you mean any of the *other* schools in the area? I think you meant the latter based on your other positive comments about New Paltz schools but just wanted to make sure!

Thanks
I am sorry for not being clear with my post. I would highly recommend the New Paltz Schools. Both of my daughters attend the New Paltz Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York