Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times

Advertisements

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-by-County.jpg

This map is really nice to show just where German heritage is. I agree the lines are blurred around the Mid Atlantic, but the Northeast/Midwest and the South/Midwest borders are strikingly accurate! You can even see that southern Indiana has less German heritage than the neighboring states which makes sense since historically it's more conservative and traditionally southern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo is still Northeastern and what makes this tough is that Cleveland and Northeastern Ohio has aspects that are viewed as being more "Northeastern" in terms of who settled the area, the good sized Jewish population and other ethnic groups, etc. So, would Cleveland and NE Ohio be viewed as Northeastern?

Also, Great Lakes and Midwest aren't synonymous, as they cross well into 2 regions. You can get from Syracuse to Lake Ontario in less than an hour and there are places in between the Adirondacks and the lake that are minutes from both.

It is the same with the economies of various Northeastern areas running the gamut, as some could say that Philadelphia and select New England metros are/were more industrial.

There is a thread in the General US forum that asks the question about Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Erie being "Midwestern".
Call it what you want, but there's no way Western NY is Northeastern. Maybe "Great Lakes Region" is better way to describe it. The Northeast is a really densely populated region along the coast, once you go further inland it's completely different

Old 01-23-2016, 08:45 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Call it what you want, but there's no way Western NY is Northeastern. Maybe "Great Lakes Region" is better way to describe it. The Northeast is a really densely populated region along the coast, once you go further inland it's completely different
Interior Northeast is a way to differentiate between the coastal Northeast/the Bos-Wash corridor and other parts of the region further inland. Those cities have a similar built environment, but also have more space and rural land.

I wouldn't call it Midwestern either.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Buffalo is still Northeastern and what makes this tough is that Cleveland and Northeastern Ohio has aspects that are viewed as being more "Northeastern" in terms of who settled the area, the good sized Jewish population and other ethnic groups, etc. So, would Cleveland and NE Ohio be viewed as Northeastern?

Also, Great Lakes and Midwest aren't synonymous, as they cross well into 2 regions. You can get from Syracuse to Lake Ontario in less than an hour and there are places in between the Adirondacks and the lake that are minutes from both.

It is the same with the economies of various Northeastern areas running the gamut, as some could say that Philadelphia and select New England metros are/were more industrial.

There is a thread in the General US forum that asks the question about Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Erie being "Midwestern".
Buffalo has nothing to do with NYC, Boston, NJ, etc. It's closer to Ohio than it is major East Coast population centers. It isn't Northeastern.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Interior Northeast is a way to differentiate between the coastal Northeast/the Bos-Wash corridor and other parts of the region further inland. Those cities have a similar built environment, but also have more space and rural land.

I wouldn't call it Midwestern either.
But again in economy, function, size they have more in common with other MidWestern cities as opposed to East Coast cities from Washington to Boston.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:51 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Do Western New Yorkers believe they're in the Midwest. No. They certainly don't identify much with Albany (eastern New York) and especially not with NYC. They do tend to identify more with cities like Cleveland and Detroit, and there are a lot of similiarities among these cities. However, Buffalo isn't like other Midwestern cities like Columbus or Indianapolis or Des Moines.

I think it's accurate to say that Buffalo and Western New York are part of the Great Lakes region. The cities that ring the Great Lakes share a largely common historical legacy of being former centers of heavy industry, significant immigration from Eastern and Southern Europe, and, more recently, of being part of the Rust Belt as American industry modernized and shed jobs.
This is spot on. Most upstate residents - actually NO upstate residents - think of themselves as "Midwestern". They mostly self identify as being from "upstate NY", as opposed to the Capitol Region or the NYC burbs.

I've lived in NYC, MA, Long Island, PA, and Vestal NY, when my husband was in grad school. I currently live in NE Ohio.

There is a definite kinship between The Great Lakes region. Last summer my kids went to Cedar Point several times, and met many people while waiting in line, who were from Buffalo, Rochester and Utica.

Regions blur at a certain point. There is no clear line of demarcation between regions in the US - or anywhere.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is a definite kinship between The Great Lakes region. Last summer my kids went to Cedar Point several times, and met many people while waiting in line, who were from Buffalo, Rochester and Utica.
You mean waiting on line?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedBit View Post
Western New York is not part of the Midwest or the Great Lakes Region. Western New York is part of the Northeast. Even Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh is technically the Northeast.
Yeh but Western PA and Pitt are culturally more midwest than western NY.

Western NY does not have much in ways to get to the Midwest. Western NY, and Western PA actually dont have any major highways connecting them. I think of Western NY are back country Northeast or rural New England.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ghost View Post
it shares way more with the midwest than it ever has with the east coast even though it sits on the east coast

if you really think Buffalo is more like BROOKLYN than CLEVELAND you need a mental screening...
I would not say it is like Cleveland either. Instead I say it is like Hartford, or even Albany.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:20 AM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But again in economy, function, size they have more in common with other MidWestern cities as opposed to East Coast cities from Washington to Boston.
If anything they have things in common with Great Lakes cities that are in the Midwest, but they still aren't Midwestern, as there are aspects that are similar to other Northeastern cities/areas and you can find things that crossover between regions. This has been discussed as nauseum in that General US thread I mentioned earlier in this thread. East Coast and Northeastern aren't synonymous. Neither is Great Lakes and Midwestern. Ethnicity aspects can be picked at, as could character of cities/areas.

You just as easily argue that Cleveland and NE Ohio has some Northeastern aspects to it as well by using who settled the area, some ethnic similarities and its relative built environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York