Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:24 AM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yeh but Western PA and Pitt are culturally more midwest than western NY.

Western NY does not have much in ways to get to the Midwest. Western NY, and Western PA actually dont have any major highways connecting them. I think of Western NY are back country Northeast or rural New England.
I believe that I-79 to I-90 connects Pittsburgh to Erie and Erie to Buffalo.

Like I said, it is a part of the Interior Northeast due to what I mentioned earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-by-County.jpg

This map is really nice to show just where German heritage is. I agree the lines are blurred around the Mid Atlantic, but the Northeast/Midwest and the South/Midwest borders are strikingly accurate! You can even see that southern Indiana has less German heritage than the neighboring states which makes sense since historically it's more conservative and traditionally southern
The Northeast/Midwest border is what IS NOT defined by ethnicity in that map, because otherwise Pennsylvania and Maryland would be in the Midwest. Except for Philly. That would be in the South just like Baltimore (just by ethnic makeup).

...or it could be that Germans are everywhere, really.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 01-24-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

...or it could be that Germans are everywhere, really.
Not everywhere. They're not one of the larger ethnic groups in the NYC metro area (a german sounding last name is more likely to of Yiddish origin). Nor in New England. Of course there is some German population.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not everywhere. They're not one of the larger ethnic groups in the NYC metro area (a german sounding last name is more likely to of Yiddish origin). Nor in New England. Of course there is some German population.
Yes but if you notice that Germans extend to the West significantly and are basically the de facto Mid-Atlantic ethnicity, you realize how much singling them out as the defining of Midwest ignores all the other areas they also dominate. I am also aware you didn't claim German = Midwest necessarily. Well, Great Lakes doesn't necessarily = Midwest, either.

It does seem that quintessentially Northeast states aren't heavily German, however. This fits into my narrative of the Great Lakes being a region unto itself and not exactly Northeast or Midwest.

Those claiming that WNY is like the Midwest don't realize how different the Great Lakes is to the rest of the Midwest.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:44 AM

64 posts, read 73,727 times
I'm from NYC, and upstate New York is upstate New York. Bills, chicken wings, snow, Canadian migrants, etc. Buffalo, NY isn't the midwest in my opinion

Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
When did horseball green become the best color?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 AM

86 posts, read 206,604 times
I think part of the reason is that soda is "pop" in western NY.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:17 PM

35 posts, read 54,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I've heard that A LOT in my life. I live in the geographic Midwest region, but some NYC people and those closer to the Bos-Wash corridor have this idea that somehow Western New York is more Midwestern than it is Northeast or even New York.

Where the hell did this idea come from? Do Western New Yorkers actually believe this? If so, why?

Western NY is most certainly NOT the Midwest-not even close. Buffalo is more like Brooklyn, NY on a smaller scale. Buffalo is really a wanna-be NYC...with it being in NY State, it looks towards its big brother (NYC) as a role model and a city it aspires to be.

The NY Yankees are THE baseball team in Buffalo...the NY Jets would be the NFL team of choice if it weren't for the Bills...

Old 03-31-2016, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 10,577 times
Buffalo is absolutely NOTHING like NYC ... it is more suburban and sprawling, like midwestern cities.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:00 PM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidroller View Post
Buffalo is absolutely NOTHING like NYC ... it is more suburban and sprawling, like midwestern cities.
I wouldn't say it is more suburban and sprawling either. Some Midwestern cities can have a more suburban and sprawling look, but many, if not most do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York