Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:00 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

Advertisements

I've heard that A LOT in my life. I live in the geographic Midwest region, but some NYC people and those closer to the Bos-Wash corridor have this idea that somehow Western New York is more Midwestern than it is Northeast or even New York.

Where the hell did this idea come from? Do Western New Yorkers actually believe this? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
No.....

Old 01-09-2016, 06:27 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Do Western New Yorkers believe they're in the Midwest. No. They certainly don't identify much with Albany (eastern New York) and especially not with NYC. They do tend to identify more with cities like Cleveland and Detroit, and there are a lot of similiarities among these cities. However, Buffalo isn't like other Midwestern cities like Columbus or Indianapolis or Des Moines.

I think it's accurate to say that Buffalo and Western New York are part of the Great Lakes region. The cities that ring the Great Lakes share a largely common historical legacy of being former centers of heavy industry, significant immigration from Eastern and Southern Europe, and, more recently, of being part of the Rust Belt as American industry modernized and shed jobs.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:17 PM

660 posts, read 658,373 times
Western New York is not part of the Midwest or the Great Lakes Region. Western New York is part of the Northeast. Even Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh is technically the Northeast.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:39 PM

88 posts, read 166,244 times
it shares way more with the midwest than it ever has with the east coast even though it sits on the east coast

if you really think Buffalo is more like BROOKLYN than CLEVELAND you need a mental screening...

Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ghost View Post
it shares way more with the midwest than it ever has with the east coast even though it sits on the east coast

if you really think Buffalo is more like BROOKLYN than CLEVELAND you need a mental screening...
Exactly. I'm originally from the Cleveland area, and Buffalo is only 3 hrs away. It is basically another rust belt city, and the people seem like Midwesterners to me (that's a compliment btw).

Old 01-09-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedBit View Post
Western New York is not part of the Midwest or the Great Lakes Region. Western New York is part of the Northeast. Even Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh is technically the Northeast.
^This.....Like I've mentioned before, it is Interior Northeastern.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:01 PM

88 posts, read 166,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Exactly. I'm originally from the Cleveland area, and Buffalo is only 3 hrs away. It is basically another rust belt city, and the people seem like Midwesterners to me (that's a compliment btw).
exactly, dont listen to the trolls

Old 01-09-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
While I know what you are saying, Rust Belt cities can and are in multiple regions.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:41 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedBit View Post
It's located in the Northeast but it shares relatively little with areas typically considered "the Northeast". I'm a WNY native who lived in Albany for 10 years. The orientation of the two areas is very different. One
attempts to ape Boston and NYC while the other recognizes its kinship with Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee. The only reason that Buffalo gets compared to NYC at all is because the two cities are in the same state.

The same goes for Western PA and Pittsburgh, although with the nickname "Pennsyltucky", the area is more like Appalachia than the Midwest -- and certainly the Northeast. What you've got is two states, NY and PA, that spread across two different regions. They're like Kentucky and Tennessee where the eastern parts of those states are mountainous, poor, and historically Scots-Irish and much more like West Virginia, western Virginia, and western NC than they are the rest of the South, which lives with a much greater legacy from its plantation and slave-economy past. The central and westenr parts of Kentucky and Tennessee have a totally different history, ethnic/racial make-up, and considerably more prosperity from the eastern parts of those states. They are much more like "the South" that people think of than the eastern parts of those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York