Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 11:24 AM

426 posts, read 162,162 times

Advertisements

Ithaca did have some compelling classical music culture IIRC, but I haven’t looked much into it as I figure it’s smaller than Buffalo, Rochester, etc and might not meet all of my needs. I could be wrong, though.

I like the Greek names, BTW! Is there a reason for that? Just curious.

As for your second post… well, if they live in NY they might feel more at ease because their rights are protected. There is absolutely no room for such ease in Oklahoma or other red (or even purple) states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 11:31 AM

165 posts, read 104,217 times
Ithaca is AMAZING but housing is pricey.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:49 AM

93,888 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
Ithaca did have some compelling classical music culture IIRC, but I haven’t looked much into it as I figure it’s smaller than Buffalo, Rochester, etc and might not meet all of my needs. I could be wrong, though.

I like the Greek names, BTW! Is there a reason for that? Just curious.

As for your second post… well, if they live in NY they might feel more at ease because their rights are protected. There is absolutely no room for such ease in Oklahoma or other red (or even purple) states.
This is due to the New York State Land office going back to when they were forming towns out of the Military Tract. This explains the origins of the classical names a bit better: York Staters: What's in a Name No.2: The Origins of Classical Place Names in Upstate New York

As for Ithaca, while smaller, it would be a good fit in terms of feel and parts of the town of Ithaca, as well as the town of Lansing where they meet north/NE of the city of Ithaca is really the only truly suburban portion of the area. I'm thinking of the area that includes Cayuga Heights(village) and Northeast Ithaca(cdp) in the town of Ithaca next to the village of Lansing portion of the town of Lansing. The latter has the area mall and some big box shopping. Basically this area on each side of Route 13: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4811...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Old 07-06-2022, 12:10 PM

961 posts, read 2,510,122 times
Default ..One more effort here..

As for your second post… well, if they live in NY they might feel more at ease because their rights are protected. There is absolutely no room for such ease in Oklahoma or other red (or even purple) states.[/quote]

To say much more on this will get the thread shut...so I will say this in the nicest way: Folks didn't have a good time at that barbecue.."because the rights of these gays are more protected in NY". They had a good time because any private opinions of this lifestyle were kept out of conversation..and on the host's part..no multi colored flags flying..no petitions to sign..no over the top/in your face displays of same sex affection. On both sides..just showing respect for your neighbors. ....what a concept....

Old 07-06-2022, 04:59 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,974,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
^ already explained:

Since it wasn't mentioned I thought I would ask why. As I said I am not familiar with the area.

"Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse" appear to get more snow. Maybe prefer a little further south too. I can take some snow but...

I am looking at Albany.
You think Albany doesn't get snow?? I got news for you, as someone who's lived in the Albany area for 48 years....

Old 07-06-2022, 06:02 PM

426 posts, read 162,162 times
I think the idea was that they get less snow, even if it's still a ton.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:25 PM

5,764 posts, read 4,142,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I think the idea was that they get less snow, even if it's still a ton.
The amount of snow can vary within a region. I believe official snowfall is
measured at the airports, which could be miles away from your house.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:29 AM

Historically on average, Albany does have a lower snowfall total than Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. It does get hit harder from Nor’easters, but doesn’t get the amount of Lake Effect snow from the Great Lakes like those three other cities/areas do. However, with at least the Buffalo and Syracuse areas, the snowfall varies, with portions directly along the snow bands south of Buffalo directly east/SE of Lake Erie and north of Syracuse directly east/SE of Lake Ontario getting the highest totals. Of course the mountains and higher elevations like Tug Hill east of Lake Ontario, the highlands/hills south of Syracuse and Rochester, etc. get more as well.

Here is some information that illustrates this: https://nyskiblog.com/directory/weat...-snowfall-map/

Old 07-07-2022, 06:30 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,739,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
You are paranoid. No disrespect.
Despite what you see or hear, there won’t be any walking back on gay marriage, abortion or whatever.
It’s just not gonna happen. They may tighten the reigns on abortion regulations but stop believing the fear mongering cry babies. Abortion ain’t going nowhere. It would be political suicide.
Also, the tide is changing in NY. It may not be solidly blue in the near future. And btw, that is mostly due to NYC metro area population which outnumbers the rest of the state. I’ll believe it when it happens but the predictions are that NY will experience a flip from blue to red, possibly even at the Governor level. It won’t be the big red wave here but political pundits are claiming there will be many blue upsets come November.
^ "I'll take replies that didn't age well for $400, please, Alex!"

For what it's worth no matter how conservative Upstate NY outside of the immediate city propers being discussed may be, NY is still a blue state overall and will protect abortion, contraceptives, and same-sex marriage (and interracial marriage and integrated schools, if those decisions are also ultimately remanded to being state-specific decisions). This is why I don't really understand the OP's fears of NY's politics that much.

I live just south here in Pennsylvania. Our state is truly PURPLE. We voted for Trump (barely) in 2016 and Biden (barely) in 2020. Our gubernatorial race between a moderate Democrat (Shapiro) and a far-right "Big Lie" Trumper (Mastriano) is neck-and-neck right now, and if the latter becomes governor he may utilize our Republican-controlled state legislature to ban same-sex marriage; abortion; contraceptives; interracial marriage; and integrated schools in PA. As such I am researching possible relocation to Upstate NY and am lurking in this thread for that reason. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia would implode socioeconomically if that were to happen (some Pittsburgh tech firms and start-ups have already announced they'll leave PA if Mastriano is elected as our governor and tries to ban abortion and/or same-sex marriage in PA).

Liberals living in red areas of blue states need not worry about civil liberties. Liberals living in blue cities within purple or red states, as I do? Yes. We should be very worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Tioga county is a conservative county..and guess what..we like it that way. Given that some of these posters put a premium on "blue" areas...you would find Ithaca in your comfort zone. And for what it's worth..I am a Libertarian. But have found the term.."liberal" attached to democrats somewhat of a miscue as most dems I know/have met want things , "their way or the highway"..actually just want things their way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
ps: This may come as a shock to those seeking blue area refuge. Down the road from my farm is a woman who is lesbian (WHO CARES). I have worked on her tractor for her. Down the road in the other direction is a gay couple (WHO CARES). I was invited to a 4th barbecue.. I'd say most folks there were no doubt Republicans. You don't have to have the same views on everything, just to get along as neighbors. In the past..had 2 black families in my area( gone-job tansfers)..again..did folks notice they were black?...obviously...and guess what (WHO CARED).
I work for the police as a records analyst in a liberal PA city. I am one of only a few liberals in a very conservative office. With that being said my colleagues all have a "live and let live" outlook towards me being a gay male. I don't have pride symbols on my desk, and I only have one photo of my fiancé and I on my desk, which has garnered no scrutiny. The vast majority of Republicans don't care about anyone's sexual orientation. I don't care that most of my colleagues voted for Trump. I will care more if they vote for Mastriano over Shapiro for PA governor, though, because overturning abortion and same-sex marriage in PA are on this Republican candidate's radar, so that will show me that my colleagues don't really respect me as a human at that point.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is due to the New York State Land office going back to when they were forming towns out of the Military Tract. This explains the origins of the classical names a bit better: York Staters: What's in a Name No.2: The Origins of Classical Place Names in Upstate New York

As for Ithaca, while smaller, it would be a good fit in terms of feel and parts of the town of Ithaca, as well as the town of Lansing where they meet north/NE of the city of Ithaca is really the only truly suburban portion of the area. I'm thinking of the area that includes Cayuga Heights(village) and Northeast Ithaca(cdp) in the town of Ithaca next to the village of Lansing portion of the town of Lansing. The latter has the area mall and some big box shopping. Basically this area on each side of Route 13: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4811...2!9m2!1b1!2i37
Also, this area on the outer South Side of the city could be another area to look into: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4294...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

As mentioned though, it isn't as affordable as the bigger areas, but it has had some steady population growth in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York