Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 07:28 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,137,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This may be a good example of why there are low numbers, along with the historical information given in other posts, as they offer some context: https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news...nth-this-year/
Up until 2 years ago, this day wasn't even heard of in Rochester. Now it's a full holiday (for some).

I don't really understand, as I know I will be scolded, but it's a celebration for the end of slavery. That's always the question I ask. If slavery was so bad, why do we keep the memories alive. Slavery still exists around the world. America ended slavery long, long ago. That's something to celebrate!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 12:33 PM

93,855 posts, read 124,582,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Up until 2 years ago, this day wasn't even heard of in Rochester. Now it's a full holiday (for some).

I don't really understand, as I know I will be scolded, but it's a celebration for the end of slavery. That's always the question I ask. If slavery was so bad, why do we keep the memories alive. Slavery still exists around the world. America ended slavery long, long ago. That's something to celebrate!!!!
I’m not sure that people in Rochester didn’t know about it. It has just become more “mainstream” now, given everything going on in recent years. Buffalo and Syracuse have had Juneteenth celebrations for about 47 and 35 years or so, respectively and other places in NY have had events for at least several years(Watertown comes to mind).

You actually answered your own question, as it is a celebration of freedom. That is the point and ironically, it took 2 years for people in Texas to get notified. There is literally a video in the Upstate African American/black thread that explains all of this.

Lastly, this is a great example of how the lack of this education makes a wide range of people “victims” to the lack of education about this country/the United States. So, it isn’t so much a matter of getting “scolded”, but this is just an example of history that just isn’t taught in the classroom and how things can be mislabeled, but is a fact of American history. People of African descent actually have a longer history of being enslaved in what is/to become the United States than not, if we go by the usual historical narrative. Think about that…

Old 06-19-2022, 02:29 PM

5,763 posts, read 4,137,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Think about that…
Hmm. Think about this........................

"The Mind is it's own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of hell, a hell of Heaven"
John Milton

Most black people are prisoners only in their mind, and there are plenty of others profiting from perpetuating this mindset. Very sad

Old 06-19-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Hmm. Think about this........................

"The Mind is it's own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of hell, a hell of Heaven"
John Milton

Most black people are prisoners only in their mind, and there are plenty of others profiting from perpetuating this mindset. Very sad
Nah, you're overthinking what I said or are just trying to sound philosophical(and stereotypical/generalizing, as usual). Everything said was a fact, not an opinion.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:39 AM

To get back on track, this is a symphony orchestra in Amherst outside of Buffalo: https://www.amherstsymphony.com/

This chamber ensemble is also in Amherst: Home - Amherst Chamber Ensembles, Inc.

Amherst is actually the biggest suburban town in Upstate NY in terms of population, with about 130,000 people. In fact, it is actually the 4th most populated municipality in Upstate NY behind only the cities of Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse, in that order.

In the Eggertsville (CDP) portion of the town, you can have access to the Metro Rail, as this stop isn’t too far of a walk from parts of that community: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univ...alo_Metro_Rail)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-20-2022 at 04:53 AM..

Old 06-24-2022, 11:24 AM

426 posts, read 162,016 times
So I think after the official ruling from SCOTUS allowing for the ban of abortion from conception in my state to go into effect that maybe now we can move past the idea that I’m just paranoid?

Amherst is 130,000? Sounds comparable to my current town, then.

Earlier this morning, my mom and I got in a convo and expressed she really does want to move. So I’m keeping that hope alive that we can move together. Is upstate NY good or decent for retired people?

I noticed Maine mentioned once as a place people like to retire, so I’ll bring up the Portland area with my parents.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
So I think after the official ruling from SCOTUS allowing for the ban of abortion from conception in my state to go into effect that maybe now we can move past the idea that I’m just paranoid?

Amherst is 130,000? Sounds comparable to my current town, then.

Earlier this morning, my mom and I got in a convo and expressed she really does want to move. So I’m keeping that hope alive that we can move together. Is upstate NY good or decent for retired people?

I noticed Maine mentioned once as a place people like to retire, so I’ll bring up the Portland area with my parents.
You have some retired people that stay. It may be a matter of where you stay/live in terms of proximity to services, if you are looking to rent or buy, access to public transportation, budget, etc. My parents who are retired are able to stay in their home they have paid off and have lived in for almost 41 years in a school district that is in demand in the Syracuse area. So, there are examples of people that stay in retirement.

Is there anything in particular that she would be looking for as a retiree?

As for Amherst, it would have everything you pretty much need, while also being next to Buffalo. So, you would be close to a lot of amenities.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:56 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,277,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
I’m thinking Parts of north or South Carolina would be a better fit.
I lived in both states. Would move back.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:23 PM

^I doubt that either one would work, given what the OP is looking for though.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:43 PM

426 posts, read 162,016 times
Most definitely not what I'm looking for. South Carolina is a very red state. North Carolina, well, I don't trust it one bit. Swing states are not safe. and most certainly not ones that voted for Trump in both elections.

Anyway, as for your last post, ckhthankgod, I would have to talk to them about that. They're out of town for a few weeks so I can't do much talking on the subject right now.

A lot of my closer family members want to move but are limited. They are fully encouraging me to do so.

I have a trip to Colorado at the end of this month. I have decided that I am saving up for a visit to the Northeast after that. How that's going to work, I don't know, since I'm still split between New England or upstate NY. But I've got to get serious about this, because things are going South fast down here. (pun not intended =P)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York