Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:39 PM

426 posts, read 161,201 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of that info everyone. Looks like I was wrong about the transit.

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. There are so many options and I don't even know how to narrow down my options! In addition to upstate NY, I still have other options in New England (Springfield area MA, Providence RI, and Hartford CT) and it's really tough for me to pick between them all!

I must note I have wanted to live in New England for a very long time. But, on the other hand, it sounds like there is a big case to be made for the upstate NY cities. My heart is torn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 07:11 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
Thank you for all of that info everyone. Looks like I was wrong about the transit.

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. There are so many options and I don't even know how to narrow down my options! In addition to upstate NY, I still have other options in New England (Springfield area MA, Providence RI, and Hartford CT) and it's really tough for me to pick between them all!

I must note I have wanted to live in New England for a very long time. But, on the other hand, it sounds like there is a big case to be made for the upstate NY cities. My heart is torn.
What makes you want to live in New England? I ask because you may find what you are looking for in Upstate NY, which is generally more affordable.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:43 PM

1,213 posts, read 569,473 times
Try the Portland Maine area.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What makes you want to live in New England? I ask because you may find what you are looking for in Upstate NY, which is generally more affordable.
That is a good question. I think a lot of it has to do with the history going back to 1600s and 1500s. All of the neat really old buildings, and the architectural style. Now those are pretty shallow reasons, I guess.

It looks like Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo all started in the 19th century, so a bit later.

Also, it's about the close proximity to Boston and all that it offers. Especially on the classical music scene. My interest in classical music primarily skews a bit earlier than what the average symphony/ensemble in a city plays (including our own in Tulsa, they never play anything Baroque or before). Meanwhile, Boston has its own Early Music Festival. Also this!

Alas, a quick search just from Rochester, NY alone pulls up this. Which indicates I should open my mind! Perhaps it's just Tulsa is uniquely lacking in the early music performance department...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Try the Portland Maine area.

Portland, ME is pretty pricey, is it not?

Old 06-01-2022, 08:35 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,090,850 times
Quote:

Until you actually visit a place and stay for awhile, you will never really begin to develop a better understanding of your likes and dislikes about an area. Some places look good on paper, but in person just something about it may not feel right, and other places not on your radar at all may just click positive in your brain when visiting.

There are no two ways around this, you need to visit a place and make an informed decision, you certainly can't afford making a bad decision by moving somewhere sight unseen that turns out to be wrong for you.

You could catch all 3 NE cities on one trip (regular bus service between cities), and the 3 NY cities on a different trip (also connected directly by Amtrak and bus services - Amtrak connects all the largest cities in NY, including Albany that you also may like). Uber, bus, taxi, train. If you can't drive, at least get a "feel" for the places.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
That is a good question. I think a lot of it has to do with the history going back to 1600s and 1500s. All of the neat really old buildings, and the architectural style. Now those are pretty shallow reasons, I guess.

It looks like Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo all started in the 19th century, so a bit later.

Also, it's about the close proximity to Boston and all that it offers. Especially on the classical music scene. My interest in classical music primarily skews a bit earlier than what the average symphony/ensemble in a city plays (including our own in Tulsa, they never play anything Baroque or before). Meanwhile, Boston has its own Early Music Festival. Also this!

Alas, a quick search just from Rochester, NY alone pulls up this. Which indicates I should open my mind! Perhaps it's just Tulsa is uniquely lacking in the early music performance department...

Out of the bigger Upstate areas, Albany would be the oldest out of the bunch, as I believe it was incorporated in 1664. It also is the only area with a strong rowhome presence and some nice, unique older architecture.

You may be surprised by what the Upstate NY cities/areas offer in terms of early, classical music. For instance, you may like this Ithaca based group, which also does performances in Syracuse: https://nysbaroque.com/

Or this group in Buffalo: https://www.facebook.com/PavanaEarlyMusic/

This vocal group is in Syracuse: https://www.scholasyracuse.com/about-us

All of them have chamber ensembles as well.

Portland does have an overall cost of living a bit higher than that of Upstate NY areas.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:52 PM

1,213 posts, read 569,473 times
There’s deals in Portland. It’s not *that* expensive. Yet.
But it’s growing more popular. Used to be a hidden gem but now it’s becoming very progressive and artsy-fartsy-trendy.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:11 AM

^It is smaller than any of the bigger Upstate NY metros, including the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area. So, I don’t know if that would be an issue for the OP.

While not THAT expensive, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are more affordable and bigger areas. https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/download.cfm

Source: https://www.bea.gov/data/prices-infl...and-metro-area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...#United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combin...tistical_areas

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2022 at 03:25 AM..

Old 06-02-2022, 10:29 AM

5,743 posts, read 4,120,674 times
Quote:

I have to admit, I love New England too, for many of the same reasons. But I love Rochester and I'm not leaving. I do live on the water, so that helps.

It sounds like you love the quant seaside villages, and that sort of thing. We are blessed in Rochester with a multitude of waterways and dotted with shops and restaurants We have the Figer Lakes Region with over 120 wineries, 100 microbrews, cheeseries, cideries and gorgeous foliage in the fall.

The Eastman School of music, Rochester Philharmonic, Eastman Theatre and Kodak Hall are all downtown. One of the world's largest music libraries. Also the 8 day Rochester Jazz Festival is coming up soon.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:41 PM

I forgot to mention but another reason that drives to me to New England is how it is the least religious part of the nation. Nevertheless, that's more of a bonus. New York clearly isn't letting religion discriminate against LGBT people and women, and that is what matters in the end. But, as a non-religious person myself, there's just something really neat about seeing those numbers in New England. It would be cool to live in such a place.

Anyway, it's very much true that upstate NY looks to have a lot of classical music culture. I didn't know that Eastman was there. Looks like I wouldn't be lacking in any of the cities we have mentioned. =) I'm driven toward Rochester at this point, but am not closing my mind to the other cities!

In regards to the climate, I've seen reports that Rochester is cloudy all winter and people complain about that. I may have noted in my original post that I like overcast weather. I wonder if the other seasons also have a lot of overcast days? This may depend on the city. I imagine Buffalo and Rochester would see more overcast days than Syracuse and especially Albany (as you get further away from the great lakes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York