Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 07:53 PM

93,898 posts, read 124,640,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
Most definitely not what I'm looking for. South Carolina is a very red state. North Carolina, well, I don't trust it one bit. Swing states are not safe. and most certainly not ones that voted for Trump in both elections.

Anyway, as for your last post, ckhthankgod, I would have to talk to them about that. They're out of town for a few weeks so I can't do much talking on the subject right now.

A lot of my closer family members want to move but are limited. They are fully encouraging me to do so.

I have a trip to Colorado at the end of this month. I have decided that I am saving up for a visit to the Northeast after that. How that's going to work, I don't know, since I'm still split between New England or upstate NY. But I've got to get serious about this, because things are going South fast down here. (pun not intended =P)
Perhaps you could stay around the Albany area or western MA and check out some areas in both Upstate and New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 10:48 AM

11,395 posts, read 9,317,843 times
I read the thread and I'm curious why Binghamton was not mentioned. From what I read it's considered upstate by multiple sources. I read a lot of nice things about it but also that crime, which I'd like to get away from, is a bit higher there than some other areas in upstate.

I don't want to derail this topic and I'm not sure I am serious enough at this time to start my own topic but it's definitely something I am kicking around. Both scenic hiking trails and affordability caught my eye. I'm older but active and healthy but at the same time I realize that may not be the case in several years. Also interested in other parts of upstate so I will be following this thread. If Binghamton is too red then that would not work for me as I desire to belong to some kind of social circle which currently I have none. Agree that New England, which interests me a lot for the same reasons as the OP, seems very expensive. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I read the thread and I'm curious why Binghamton was not mentioned. From what I read it's considered upstate by multiple sources. I read a lot of nice things about it but also that crime, which I'd like to get away from, is a bit higher there than some other areas in upstate.

I don't want to derail this topic and I'm not sure I am serious enough at this time to start my own topic but it's definitely something I am kicking around. Both scenic hiking trails and affordability caught my eye. I'm older but active and healthy but at the same time I realize that may not be the case in several years. Also interested in other parts of upstate so I will be following this thread. If Binghamton is too red then that would not work for me as I desire to belong to some kind of social circle which currently I have none. Agree that New England, which interests me a lot for the same reasons as the OP, seems very expensive. Thanks.
Binghamton is interesting in that it could work, but if political aspects play a part in the decision, it may not work. The city itself has actually had a Republican mayor since at least 2014 and the current one is as well. It has also been known for being relatively gay friendly.

Vestal, which is where Binghamton University is located would be a suburban town that would fit what the OP is looking for. So, it could work, but it just comes down to how much one values certain aspects.

I will also say that Upstate NY in general is pretty moderate, with leanings one way or the other. You can also have an instance where a small city can have a Republican mayor that is openly gay. This was the case for Plattsburgh not that long ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel...rt_(politician)

https://www.northcountrypublicradio....n-marriage-gop

Old 07-05-2022, 07:26 AM

^Speaking of Binghamton, here is an example from that city/area, Retired pastor once faced trial for performing same-sex weddings: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...e-sex-weddings

Old 07-05-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Speaking of Binghamton, here is an example from that city/area, Retired pastor once faced trial for performing same-sex weddings: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...e-sex-weddings
I read about their representative in congress, Claudia Tenney. What a disaster. She is exact opposite of all things I stand for. I wouldn't have anything to do with anyone who voted for her either.

The vote 2 years ago was very close. Maybe common sense will prevail and she will be voted out come November...

Old 07-05-2022, 11:24 AM

426 posts, read 162,162 times
Trump won the county in 2016, that’s a big yikes for me! Of course, it’s still in NY, so I’d have my human rights. But why Binghamton instead of Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, or Albany? Just curious what would make Binghamton enticing?

Old 07-05-2022, 01:55 PM

^ already explained:
Quote:
Both scenic hiking trails and affordability caught my eye.
Since it wasn't mentioned I thought I would ask why. As I said I am not familiar with the area.

"Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse" appear to get more snow. Maybe prefer a little further south too. I can take some snow but...

I am looking at Albany.

Last edited by John13; 07-05-2022 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 02:12 PM

426 posts, read 162,162 times
I see, the former is not a factor for me.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:05 AM

961 posts, read 2,510,122 times
Tioga county is a conservative county..and guess what..we like it that way. Given that some of these posters put a premium on "blue" areas...you would find Ithaca in your comfort zone. And for what it's worth..I am a Libertarian. But have found the term.."liberal" attached to democrats somewhat of a miscue as most dems I know/have met want things , "their way or the highway"..actually just want things their way.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:22 AM

961 posts, read 2,510,122 times
ps: This may come as a shock to those seeking blue area refuge. Down the road from my farm is a woman who is lesbian (WHO CARES). I have worked on her tractor for her. Down the road in the other direction is a gay couple (WHO CARES). I was invited to a 4th barbecue.. I'd say most folks there were no doubt Republicans. You don't have to have the same views on everything, just to get along as neighbors. In the past..had 2 black families in my area( gone-job tansfers)..again..did folks notice they were black?...obviously...and guess what (WHO CARED).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York