Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 11:46 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,103,276 times

Advertisements

I would say there aren't as many, very many far left progressives, but they appear to be more, as they are more vocal than the average in social media, etc.

It's hard to gauge how many Republicans, or Conservatives, as there is a good chance of getting your car keyed, if you have, for instance a Trump sticker on your car. I still see hillary bumper stickers, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 12:25 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I would say there aren't as many, very many far left progressives, but they appear to be more, as they are more vocal than the average in social media, etc.

It's hard to gauge how many Republicans, or Conservatives, as there is a good chance of getting your car keyed, if you have, for instance a Trump sticker on your car. I still see hillary bumper stickers, however.
You can see both up here, but most people don't "wear their leaning on their sleeve" either way. Then, you have people that are just down the middle/it depends on the topic.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-14-2023 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-14-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
I love Brighton and think the OP might really like it too. Very close-in to Rochester. Beautiful neighborhoods. When I was visiting I saw lots of pride flags, BLM signs, etc. Tons of restaurant options, amazing groceries, all kinds of stores, medical offices, it's a really convenient location. The Rochester area has performing arts events, museums, festivals, historical sites, etc. Plenty of apartment complexes in Brighton in addition to the wonderful older homes. Seems like a very safe area to me. The one thing I'm not sure about is public transportation in Brighton, which you mentioned in your OP is important to you. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise you about that.

Good luck to you, I really hope you find a place you love.
I don't think this has been addressed before or at least directly, but here are bus lines that serve the town: https://www.myrts.com/Portals/0/Sche...-01-125645-393

https://www.myrts.com/Portals/0/Sche...-01-125639-547

https://www.myrts.com/Portals/0/Sche...-01-125639-400

https://www.myrts.com/Portals/0/Sche...-01-125646-103

https://www.myrts.com/Portals/0/Sche...-01-125640-840

https://www.myrts.com/Portals/0/Sche...-01-125640-867

https://www.myrts.com/Portals/0/Sche...-01-125634-157

Old 04-24-2023, 11:30 AM

426 posts, read 160,368 times
Hello, I appreciate you all posting more from time to time!

Outer_Bluegrass: I understand this is a long topic and I don’t expect you to have read it all, but I have responded to this line of thought multiple times. The politics of the state government are of the utmost importance to me. Sure, I’d really love to live in a blue area of a blue state, but the fact of the matter is that in a blue state, the right wingers don’t have power. I know there are Republican politicians in New York, but they are powerless when it comes to my reproductive rights.

When thinking of upstate NY I have been thinking of the blue areas not the red ones. Rochester looks like my favorite area.

However, I want to note that over the past half a year or so, after much consideration I am leaning heavily toward moving to Connecticut. The fact of the matter is that I want my parents to be able to come and upstate NY would be too cold and dreary for them. (I use the word “dreary” here even knowing that’s something I would LOVE lol).

I thank you everyone for your contributions over the past year to help me in deciding on which area to move.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
Hello, I appreciate you all posting more from time to time!

Outer_Bluegrass: I understand this is a long topic and I don’t expect you to have read it all, but I have responded to this line of thought multiple times. The politics of the state government are of the utmost importance to me. Sure, I’d really love to live in a blue area of a blue state, but the fact of the matter is that in a blue state, the right wingers don’t have power. I know there are Republican politicians in New York, but they are powerless when it comes to my reproductive rights.

When thinking of upstate NY I have been thinking of the blue areas not the red ones. Rochester looks like my favorite area.

However, I want to note that over the past half a year or so, after much consideration I am leaning heavily toward moving to Connecticut. The fact of the matter is that I want my parents to be able to come and upstate NY would be too cold and dreary for them. (I use the word “dreary” here even knowing that’s something I would LOVE lol).

I thank you everyone for your contributions over the past year to help me in deciding on which area to move.
No problem and if you have questions later, don’t be afraid to ask.

Just curious, but what part of CT are you considering? I know New Haven, Stamford and Greenwich are a few cities that are viewed favorably. West Hartford and Fairfield are a couple of the favorable suburbs that offer walkability.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:27 AM

426 posts, read 160,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No problem and if you have questions later, don’t be afraid to ask.

Just curious, but what part of CT are you considering? I know New Haven, Stamford and Greenwich are a few cities that are viewed favorably. West Hartford and Fairfield are a couple of the favorable suburbs that offer walkability.
I’m looking toward the Hartford area. Would love West Hartford if I can manage, we’ll see. I know that the most popular areas of the state are in the SW, and thus they’re really expensive.

I hear mixed things about Hartford so I hope to not live in the city itself, but instead a suburb nearby. West Hartford is talked up a lot, so I hope to end up there somehow lol

Old 04-25-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I’m looking toward the Hartford area. Would love West Hartford if I can manage, we’ll see. I know that the most popular areas of the state are in the SW, and thus they’re really expensive.

I hear mixed things about Hartford so I hope to not live in the city itself, but instead a suburb nearby. West Hartford is talked up a lot, so I hope to end up there somehow lol
West Hartford is a community that gets talked about a lot in terms of the Hartford area and would fit the walkability criteria. Hartford is known for its nice suburbs, but the city doesn't seem to be as well liked, from what I've seen on C-D(for what that is worth).

To bring back to the thread topic, terms of latitude, it roughly on par with NY cities such as Kingston and Poughkeepsie geographically. So, if NY is still an option, the mid Hudson Valley may be a part of the state to look into, if you haven't already.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:29 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,430,893 times
One drawback of the Albany area is that if anything happens...like a major natural disaster.. hurricanes, earthquakes or tsunami..on the northeast coast around Boston or New York City then most of the migration of refugees would probably flee to the Albany area.

Central and Western New York area further away from the east coast megalopolis huge population centers. So if you take climate change seriously or a potential future world war then moving more inland is probably a safer place to live.

I really like the energy and vibe of the Rochester suburbs but I have to point out something that is a con to the area. Japan evacuated the population within a 20 mile radius around their nuclear power plant that had problems. A large portion of the Eastern suburbs of Rochester are within a 20 mile radius of a nuclear power plant. The Buffalo area doesn't have a nuclear power plant nearby. The nuclear power plant in Oswego County is over 35 miles to the suburbs of Syracuse. Onondaga county..Syracuse's county is the place where Oswego County residents would evacuate in the case of an emergency at the plant in Oswego. So the Syracuse suburbs are much further away from a nuclear power plant than many of the suburbs of Rochester.

In my opinion the Syracuse NY area is the safest Metropolitan Area in Upstate NY based on natural disasters, distance from the coasts, crime in the suburbs, and dangers like the proximity of living near a nuclear power plant.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:55 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,103,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
One drawback of the Albany area is that if anything happens...like a major natural disaster.. hurricanes, earthquakes or tsunami..on the northeast coast around Boston or New York City then most of the migration of refugees would probably flee to the Albany area.

Central and Western New York area further away from the east coast megalopolis huge population centers. So if you take climate change seriously or a potential future world war then moving more inland is probably a safer place to live.

I really like the energy and vibe of the Rochester suburbs but I have to point out something that is a con to the area. Japan evacuated the population within a 20 mile radius around their nuclear power plant that had problems. A large portion of the Eastern suburbs of Rochester are within a 20 mile radius of a nuclear power plant. The Buffalo area doesn't have a nuclear power plant nearby. The nuclear power plant in Oswego County is over 35 miles to the suburbs of Syracuse. Onondaga county..Syracuse's county is the place where Oswego County residents would evacuate in the case of an emergency at the plant in Oswego. So the Syracuse suburbs are much further away from a nuclear power plant than many of the suburbs of Rochester.

In my opinion the Syracuse NY area is the safest Metropolitan Area in Upstate NY based on natural disasters, distance from the coasts, crime in the suburbs, and dangers like the proximity of living near a nuclear power plant.
I think you're making too much of an issue regarding nuclear power plants. The operation, maintenance and safety protocols all have multiple layers of red tape and multiple employees to do such mundane things as changing a light bulb. Many of the operators have been in the field since operating nuclear vessels in the Navy.

Nuclear power IS making a comeback, as many have found windmills and solar just as, or more dirty than oil.

I can see the Ginna nuclear plant from my house. To me, it's not frightening. It's reassuring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York